Home > history, Love, politics, Uncategorized > Love hard, y’all

Love hard, y’all

I’m writing a post for my other blog, but it involves addressing a lot of complicated, dark history. Completing it will take a lot of time and energy I don’t have now.

I do have to say something now.

Y’all, love yourself. Love your neighbor. Don’t withhold that love–not for how someone is voting, for the color of their skin, for their unkind acts, for where they live in the world.

Just love each other. Hard.

This is a political message. It absolutely is. Because, see, our collective fear is being exploited. Right now, this very moment, the United States is preparing to take acts of war against Russia, all on pretense.

This is not an ahistorical act. This is a profoundly historical act that has to do with power, a power that adheres to neither me nor you.

(If you’d like to understand more about where I’m coming from before I finish writing my next post, please, please begin reading The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism and understand that we’re witnessing the next shock being generated right now. Look into the TPP, TiSA, and TTiP to understand who benefits when we citizens consumers lose.)

Love is a revolutionary act. Truly. So please, for the love of god, listen. Love. Reach out, especially to those whom it’s hard for you to hear.

Don’t allow your fear to be exploited for destruction.

Please love each other. Hard. Unequivocally.

Love.

a hand hearts

Categories: history, Love, politics, Uncategorized Tags: , ,
  1. October 14, 2016 at 6:30 pm

This was a great read – thanks.

2. October 15, 2016 at 3:50 pm

There are at least two parts to this radical political statement of “love” — learning to give it, and learning to receive it. Loving is often easier than receiving love, especially in the beginning. Loving you is an action I can choose to do, whether love is returned or not. I show you I love you by listening intently, by honestly caring about you and your sometimes passionate positions. I think about what you say, and that’s “loving” too.

But to be loved? To be loved I have to be willing to put myself out there, to expose thoughts and feelings a little more. How can you care about my thoughts and feelings if I’m unwilling to take the risk of saying what I think and why I think it, what I feel and why I feel it. And for me, a severe introvert, that’s incredibly difficult. I have trouble writing about baking bread, or posting something that attempts to explain why I haven’t posted anything in my blog for months. There are times your frighten me. If I were to talk about my style of Christianity, for example, would it be received the way my comment about “civil disobedience” was received? How about Haight-Ashbury, the hippie movement, and how some types of “free love” can lead to people following Charles Manson’s Helter-Skelter? I don’t know how to speak freely, openly, honestly, in a politically correct world…

• October 17, 2016 at 7:29 pm

I hear you. Here’s my thinking out loud, a little tangentially, after reading what you’ve written:

I feel so differently about this now than I did even a month ago! Here, up until the last few months, I wanted to create a place where all felt safe and welcome.

Now, reading everything I have the last few months, political correctness absolutely chills me. Creating another “safe space” is not what I want anymore. I want to be part of places where people will argue opinions–not each other–and engage, not disengage and construe any disagreement as a personal attack.

Now, I see people who always speak very correctly engaging in neatly concealed but still loud bigotry and bias, patting themselves on the bag for how overtly inclusive they are and, gah. I don’t want to be any part of that. I want to encourage people to engage in actual discourse–not just attacking each other–and know that anything I say is based on actual facts I have read, not to persuade anyone but to help myself get better at speaking it. I’m willing to listen; provided it’s clear any real research has been done, I’ll be willing to listen for a long while.

“Your disagreeing with me hurt my feelings,” OTOH? Nope. I get that with Littler J. I don’t need it from adults.

I don’t know. I don’t have answers yet. The only thing I do know is that we have to be willing to have fact-based discourse–and be okay not knowing all the facts, so long as we’re committed to learning them–the better to grow into it. It’s hard when so many people are so disengaged from politics, which hardly feels coincidental anymore.

I want people to be engaged in the mess. I want people (self included!) to say the wrong thing to get better at saying the right thing. Having every single word or tone policed takes us the opposite direction.

3. October 16, 2016 at 11:35 am

You are all over it, the ‘it’ being that corporations run governments who run the world for their own unjustifiable ends against humanity – and I am not even a humanist. But we, the public – the consumer, are preyed on for a human tendency to fear and reject what we are not familiar with or understand. Love. In the way that you discipline your children because you love them. In how you give a tough word to a friend before they make a big mistake because you love them. Love in giving yourself even though it will cost you something but benefit the recipient greatly. Love – not emotionally, at least not by itself, love unconditionally because people are worth loving for just being a human. Spot on. Keep it up.

• October 17, 2016 at 7:41 pm

This comment, man. It’s spot on.

So often today, we want to do the thing that feels warm and fuzzy because it feels warm and fuzzy. Perpetually focusing on that state of feeling–on that aspect of love–takes away full love’s depth and ability to sustain.

Warmth is an important part of love, true, but so are the aspects that are more challenging and forceful … the parts that compel us to grow in ways warm fuzzies alone can’t reach.

I want all of it. I want to receive love in all its forms, and to give it likewise, with openness to learning

I started this blog taking hard stories from my past and driving them toward happy conclusions as often as possible. Now, I want the story and the ending to be whatever they are, and learn to find all the love through and through.

1. October 15, 2016 at 9:00 am