Home > Family, Love, Personal, Social Justice > In which I reluctantly “choose” Hillary

In which I reluctantly “choose” Hillary

9/18/2016 note
Subsequent to posting this,
I read at length and concluded I cannot
vote for Clinton. See here and here (to start)
for more insight into this conclusion,
which is informed by concern for
poor women and children
around the world.

Always

Mom, always

My mom “chose” rape.

I want you to sit with that for a minute.

Please, do. No matter how uncomfortable that feels, please, do.

Her ex-husband, my dad and an officer of the law, forced my mom to choose between rape+child support or no rape+no child support. He could do this because he had power. My mom did not.

My mom grew up believing that a woman’s worth was in her capability as a wife and a mother. She strove toward being an A+++ in these areas, even after my dad made clear that he didn’t give a fuck what she did. He would always hate her, and he would always hurt her … because he could, with impunity.

She had a high school degree, but she didn’t have a college degree. She had a husband who didn’t care what happened to his kids, as long as he hurt their mother. That was what she was up against: a conservative Christian man who said he’d tried to make his woman see the light, when what “tried” meant was “abused her so diligently that he hadn’t yet discovered any abuse tactic that would make her agree he was superior and it shouldn’t matter, then, what happened to their kids.”

When my mom divorced my dad, he was intent on making her suffer however he could. He opted not to pay his child support, and then raped my mom–coerced her into having sex with him–as incentive for him to relinquish court-mandated child support.

My mom had already had numerous struggles to obtain that support, so that she knew the court wouldn’t–couldn’t–help her in the short term. She “chose” letting my dad rape her to ensure her kids were fed and clothed in the short term, and stronger than her in the longer term.

You have seen that I am not a Clinton supporter. Every sound byte I read from her sounds like, “I have no idea what it is like to suffer as your mom did, but I’ll go ahead and harp on personal accountability anyway.”

The thought of voting for Clinton makes me want to vomit. Physically, it makes me feel like vomiting. I do no support her. Having witnessed her speak, I do not support her overwhelming “personal accountability” narrative.

What could be stronger than that revulsion, then? What could possibly be stronger than that?

My answer: Reading the Republican platform on education in a nation where poor people are increasingly unable to rise out of poverty.

President Ronald Reagan supported trickle-down economics: if you remove financial regulation and lower the tax rate on the wealthiest, they’ll take that money and invest it in the U.S. economy. That was his thought at the time, anyway.

Three decades plus of data says to that, “Ha ha.” It says, “If you don’t restrict the wealthy, they will screw your corpse if it earns them more interest, just because they can!” Indeed, the IMF indicates that decreasing wealthy people’s tax rates decreases GDP growth, whereas increasing it also increases GDP growth. Apparently, a non-wealthy person has to actually have money to spend money. (The indignity! The horror! The … total shock?)

In addition, Princeton researchers confirmed that elected officials vote in accord with wealthy constituents, not those who elected them, confirming that my vote is irrelevant compared with the vote of a person who was wealthy–and thus able to lobby–in the early 1980’s.

Critically, school choice devastates poor people. “School choice” enables wealthier citizens to have greater flexibility while poorer citizens continue to struggle to even get their own children to the nearest operating public school … before that’s closed in favor of less regulated charter schools further away.

I am a non-person, to these politics. I have a great salary now, but I grew up a non-person: someone who didn’t have money enough to influence a(ny) vote.

So here, here I stand between voting my conscience–Bernie Sanders!–and voting against someone–Trump, plus his cohorts–whose platform would devastate moms like my own. Moms whose morality is far greater and more touching than supposedly Christ-serving dads who know they still, for this moment, have the supposed “moral majority” to override my mom’s hardships as a consequence of their own personal privilege.

The “moral majority” is neither “moral” nor the “majority.” That is why it fights so viciously: in the face of data, it struggles to hold onto its pretense of power.

And it, it is why I will be voting Clinton:
because while she doesn’t understand what my mom suffered,
she will not punish single mothers for being single. She will not tell them
they deserved being raped to ensure their children’s safety.

While hardly being a step in the right direction, neither
is it a hundred steps in the wrong one.

