Home > politics, Social Justice, Uncategorized > My vote? That you awaken

My vote? That you awaken

I was going to vote for Hillary Clinton.

Something big happened between my forming that intention and my voting today:

I read.

I read for a couple hundred hours. I read far and wide, and was horrified by what I discovered.

Clinton’s horrific history of decades of human rights abuses is copiously documented, yet failed to appear in virtually any mainstream reporting. The origin of this silence was made clear by WikiLeaks, six-time Nobel Peace Prize nominee and winner of multiple journalistic awards, which revealed that the DNC has been carefully orchestrating Clinton’s installment since early 2014. (Did you know that Obama’s cabinet was basically selected by Citibank? No? Surprise! The U.S. is actually an oligarchy!)

Many happily vote for Clinton today, assuming that the reason they’ve not heard much about Clinton wrongdoings is that she hasn’t done much wrong. It would’ve appeared in the news otherwise, right?

Wrong. Luckily for me, I happened to read Glenn Greenwald’s bestselling With Liberty and Justice for Some, which delved into how mainstream media has long since ceased to be independent of government.

I saw the divide between truth and what was presented as truth, and I was appalled.

The last couple of months, I’ve carried on my shoulders the fact that the U.S. is currently bombing seven predominantly Muslim countries with the quiet blessing of its complacent citizens, and with the long, hearty endorsement of the “Democratic” candidate, Hillary Clinton.

My educated liberal friends laugh at Trump voters as uneducated and horrible, but from my vantage point, it’s they who have failed the world. It’s they who’ve said, “I stand for human rights!” while actively supporting kindly looking officials who obliterate entire families.

So, today, I cast my presidential vote for Bernie Sanders, all the while hoping and praying that Trump manages to steal the election.

Trump is horrifying, to be sure. It’s just that after reading up on Hillary, I now understand him to be far the less horrifying candidate of the two.

Should Hillary be elected, I pray to God that my friends will open their eyes.

But I fear, oh how I fear, they will shrug, sigh, and say, “Phew!”

(Hey, it’s not my kids who’ll be killed by our bombs.)

1. November 8, 2016 at 7:58 pm

I so wanted Bernie. We were square in Bernie’s court. I still feel that Hillary stole the nomination from Bernie. That said, I must say here that I don’t think we have much if any say or control over what our country does abroad. There is so much going on that we never know about. I remember like it was yesterday when I was watching a Nicholas Cage film (Lord of War) where I became aware of how much money our country makes funding wars abroad. It sickened me. I can’t even tell you. I think there is a lot of dirt to be shared about Donald Trump and I find it interesting that wiki leaks seems to be targeting only one candidate. I am so worried over this election, and it’s the first time I have ever been afraid for my own well being. My heart aches for the news that you shared, and I have done some reading, and it is horrific. I guess my point is that I believe these type of things have been going on for some time without our knowledge or consent. I also don’t think it’s going to end any time soon no matter who wins.

• November 8, 2016 at 8:07 pm

This type of thing has been going on for quite some time, but I was clueless. For Wikileaks, the important thing to know is that Trump is horrific and most of Trump’s horrors are already public knowledge. You can also read Julian Assange’s statement about what Wikileaks is… https://wikileaks.org/Assange-Statement-on-the-US-Election.html. They leak information that is credible and provided to them. It may seem one-sided, but the democratic party has also held a lot more sway over the media than the GOP this election, and also, if you’ve read the Wikileaks, helped arrange Trump to be the candidate, since he was the only one whom her staffers believed HRC had a shot against… It all seems…pointless. How can we, the common person, compete against the sheer money, influence and power?

• November 8, 2016 at 8:22 pm

Oh, man–yay, Rache! You were addressing this piece of things as I wrote my novella! :p

Are you on the WikiLeaks Task Force?

Your point about how Trump was elevated to improve Clinton’s chances is important. That’s probably something I should start emphasizing when I talk about how terrifying/revealing they are.

There’s so much in the leaks that I don’t even know where to start. It just affirmed that when we get that icky feeling watching people interact, as you and I did watching Clinton (dis)engage with those BLM activists, it shouldn’t be suppressed but explored. Pursuing the question can lead to understanding it’s nothing, or truth that can then be changed.

It’s been a jarring last few months, coming to begin understanding all this stuff I’d never have dreamed of six months ago. All the same, I’m glad. I’m grateful to Bernie for opening my eyes that I might yet help leave behind a habitable world for our kids. ♥

• November 8, 2016 at 8:29 pm

Is that a real thing, the WikiLeaks Task Force? And I second the sentiment re: Bernie. If only our democratic representatives at the DNC had believed that they were supposed to be impartial and ensure democracy was upheld, without having favorites.

