Home > Love, Parenting, Uncategorized > The Cutting Wrench

The Cutting Wrench

Yesterday morning, I smiled as I typed a tweet:

My 2yo can’t remember the word “scissors,” so he calls them “the cutting wrench.”

“Could you open this with the cutting wrench, peez?!” 🙂

I’ve loved Littler J’s way of describing scissors since he first used it.

This morning, I snipped in two a paper wristband I’d been wearing before tossing it in the trash.

“Get the scissors out the trash can!” Littler J demanded.

“Oh, no, they’re not in the trash can,” I said as I pulled them out from behind the sink. “I just threw away my wristband.”

Satisfied, he turned his attention elsewhere as it dawned on me what he’d just said.

“Hon,” I called to my husband, a couple rooms away. “He just said ‘scissors!'”

“Noooooooooo!” Anthony called back.

Littler J may now know the correct word for scissors, but I’ll have–forever–the memory of giggling with a full heart each time he asked me to use “the cutting wrench.”

1. December 4, 2016 at 6:06 am

“Helptitopter” was my son’s word for helicopter. Broke my heart when he learned to say it correctly. 🙂

2. Deb
    December 4, 2016 at 7:37 am

“Chip-lloyd” for chipotle… his sisters and I still enjoy teasing my son about that one.

• December 4, 2016 at 7:39 am

*giggle* That’s adorable!

I remember my siblings saying “hostipal.” I probably did, too, ’cause both my boys did the same, briefly. 🙂

3. December 4, 2016 at 7:54 am

I remember when I was first learning to read, “Cat-holic”. I thought there were churches for people who really liked cats…

• December 4, 2016 at 7:56 am

LOL! I actually read a horror novel in a very literal frame of mind one day in college. I read “Catholic” as cat-holic, and immediately envisioned a person on fire frantically flapping his arms when reading the word “firearm.” That was an all around special day!

4. December 4, 2016 at 7:55 am

(And cutting wrench is possibly the cutest thing ever. The only thing for my littlest is that he likes to ask for Star Wars by saying “Storm Poopers!”)

• December 4, 2016 at 7:57 am

“Storm poopers” made both of us LOL here!

The first time Littler asked for me to open yogurt with “the cutting wrench,” he flapped his hands to demonstrated using scissors. I just about melted from the cuteness.

5. December 4, 2016 at 10:33 am

I think I have missed so much, growing up and everything.

6. December 4, 2016 at 10:54 am

Awww.
    I suspect that cutting wrenches have carved a home in your family dictionary.

7. December 4, 2016 at 11:35 am

My grandson still calls “Darth Vader” “Dark Mayter” most days, but I know it won’t be long.

8. December 9, 2016 at 10:01 am

I love kid malapropisms! The other day Peeper called the shower squeegee “squid jerkey.”