The light in her eyes is now the light in my heart

The light in her eyes is now the light in my heart

1. July 21, 2016 at 4:29 pm

I hate that the decision to vote for Clinton has come down to “not Trump”. But sadly, it’s where I’m at too. My heart is heavy every time I hear about someone’s story like this. I’ll just never be able to understand the other perspective…of how someone could be so cruel, I just don’t get it. And even sadder I think, I totally understand the role of the victim. How it’s much easier than we realize to be manipulated and abused. How it’s so easy for us to sit on the outside and say “just leave” when it’s never that simple for a person. I didn’t realize just how toxic of a relationship I was in until I got out of it and he took so much from me that I will never get back and he will never have to answer for. Sometimes, the world is a sad place. I hope we (people) can do better for each other.

• July 21, 2016 at 4:35 pm

I really, really hope so, too.

So many people told my mom–with me in earshot!–how they would have done “better,” having no idea what it was like for her to be without any support system or power whatsoever. That’s the “ugh” I can’t quite convey to Anthony, even with his own “ughs.”

So now, now I am so sad at the thought of voting against, but remind myself that my voting against is more than that: I am voting for kids and teenagers like myself who were devastated by others failing to understand the systemic nature of their plight. While I don’t want to vote against Trump, I now see that not voting against him and his is a huge vote, too, against all I hold most dear. I really do want to do better–and work toward something better–next time.

For now, I understand that holding out for “everything I hold dear” means depriving those I hold dear from opportunity, and I cannot do that (without crying myself to sleep every night).

Thank you so much for your comment. ♥

2. July 21, 2016 at 5:06 pm

Your mother was amazing. I would have chosen rape, too, if it meant taking care of my kids. Politics is so very depressing right now. I want to avert my eyes until it is all over but that doesn’t help anything either.

• July 21, 2016 at 5:10 pm

It’s so hard explaining that, isn’t it? I would, too. If it meant keeping my kids safe, healthy, whole, I would accept that a million times over.

Your conclusion mirrors mine. I want to avert my eyes and pretend it away, but, oh. Following the RNC has filled me with this huge sadness. Some of the safest people in my life are very conservative, so that I don’t want to follow them, but I’ve watched the RNC and thought, “You don’t represent them. At all.”

The last several days have involved me looking into the period beyond this election, when I will work to ensure things beyond what can be accomplished in the next few months. That is where I find my strength and hope: whatever choice I make now can make it easier or harder in the period following the election.

And, FWIW? Reading “Your mother was amazing.” makes me cry. Thank you for saying it. I wish I could blow her a kiss up to the sky with these words, and know she would receive them, knowing how deeply I understand them now that I, too, am a mother. ♥

• July 21, 2016 at 5:18 pm

I have never met your mother, but I love her, flaws and all. She struggled in ways no human being should have to. So did you. Thank you for writing about it.

• July 23, 2016 at 9:36 am

❤ to you both. Reading how you each feel about protecting your kids… I am teary-eyed. Thank you for that.

3. Deb
    July 21, 2016 at 5:29 pm

An honest and courageous post Deb. Learning about your mom through your posts and words emphasizes that her focus on her children was up-most and vital to her. You are that kind of mom as well.

• July 21, 2016 at 5:34 pm

A lot what I’ve seen from the RNC pushed me toward changing my mind, but another, larger part was what was in my heart after my last couple of posts. Revisiting the idea of being “for” through the lens of kids who are suffering now as I did then changed my whole perspective. I will (hopefully!) have time to help shape kinder policies. For now, one of the best ways I can advocate is paving the easier pathway to that possibility for kids who should not suffer because their parents are poor. ♥

4. July 21, 2016 at 6:09 pm

A heart-breaking reminder that sometimes choices are about least bad rather than ‘best’. Our own current government supports the ‘trickle down’ effect and is currently penalising those at the bottom to pay for cuts to the taxes of those at the top. Which I find obscene.

• July 21, 2016 at 6:51 pm

I wholeheartedly agree. I would’ve agreed vaguely even a few weeks ago, but the reading I’ve done since has pushed me over that hill, too.

I once thought it was nifty that billionaires like Zuckerberg are committed to donating such enormous portions of their fortune to charity. Now I understand that those fortunes were gathered through the wealthy protecting the wealthy, at expense to everyone else, and that their donation furthermore works to allow private citizens to shape (in Zuckerberg’s case) public education/infrastructure.

A good chunk of that money needs to be going into the country whose infrastructure enabled its earning, and distributed in a way that truly benefits the majority, not just those portion of people who are a billionaire’s preferred beneficiaries. It needs to be going back into public schools, which, when (along with teachers!) properly invested in can yield remarkable results … for all.