• November 8, 2016 at 8:36 pm

It is a real thing! https://twitter.com/WLTaskForce

Because of their fiscal constraints, they wanted to engage readers to respond to misinformation and disinformation being perpetuated as fact. This gives them a no-cost way to have a network of fact-checkers.

A lot of people are astonished that WikiLeaks was nominated for six consecutive peace prizes. It’s because transparency yields greater opportunity for peace through less shady dealings. This is, of course, exactly why the Obama administration has come down so hard on whistleblowers and leakers–harder by far than any other administration. You just can’t hide as much stuff in places where the light’s shining bright.

I wish the DNC had represented us, not them. I wish, wish, wish that. But they misjudged just how uninformed and compliant they’d actually made the citizenry. *shudder*

(That’s still the creepiest of all the emails for me. I went from going, “You know, I think they’re defunding education intentionally” to “oh, shit, they really are.” Then, of course, The Shock Doctrine cinched that.)

• November 8, 2016 at 8:38 pm

Yes, oh, my. I’m all about that.

• November 9, 2016 at 6:41 am

We can’t. 😦

• November 8, 2016 at 8:17 pm

WikiLeaks publishes materials leaked to it. It doesn’t itself go out and hack. This means that the fact it hasn’t published anything on Trump reflects that no one leaked damaging Trump materials to it. (Assange did once say it would probably be hard to find anything more damaging on Trump than what he says on a daily basis, which made me LOL. Indeed!)

One thing that’s eminently clear from reading the Podesta emails is that Hillary did steal the election. She did this in ways fairly mundane and others that left me shaken by how much freedom we’ve already lost in the U.S. I’d read that U.S. is losing ground in rankings of free nations, but I only truly understood it reading through the emails. The way Google, almost all mainstream media outlets, foreign financiers, and anyone/everyone else you could imagine colluded to install her is … horrifying. While everyone’s been proclaiming the orange one a fascist, we’ve had actual fascism burgeoning under our noses. We just couldn’t see it because of how well it’s been concealed.

I think we have more control than we understand, especially when we band together. That remains one of the profoundest lessons I’ve learned in my last few months of political education: love was the enemy of U.S.-sponsored torture regimes throughout the world. Torturers tried to squash it because it’s powerful. When we love each other, when we work together, we can change so much. But if we believe we have no power–because that’s what we’re taught to believe, not for our benefit–then we don’t.

So while Trump horrifies me, he also represents the possibility that people around me will look around and see that the bombings we commit overseas are symptomatic of a greater ill. They’re tied to violence we’re seeing against indigenous people in North Dakota and police/state violence against marginalized communities. In seeing these things, in understanding how they fit together, I believe there’s a chance we’ll become more powerful by far than we could under the U.S. corporate president of choice.

I understand the fear. I’m definitely not excited by the prospect of a Trump presidency, but by the same token … with everything I’ve read the last few months, I’m much more hopeful about our prospects of survival under Trump than Clinton. Because … while both are scary, only one is existential level scary because of the countless unholy alliances she’s forged in the name of money.

2. November 9, 2016 at 6:04 am

I do hope that if Bernie Sanders doesn’t run in 2020, someone like him will run in his place. My suspicion is that the true ramifications of this year’s election will play out over the coming four years. Trump, for all his shortcomings, appears to be transparent with what he says, feels, and thinks. Clinton is the opposite and has hidden under the veil of the oligarchy her entire career. Americans, seeing the hypocrisy of that, decided that it was in their best interest to make sure she wasn’t elected. Trump is not my President, but that doesn’t mean that I disrespect him without having reasons to do so. Time will be the measure of how long that respect remains in place. The election being over doesn’t stop me from continuing to read and learn about the true nature of our current oligarch plutocracy and fighting to reestablish our constitutional democracy. First on that list, fighting to remove the two-party stranglehold that’s existed for far too long. Johnson/Stein vs. Commission on Presidential Debates is the start and I plan on starting today by working on an open letter post to the CPD.

3. November 9, 2016 at 8:36 am

It is so interesting reading your blog and the comments. I did not vote for Trump but I am no way a Bernie Sanders supporter. I am a veteran and government contractor who absolutely agrees that our bombings overseas are absolutely unacceptable. I have no idea how to stop it. While I am not an isolationist in the traditional since, I am certainly a proponent of withdrawing our military presence and covert operations around the world from combat and covert operations in order to focus on strengthening our own economy and morality in the U.S. The military is and has been used for decades now to support corporate growth under the guise of nation building and fighting terrorism. Personally, the smaller a government, the more beneficial to its citizens it will be. Social norms and mores are what hold a society together, not government – because it can’t. It was never meant to. The only way it works is if the military is dominant and inflicting the will of the government on the people (think Roman Empire, Ghengus Khan, Alexander the Great, even Muhammad during his lifetime for uniting the Arab nations). What do you think?
    Keith

• November 9, 2016 at 4:38 pm

I started replying to this on my lunch break, but my connection failed and my comment disappeared! Short form since I’m still on my phone, I (1) agree with almost everything you’ve stated and (2) am amazed you expressed it so succinctly.

