Home > Health, Los Angeles > Not only can, but do

Not only can, but do

This afternoon,
I ran for the first time
in months.

but
do.

Summited K2! Oh, wait.

1. September 12, 2016 at 6:06 pm

Yay for running!!!!!

• September 12, 2016 at 6:36 pm

I aimed for 10 but reached 20, which felt great! I don’t think I’ll wait five months for my next run. 🙂

2. September 12, 2016 at 6:41 pm

10 miles?

• September 12, 2016 at 6:47 pm

Aaaah, sorry! Minutes. Tracking by minutes is my longstanding tradition, for reasons I couldn’t explain.

If I do ever get back to longer runs, those’ll be on days off. Weekdays, I’m lucky to sneak in 20 minutes (a scenario with which I know you are also very familiar)!

• September 12, 2016 at 6:53 pm

Whew! I was marveling at your iron will, running ten miles straight out of the box after doing nothing for a few months. I still marvel at your iron will but now I feel less embarrassed by the fact that I struggle to even do a couple of miles in the mornings before the kids get up!

3. September 12, 2016 at 7:36 pm

Speaking of running, I just signed up today for the Cottage Grove half marathon in March. I signed back into myfitnesspal again after a long time away and signed up for mapmywalk app too. It’s been about a week and a half. I just walked 3.2 miles. My goal is to walk at least 2 miles every day. I’m not going to,start jogging until my weight is down to 230 to help not mess up my knees. I’m 242 now.

• September 12, 2016 at 7:44 pm

I’ve been reluctant to start running because I feel it more the heavier I am. Today, I finally decided I needed to run. Walking (which I try to do at least 30 minutes daily) wasn’t cutting it. I’ll probably still lean heavily on walking, though.

Rock on for signing up for the half-marathon! Maybe I should sign up to give myself incentive to keep pursuing feeling long-term good, not just the short-term good taste of good beer! *cough*

Also, since when does Cottage Grove have a half marathon?!

• September 12, 2016 at 8:09 pm

I don’t know, but it’s one of the cheaper ones especially if you sign up right away on opening registration day which was today. It’s becoming very common for cities to have half marathons. They are cropping up everywhere❤

• September 12, 2016 at 8:11 pm

Cities, yes … but Cottage Grove feels so much more like a village than a city! Granted, it’s been years I spent more than a few minutes there, so my ideas might be based on old realities.

4. September 12, 2016 at 10:54 pm

🙂 People are mean. Lots of them anyway. Go you for getting out there and carrying on anyway. 🙂

• September 13, 2016 at 5:32 am

When I’ve gone running elsewhere, I’ve heard lots of encouraging comments, each of which sticks with me long after it’s uttered. I carry those with me, too, happily.

I did get one “you go!” yesterday, too, so I’m glad for that. 🙂

5. September 13, 2016 at 12:28 am

Good on you!!!

6. Paul
    September 13, 2016 at 2:31 am

Well said and done Deborah.

7. September 13, 2016 at 2:52 am

Your perseverance is amazing and inspiring! You go girl!

• September 13, 2016 at 5:33 am

Thanks! ♥
      I’m a little sore this morning, but otherwise feel great. I’m already looking forward to my next run. 🙂

8. September 13, 2016 at 7:15 am

Good for you. Kudos ❤

• September 17, 2016 at 3:23 pm

Thanks! ♥

(Kinda glad I took a few days getting back to these comments; revisiting them now makes me smile.)

9. September 13, 2016 at 7:41 am

Good for you. This post made me smile so much 🙂

10. March 20, 2017 at 10:40 pm

Are people really that rude in LA? Im so not visiting LA!
    Well done you for doing it! Inspiering in such bad as women like your self! Have done 2 half marathons this year (my first ones). Im hooked and so motivated!
    You go girl!!