5. July 21, 2016 at 6:37 pm

I tried to pre-write this comment but it got too long so sorry if I linger here a bit!
    I know a woman who was told, pushed and promised that if she left her abusive husband all would be well, that they had her tightly and forever. That her children would not go without. After months of struggle and broken, she took her husband back because the system failed her AND her children. A system set up by republicans, people who put stipulations and guidelines and timelines on help for women who are raped, tortured emotionally and so irretrievably fucked. This woman is kind and in her heart knows that if the help was really there, she’d be okay, her children would be better than okay and her faith in the system would not be shattered. She is not a republican or a democrat. She is, if only in her heart, independent. The grey of this world. No where that matters enough to notice.

I will never vote for a man that so obviously prefer women be subdued, quiet and background eye candy. I can’t stand that someone so privileged lacks the integrity his ‘education’ should have given him about the greater good of humanity and not just the gun toting upper class.
    Hillary, and yes, it pains me to say, is getting my vote and here is why, as shallow and yes, white and privileged as it sounds – she wouldn’t hinder the changes needed to help women like your mother, my friend, you. Because she’s a woman, because she’s NOT Trump.
    I’m neither republican not democrat. I believe that abortion is wrong, but I would never love someone less for disagreeing. I certainly wouldn’t attack their character like Trump. I believe we have a right to own guns, but not without limitation. I think we DO need to change the policy on immigration but banning those who need us as a country is not the answer. Walls are built around the world and it solves nothing. People will still come here to kill us in spite of the walls because it’s what people do when they want what others have or don’t have. Since the dawn of man war has existed, whether by means of rock or bullet, faith or fortune. Putting a man in such a position of power that craves that power – that scares the hell out of me.
    Okay I’m done. Sorry 😱

• July 21, 2016 at 6:55 pm

I’m barely keeping my eyes awake now, but I wanted to at least say this: Nothing about what you’ve written sounds remotely shallow. ♥♥♥

(Before I wrote this, I messaged my friend Jenn to say I love her and am never against her. She messaged back so lovingly that I got something in both my eyes, of course. That’s where I’m trying to be, so that my not-Trump-here is really a reflection of something deeper than that: for my mom. For moms in her boat. For all their–our–kids.)

6. July 21, 2016 at 7:32 pm

An amazing story of the love of a mother. Love, the only thing that can make a tragedy, a travesty, bearable, though truly an unbearable story. Thank you for sharing.

• July 22, 2016 at 5:08 am

It’s been a journey recently, seeing how what I endured need not have been endured with stronger support built in. Admonition and disapprobation change very little for the better, whereas love has the power to change much. So, knowing this, I have to guide myself back to it. Better with practice!

7. July 21, 2016 at 8:03 pm

My husband has been bugging me for at least the last couple election cycles (i.e. as long as we’ve been married) to vote the third-party candidate. Up until this election I felt like voting the third-party candidate because “the Republicans and the Democrats are both the same!” was a lazy way to avoid just making a damn choice already. But not this time. I really cannot in good conscience vote for either one. So third party for me it is!

Also, I’m sorry about the choice your mother was forced into. Abusive people will do some really fucked up things to people, simply because they can. I hope your mother is at peace now.

• July 22, 2016 at 5:16 am

I was pretty certain I was going to write in Sanders straight up until day 2 of the RNC. What I saw there so deeply alarmed me that I had to reassess my personal priorities.

That being said, I definitely won’t push anyone to change their own vote. The peer pressure exerted by many in my former party actually made me feel more staunchly NOT with them, you know? I am all for voting for one’s conscience (yep, even if that’s Trump; I can certainly understand feeling the need to try something different in our broken political system), and there are many shapes that can take.

I still support Sanders all the way and am committed to working toward multi-party primaries in the future, since this was the year I understood the current party system is dedicated more to upholding itself than to true representation. Each individual act pushing Clinton was seemingly slight, but their cumulative consequences profound. I’m grateful to Bernie demonstrating there is hope for another way.

• July 22, 2016 at 5:25 am

Yes I do know people – people I love dearly and greatly respect – who are voting for Trump. Because either: 1) he’s a wild card and we don’t know what we’re going to get (as opposed to Hillary where we know we won’t like what we will get); or 2) not fans of Trump but they find him just a wee bit more acceptable than Hillary for actual reasons (as opposed to misogynist reasons).

I personally was hoping Kasich would do better – he seemed to be someone with a really firm grasp on the fact that life is HARD for a lot of people and you can’t just ignore that.