My one perceived divergence is in the size of government. It is terrifying how the federal government has expanded its reach through federal grants, thus militarizing police, but I don’t know that a small government is better. For me, it’s critical that people–all people–have the means to survive. Individuals, families, and society are worse off for how many people must devote all their energy to simply surviving, and that’s a travesty to me.

To see that we have subsidized corporations at the expense of human beings makes clear we are governing wrong, but I don’t (yet?) know the solution. I certainly appreciate the food for thought, so … thank you!

4. November 9, 2016 at 9:20 am

You sound like my husband. The two of you would probably get along really well.

5. November 9, 2016 at 1:27 pm

I hope, and I earnestly pray, that the only real losers in this election is “political correctness” and the media! God willing, the American people learned the difference between “journalism” and “commentary” — while the media learned that every American has the will to make up their own mind. As for governments, there *should* always be hot debates in our Congress — there always have been. I’m afraid Trump will feel he’s been given a mandate to do whatever he likes, that he’ll “rule” as Obama has “ruled” by presidential mandates, rather than working with Congress…. Washington DC has got to get back to work, make some decisions rather than shut down the government… God help us all.

• November 9, 2016 at 4:55 pm

Seconded! Actually, I got a few comments here where I realized political correctness and “safe spaces” were concepts being used as weapons. At around that time, I decided I was done with those concepts/practices, and done with giving too much radio time to the people who used those tactics to promote suppression.

I felt unsettled by it the last few months, but I didn’t understand why until I read Bill Ivey’s letter about how they (government actors) were conspiring to create an uninformed and compliant citizenry. That message was like a decoder ring to me.

Authentic, troubled, troubling dialogue is far superior to us policing each other to empower the government.

Here’s hoping we the people band together cohesively enough to force our elected agents to once again act as public servants, not as if we are indebted to them! (Read Throw Them All Out if you want to be even more horrified by the ways politicians now enrich themselves at our expense. Gah!)

6. November 9, 2016 at 2:53 pm

And on my Facebook, a lot of people are passing around the Rachel Maddow quote about how if you voted third party, you don’t really care who becomes President. Well, I used to agree with that! Until this election cycle.

I went the Gary Johnson route myself, and I spent the evening watching the electoral count slowly come in and (ever the optimist!) going over the positive things likely to happen in either a Clinton or a Trump presidency.

Probably my biggest disappointment is that the 3rd party vote was still so small. I really wanted us to clear that 5% because then we can start to put actual pressure on the 2 big parties. Yes, I know that everything will consolidate into the two big parties in the long run, but in the short- and medium-run, the two parties need to be nudged a bit. And I thought this would be the year! Unfortunately, it seems that the anti-Clinton sentiment won out over longer-term strategic thinking ….

But you know what? There are only so many things I can control. And the sun will continue to rise and set as it always does.

• November 9, 2016 at 5:04 pm

Oh, man. Maddow! You should have seen the responses tweeps I was following shared with her.

(She shared blatantly factually incorrect info on NAFTA because it suited the people she supported. Since then, her establishment ownership–her reporting crafted to achieve a particular end result for those “owners”–has been transparent.)

All the folks ragging on third party voters, too, miss that their numbers were so infinitesimal that they would not have swayed the end result. It’s easier to scapegoat than to actively engage in introspection, y’know?

I stopped with Trevor Noah and Jon Oliver because they were cleary regurgitating someone else’s talking points. This was clear even before the Podesta emails made the sweeping extent of Clinton/media collusion asronishingly plain. Seeing how many did so much to install this candidate, I am not surprised that third parties got such a raw deal … so much fear so intentionally cultivated!

I did see some heartening signs on social media today. Change is coming. I wish we could have gotten there without this result, but I honestly think this result was necessary to inspire genuine change.

The sun will rise again tomorrow, and hopefully will do so with our extending our hands to each other.

• November 9, 2016 at 5:09 pm

Yes I had to stop with Oliver, too. When he did his “report” on Clinton scandals, peddling info that was very obviously incorrect … I was disappointed because I always thought of him as a pretty informative, fact-based place to get informed about things I wouldn’t otherwise know about.

Anyway, I could go on. But you’re right – people get so scared away from third parties. So frustrating.