Home > Books, Death, Love, Movies > Love will win

Love will win

I read 41 books in 2011.

Of those 41 books, I marked three in bold as “top picks.”

Of those three books, I mentioned that I’d quadruple-bold one if I could.

I bought copies of this book to send to friends. I then looked at my own copy and decided it would do more good in someone else’s hands than on my bookshelf. I sent it off, too.

My review of the book was a single sentence:Β I run on the verbose side, but about this book I can only say: it is heartbreaking, breathtaking perfection.

My husband, Anthony, and older son went to the movies yesterday.

After returning home, my husband told me how multiple trailers made him cry. “The first one, there’s this kid whose mom is dying–I think it’s called A Monster Calls?”

“What!” I interrupted, sitting straight up in bed. “They made that into a movie?! That book … that’s the one I bought copies to send out to people, because I wanted everyone to read it, and then I even ended up sending out my own copy.”

I hopped out of bed and planted myself in front of my computer. I found a trailer and was instantly swept away. “That’s not the one I saw,” Anthony said from over my shoulder.

I found the rightΒ one and I, too, leaked at the eyes while watching.

“I wish you’d kept your copy of the book,” Anthony said.

I ran into the bookstore for another copy this morning.

A full five years since I’d last held a copy of the book, goosebumps rippled up my arms as I picked up my newest copy and gazed at its cover.

How do I begin to describe a book that can do this to me after a half a decade? How do I explain how simply holding a copy of a 200-page children’s book can completely transport me?

Maybe the best way is, quite simply, to say that it does. To say that I see the book and feel in my heart:

Love is more powerful than fear.

Love will win.

a monster calls

1. July 17, 2016 at 3:43 pm

I hear every word you say! x

2. July 17, 2016 at 4:14 pm

I’m still wrapping my head around the fact that Anthony hadn’t read it. πŸ˜‰

• July 17, 2016 at 5:52 pm

We didn’t share much reading material in common. I think I talked about it with him and got glazed over eyes in response, so … the fact he’s interested now doesn’t mean he was interested then. :p

3. July 17, 2016 at 4:17 pm

How could I not know about this book?!?
    I’m buying it as soon as possible.

• July 17, 2016 at 5:53 pm

I hope you enjoy it. One of D’s godmoms (who’s only ever steered me wrong once on books) said that I would love this more than any other book, ever. I went into it thinking there was no way it could match such a high expectation, but I was instantly, completely transported to another world while I read.

4. Kay
    July 17, 2016 at 4:18 pm

5. Deb
    July 17, 2016 at 6:10 pm

Just saw this trailer Friday while at Ghostbusters. I had no idea what it was about. Now I’m incredibly curious.

• July 17, 2016 at 6:19 pm

It was dreamed up by a human rights activist who died of cancer; she passed the story on to its author, that he could write what she could not.

For anyone who’s endured hard times and survived through imagination, for anyone who’s lost, for anyone who’s about to lose … this book is … I don’t even know what to say, apart from “magic.”

I would recommend it highly in general, but also to you specifically.

(There may be a sample on Amazon?)

How love wins isn’t what you might imagine, from my statement. I was still smarting from losing my mom when I read this, so that I feel her when I look at its cover, too, as I’m sure I’ll feel her when I read this in lieu of my Washington biography tonight. ♥

• July 17, 2016 at 6:20 pm

Also, you, Anthony, and D watched the same movie. Anthony says I’ll enjoy it! Did you?

• Deb
        July 17, 2016 at 7:30 pm

If you are at all into Saturday Night Live then it’s like one big SNL skit in many ways. Lot’s of cliche’s as well. Honestly, I wish we would have gone to see The Secret Life of Pets instead. Just way too much the same as the original for me.

6. July 17, 2016 at 6:47 pm

Oh my goodness I now have to get this book. You are so passionate, your words come off the page expressing your love of this book. I imagine that is how I speak about The Alchemist. Will definatly check out this book, am battling the Big C myself, does it hit to close to home?

• July 17, 2016 at 7:03 pm

I read it about a year after my mom lost her battle with “the C-word,” as my sister called it in a voicemail to me. (I totally misunderstood which C-word she meant.)

Reading this book, I felt … I felt that I’d never read a story that captured so much love and so much life in the context of so much loss. From this side of that battle, it was/remains a reminder what death is and is not, when love is part of the picture.

I am rooting for you so much.

7. July 17, 2016 at 7:49 pm

I always find it amazing how books, words other people put to page, can move us and touch us. I also love when other want share that experience with others. “The Book Thief” was that book for me. Now, if you don’t mind, I just watched that trailer and I NEED to get my hands on this book! πŸ˜€

• July 17, 2016 at 7:54 pm

I also loved The Book Thief! It’s been a few years since I finished reading it, but I remember sitting at an Orange County bus stop reading the last few pages with tears in my eyes.

I hope you enjoy AMC! It captured me from almost the first word, which almost never happens. As you can see, the capture remains active even a half-decade later. πŸ™‚

• July 17, 2016 at 8:01 pm

I wrote in the margins of Book Thief. Then on subsequent readings I better understood what was going on. Can’t wait to get AMC! Too bad it’s midnight and no bookstores are open.

8. July 17, 2016 at 9:01 pm

Hard to beat a recommendation like that, it’s officially on my to read list.

• July 19, 2016 at 3:44 pm

I would love to know what you think, when/after you’ve read it!

• July 22, 2016 at 7:30 pm

My book club is reading it this month! I sent them all your post when I told them what I wanted to read, I’ll let you know what we all think! πŸ™‚

9. July 17, 2016 at 9:09 pm

Bought for my Kindle. Thanks for the suggestion!

My favorite book is “The Selected Works of TS Spivet”, by Reif Larsen. I’ve given away so many copies!

• July 19, 2016 at 3:45 pm

I’ll give that a look! (I’m about to get an e-reader so I can read even when I’ve run out of traditionally printed matter.)

• July 19, 2016 at 5:00 pm

I prefer real books … but an ebook is great for traveling, and of course it’s the environment friendly way to go… πŸ™‚

10. July 18, 2016 at 5:31 am

My biggest regret since having children? Giving up reading. I know that like other things I used to enjoy, it will “come back” one day, but….

• July 19, 2016 at 3:45 pm

Heh. I looked at my 2011 reading list and was like, “What?!” Now I’m glad to read ten books in a year. This year, I might hit 15, and I consider that fantastic. πŸ™‚

11. July 18, 2016 at 12:36 pm

Another book on for my shelf? Thanks a lot! πŸ™‚

12. July 18, 2016 at 11:32 pm

Aren’t books wonderful in that way?!

1. December 6, 2016 at 4:24 pm