But anyway – here we are!

• July 22, 2016 at 5:26 am

P.S. Very few things bother me more than when I hear Hillary being criticized for pantsuits or the way she looks or the way she laughs or any other gendered thing that’s completely irrelevant to her qualifications (or lack thereof).

• July 22, 2016 at 5:30 am

DITTO! When I hear this, I am so incredibly frustrated by the fact that folks can say such things and then say, “But I’m cool with women!” Clearly.

In my 1L Lawyering Skills class, women were advised to always wear skirt suits, evidence pointing to the fact that pant suits are viewed less favorably. That I wore a pant suit to my mock trial was a considered choice. It actually ended up working well, as it happened; it was so flow-y, it appeared more like a dress, and several of the jurors told me how much they loved it.

How wild that that should be the focus! Not the words, not the message, not the hope for change … but anything reflective of the fact she is, indeed, a woman.

8. July 21, 2016 at 8:44 pm

My friends and I were having a similar discussion this afternoon….but I see no choice but to vote for Hillary. It’d certainly be easier if Elisabeth Warren were on the ticket, but I sincerely doubt that that will come to fruition. I’m so sorry that your Mom and my Mom were part of a generation of woman who were abused and had little (to no ) support from family and community….we can’t allow someone like Trump to set the woman’s movement back another 50 years! His ignorance on so many topics is shameful…..

• July 22, 2016 at 5:18 am

Agreed about Warren, both in the easier and the doubt.

I, too, am sorry, but find such comfort in reaching out and finding each other now, their daughters.

Here’s to a future more full of love and systemic support!

9. Paul
    July 22, 2016 at 12:27 am

Well said Deborah!

10. July 22, 2016 at 2:27 am

I’m sorry how you feel about Hillary. I know many like you. I, on the other hand, am thrilled to vote for her. She’s spent 40 years of her life dedicated to service to our country. I’m glad you are voting for her even if you have to hold your nose. We must stop Trump at any cost.

11. July 22, 2016 at 2:43 am

A lot of us are holding our noses as we vote this fall. As a woman and POC I can’t even wrap my head around a Trump presidency.

• July 22, 2016 at 5:24 am

Likewise. Observing the RNC, I was horrified by the potential detriment to those I love–in my very own household!–based on positions there being asserted.

What I saw there isn’t representative of conservative folks I know and love, but that’s what’s scary: that those tasked with representing could be so, so scarily out of touch with their constituency that they can’t actually be said to represent.

12. July 22, 2016 at 4:13 am

I’m with you 100% on supporting Bernie Sanders! I voted for him in our state’s primary, despite knowing he probably wouldn’t get the delegate votes. I’m angry that the system has worked in such a way that both candidates presented to us are actually poor choices all around. I will never vote for Trump. Right now, I have my hopes pinned on the Libertarian party getting enough support to be included in the debates later this year. Too many people died to make sure we have he right to vote, so I’m voting, but voting the “lesser of two evils” isn’t the ideal situation I had hoped for.

• July 22, 2016 at 5:28 am

I voted for him here, too. After I wash my car (something that takes so much longer now than in my pre-Littler days!), I’m actually going to affix a Sanders bumper sticker to my car. I am all for Sanders, and hopeful for what he’ll be able to accomplish even outside the White House.

I, too, have no patience for a system that enabled the propulsion of the current two front-runners. I’m going to be working toward changing the system going forward.

• July 22, 2016 at 10:08 am

Little ones will generally extend a simple task 3-5 times longer than it needed to be, but its all worth it in the end. If I didn’t have a rule of “no stickers on my car”, I’d certainly have a Sanders bumper sticker.

13. July 22, 2016 at 5:35 am

These are powerful words that mean so much. I voted for Bernie and still can’t believe he supported Clinton! I’m not sure who Im voting for as I don’t like Hillary but I can tell you for sure Trump WILL NOT get my vote!

• July 22, 2016 at 6:39 pm

Hear that! With the #DNCLeaks and Kaine (favoring deregulatiom, ugh) today, I am finding my choice even less palatable rihht now. Sanders and/or Stein are looking delightful to me right now.

• July 23, 2016 at 4:54 am

I may just write Sanders in, but he doesn’t have enough delegates, right? It’s a mess.

• July 23, 2016 at 5:08 am

I’m curious to see if there’ll be any impact from #DNCLeak/s. Multiple (not especially surprising) emails indicate DNC support for Clinton and edging out of Sanders from very, very early on. Everything about the leaks confirms those Princeton researchers’ conclusions that we have an oligarchy–not democracy–in practice. That’s why I’ve had such a hard time even considering voting DNC this year, having seen the many incremental ways in which they nudged their own agenda forward while dismissing Sanders, who (with Stein) has such sway on my heart. For me, these two represent genuine, not lesser-of-two-evils, representation for the people, not only the wealthiest few.

• July 23, 2016 at 5:37 am

It’s all corrupted, makes me wonder what will happen if Clinton gets in office. On the other hand you have Trump, who is a racist and bigot who would surely destroy any thought of peace and stability. Tough choices…and the worst part for me is not knowing what to say to my sons, who will both vote for the first time in November.

14. July 22, 2016 at 7:50 am

Reblogged this on w1nt3l.

• July 22, 2016 at 10:07 am

I actually just wanted to link to your post, not copy it word for word, lol. I did keep a link at the top of my latest post as it inspired my post today.

15. July 22, 2016 at 11:55 am

Wow. This has got to be the hardest election in the history of our nation. It’s so rare that I find anyone who votes Trump or Hilary because they actually like the candidates. My brain can’t even begin to wrap itself around the level of screwed we are when all is said and done (no matter who wins). But I understand why you are making the “choice” that you are. I grew up in a somewhat similar situation… while my mom wasn’t forced to have sex with her ex husband to get child-support from his holier than thou prick ass, he did refuse to pay. Which in turn forced my mom into many relationships with men that she didn’t want or deserve to be in just so she could keep her kids fed. No one can understand that unless they’ve lived it. And while I don’t know how to fix it, I do agree with you that equalizing education is a great place to start. My fear (well, one of them) with Hilary is that she’ll continue rolling that socialist ball into communist territory and my boys will end up living in a country that is equally devastated. My husband is from Cuba and while we both aren’t majorly into politics (because lets face it… as you said yourself our votes end up meaning next to night when compared to people out there with money), there is enough that he’s lived through and that we can see of history to be wary of the signs. Anyways, I can’t help but wonder if the world I know has always been this bad (referring generally to everything that’s been going on the past few years) or if I’m just now adult enough to realize it. And I hope I haven’t done my sons a disservice by bringing them into this world.

• July 22, 2016 at 6:47 pm

Your final sentence mirrors my own concerns. I want to know I am leaving a better world for my children, but that now feels well outside the realm of possibility … even just looking at the health of the planet alone. I know we will find and make joy, but to think we are leaving them scraps of rubbish just guts me.

I’m not concerned with Socialism in principle, but practice is another matter. Socialism has worked great in some places/contexts, but with the right total system planning and support. I don’t trust we have 1% of what it takes to make it be implemented workably here at the moment, just folks who want power seeking more of it for tired, archaic parties that serve the elite over the majority.

So much to think about and weigh. I wish us all luck and reason for optimism as we consider in the days ahead!

16. July 22, 2016 at 2:07 pm

I reluctantly vote Clinton as well. I wanted Sanders and Trump will ruin this country. Any other person would do a better job.

• July 22, 2016 at 6:50 pm

I agree wholeheartedly with your conclusion, but, gah. The choice of Kaine says to me the DNC is just not getting it.

• July 23, 2016 at 6:55 am

Yes, but they are better than the alternative.

17. July 22, 2016 at 6:13 pm

[I am still sitting with the points and questions you raise in your emails.]

I don’t know how to hold space for knowing all the harm that your mother endured at your father’s hands; and yet I will, for your sake. I don’t know how to hold space either for all that I feel — every space I open in my heart seems to fill so quickly with rage burning like battery acid and forest fires. I know you are connecting this to politics, I know your political stance is the thrust of this post, and yet…

…and yet I am so angry and so sad, so overwhelmed by grief bordering on despair, at the harm people with bodies enact on other people’s bodies. For no reason other than because they can.

• July 22, 2016 at 6:55 pm

I saw your like on this post and flashed to the utter lack of trigger warning here. I am so sorry. I feel all of this. I feel dejected and demoralized that this happens, so frequently and with so little change, though I try to think of two bicycles and hold on to hope for change they (and their artist) represent. I am walking around feeling devasted by all the forms violence takes right now (some, my own) and how few often recognize. How to show it? How to make it understood that rose-tinted glasses don’t change the underlying problems? This weekend, I need to dedicate time and space to self care. Too much consumption of all this deprives me of the fuel (love, hope) I need to keep going. Much, much love.

• July 23, 2016 at 5:25 am

Much, much love back. And don’t worry about the trigger warning thing (not on my account, certainly!); this anger is omnipresent, as/until I figure out how to work through it and release it.

Hence my angry outburst yesterday.

About which: do you mind deleting this comment thread after reading, or perhaps just editing out the specific sentence about my folks? It isn’t my story to post about. I regret (even as I understand why) having written it here.

Thanks for understanding. ❤

18. July 24, 2016 at 4:44 pm

Your mom was such a strong woman. I can’t even imagine.

On Hillary vs. Trump — I’m momentarily relieved that I live in such a red state that my vote for president won’t really count and I can vote for a third party candidate (Jill Stein) without feeling like my vote helped Trump, ya know? I know people on both sides are sick over how this turned into a Trump vs. Clinton ticket, so I hope Americans wise up next time.

• July 25, 2016 at 9:35 pm

Totally hear that. I, like you, hope folks from within and outside the political organizations remember how this year went down and do better adapting to change. News travels faster now, and with that, power can be much harder for a few to hold … especially when they don’t appear to grasp that they’re playing on a whole new field now.

Unfortunately, based on what I’ve seen so far, the only takeaway many will have is that Sanders supporters were obstinate. They will have totally missed both any nuance and the point. 😦

But, hey. I do believe most hearts strive to be good, and I’m going to try nudging myself to remember that through each day. (This is much easier done when I stay away from Twitter–that sets me into high alert every time, but I keep coming back anyway! Noooo!)

19. July 25, 2016 at 11:05 am

Ugh. I’m still not there yet. I hate Hillary. She also makes me feel physically ill, but Trump makes me feel worse.
    I’m not sure if I’ll get to that point where I vote for Hillary. I want to vote FOR someone. Not against someone else.
    Love you, Deb. xoxo

• July 25, 2016 at 9:47 pm

For me, it’s really hard to explain how the subconscious gestures, pauses, and expressions can tell me–and my siblings–so much more about a person than their consciously chosen words, but these are things to which one who’s suffered abuse must be attuned to survive. Of course, that wouldn’t necessarily be the domain of the seriously traumatized if more people read The Gift of Fear. I’ve seen many people others describe as kind and generous do terrible things, so that “did 18/180/1,800 great things” doesn’t make me stop wondering what a person might have done if/when no one was watching. In this case, of course, we’ve got actual voting records to support my concerns re: positions that matter most to me. And, of course, we’ve got the DNC, which made me even more nervous than HRC prior to DNCLeaks. My biggest hesitation in voting for HRC has been thereby enabling that organization; that concern was redoubled by DNCLeaks, and, yeah, I am less concerned about who did the hacking than what the content of those hacks revealed about our democracy.

I really, really get you about wanting to vote for someone. I spent about a week doing mental gymnastics, trying to find a way to persuade myself that I was really voting for. I couldn’t do it. I ultimately had to stop the gymnastics and make peace with the true core of my against-Trump decision. The fact others reach a different conclusion than me does not mean I am reasonable and they are unreasonable, as so many HRC folk seem to believe about themselves and others. It means we are making different choices informed by different factors, which is as I’d expect from so complex and complicated as the world in which we live.

Love you, Karin. Miss you, and am so glad to “see” you. I vote for you any day and every day. ♥

20. kacey3
    July 29, 2016 at 6:53 am

This is the strongest and clearest argument for voting for Clinton that I’ve read yet. I have been reluctant to vote for either major party, believing in the ideals of the third party candidates far more than either of our primary candidates, and simply repulsed at the idea of voting for either of them.

This, more than anything else, puts things into perspective. No matter how horrific it is, sometimes you have to choose to accept something bad in order to not be forced to endure something worse.

Thank you Deb, for really putting things into the right light.

21. blueboy666
    September 18, 2016 at 7:57 am

Well I think Hillary is the one to vote for ,I think people will be pleased how she will run the country, she is really smart lady

• September 18, 2016 at 9:13 am

I’d highly recommend reading up on Clinton’s foreign policy record and intentions and then contemplating which people will be pleased.

I’m glad for your comment, which reminds me I must update this post to reflect the fact that my yearning for peace means I cannot possibly vote for Clinton.

Thank you for the reminder, and for being involved in the process!

1. July 22, 2016 at 8:04 am