Home > Books, Personal > The DNC doesn’t speak for me

The DNC doesn’t speak for me

The Hamilton soundtrack inspired me to read Alexander Hamilton.

Reading that has inspired me to see both history and politics in different lights.

As I compare politics now to politics then, I find that history is the present.

I find that I can understand why Burr and Hamilton and Washington and even Jefferson acted as they did.

I find that I can understand why Trump and Sanders and Clinton are acting as they do.

I can’t support Trump, but neither can I castigate his supporters nor deny his humanity (though the latter can sometimes be my gut reaction).

I’m uncomfortable with Clinton for reasons that have nothing to do with buzzwords. I won’t be voting for her in the California primary Tuesday, for reasons akin to Hamilton’s reasons for not endorsing Burr.

I’m uncomfortable with not only the RNC but the DNC, too. Neither represents me.

Sanders does, largely.

And when he doesn’t, it’s okay. He is who he is, and he’s clear about that.

Why do I share this here? To say I believe there is hope for our deeply broken U.S. political system, and that Sanders–to me–represents the possibility of finding something better. Eventually.

I’m not trying to sway you. I’m not concerned whether you agree or disagree.

I do want to be clear I stand with Sanders, and that the DNC does not speak for me.

image

1. June 5, 2016 at 7:48 pm

He got my vote, too, for the same reasons.

• June 5, 2016 at 8:06 pm

Same!

• June 6, 2016 at 5:41 am

๐Ÿ™‚
        I am surprised (pleasantly) by the response to this post. Based on news accounts, I expected instead to delete a bunch of comments like, “Get a real job, hippie!”

• June 6, 2016 at 5:38 am

As I typed this in the car last night, I wished I had said so earlier. I am glad to have said something now.

2. June 5, 2016 at 8:16 pm

Ditto.

• June 6, 2016 at 5:43 am

๐Ÿ™‚ For me, it feels good to stand for someone–somethings–I support instead of against, the way the DNC et al have been framing this.

• June 7, 2016 at 11:24 am

I just hope he runs as an independent if, as seems likely, Hilary carries the DP.

• June 7, 2016 at 12:29 pm

I read that he’d promised not to run Independent if he actually-lost instead of presumptively-lost (my words) his bid. I hope that’s not true. I don’t think I’ll be able to vote for Clinton (per my comment to Sreejit) and thus for the DNC–not even with all its considered fearmongering–with which I will be officially parting ways after today. The myriad seemingly small but actually significant ways* they have prodded along their preferred candidate at other candidates’ expense have greatly influenced the outcome of this primary.

The way the prediction of Clinton’s win has been touted as actual instead of possible for weeks has played a huge role in this, too. Why bother voting if your guy’s only a pipe dream, according to prominent news reports?

I am disgusted by my former party, but at least hopeful that the Millenials Sanders has engaged help find a way to disengage the U.S. from this highly unrepresentative system of obtaining (un)representation.

* https://theintercept.com/2016/06/07/perfect-end-to-democratic-primary-anonymous-super-delegates-declare-winner-through-media/

• June 8, 2016 at 8:47 pm

I read that as well … but that was way back, before the electorate expressed their real desire for what he offers, and also before the DP behaved in such an obnoxious and unethical way. Now, I can’t help feeling that if he *doesn’t* run it will be a betrayal of those of us who support him. And we’re a pretty mixed bag, as I’m sure you know … I actually regard myself as a Libertarian, and I heartily despise much of what the so-called Democrats claim to stand for. But I like Bernie. I like his values, his passion and his ethics. I’d like to vote for him, even though I don’t entirely buy his approach to social reform. (For example, I am wholeheartedly in favor of affordable healthcare and education for all … but I’m not at all convinced that government bureaucrats are the people to run such a system. But that’s another whole subject requiring at least one full bottle of wine.)

3. June 5, 2016 at 10:17 pm

I’ve tried sooooo hard not to have a voice in this whole election thing. But, I’m struggling to find a place (any place…) to place my vote. It’s all hogwash for me. I already voted, and chose Bernie, but that being said I felt like he was the least terrible choice.

• June 6, 2016 at 5:44 am

Yeah, it’d take me months and millions of words to express how wrong all of this feels. I will work on it, but for now … a few words after much consideration have to suffice.

4. June 5, 2016 at 10:32 pm

I voted for Sanders in the Democratic American’s Abroad Primary. Sanders won those delegates. But, I will definitely be voting for Hillary over Trump, just because I would fear for the world under Trump’s stewardship. I love a lot about Hillary, but career politicians are always going to leave something to be desired. You have to be an elitist to have the audacity to want to hold that much power, so when it’s all said and done I’d go with the professional one over the simply megalomaniacal one… but that’s just me.

• June 6, 2016 at 5:56 am

By saying “I’ll definitely vote for Clinton as not-Trump,” I feel I become the establishment I now protest. This is not knocking you nor anyone who genuinely supports Clinton, but for myself as someone who’s become more and more uncertain about her–and the DNC–by the day, for reasons that have nothing to do with email servers. (Given my line of work, I see that as a testament to how poorly controlled the governments’ computing systems are currently. Yikes.)

For me given my doubts, saying I will vote Clinton to stop Trump represents … bad things it’ll take me a long time to learn to articulate well, but which are tied to the same discomfiture inspiring some to vote Trump in the first place: “He may not be great, but at least he’s not part of the (chameleon) political establishment!” I think that sometimes people need to experience truly dire circumstance to be driven to positive change (for something, instead of against something else), and I think we could learn some very important things from a Trump presidency. I don’t want to learn them that way, but neither do I want to stand against instead of for anymore.

I’m for Bernie, and that’s about all I can say for sure right now.

5. June 5, 2016 at 11:16 pm

Interesting.
    From this side of the world I have been watching with interest (and some fear). He would have my vote too if I had one.

• June 6, 2016 at 6:18 am

I am sometimes fearful, but my hope for the long term is resilient … no matter what may transpire in the shorter term.

6. June 6, 2016 at 3:04 am

I’m writing in my vote. I’m not sure anything will change with these candidates, especially Trump or Clinton.

• June 6, 2016 at 6:20 am

Each represents a different kind of entrenchment to me, when what I yearn for is something new and hopeful. Something not controlled from the outset by folks and entities used to having control.

7. June 6, 2016 at 5:04 am

I’m utterly disappointed in this entire election. I have facetiously bought an “election” sticker and T-shirt for Underwood 2016. It would be funny if it weren’t so sad.

8. June 6, 2016 at 8:08 am

I wrote a while back about how I’m running for president. My slogan is: “You could do worse.” Think about it. I’d appreciate your vote. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• June 6, 2016 at 12:58 pm

LOL! I need to look up this post after work! (Feel free to link it.)

• June 6, 2016 at 3:34 pm

My declaration of candidacy is buried in here. The slogan evolved from the comments. ๐Ÿ˜‰

9. June 6, 2016 at 9:23 am

I deeply disagree with his economic plans, as capitalism in its best form is what made our country economically strong.

Having said that, I do think that he is perhaps the only major candidate who really means what he says, and is sincere in standing for his principals. As to the other two, I think either would say the moon is made of green cheese if they thought the Green Cheese Moon bloc of voters would get them elected.

• June 6, 2016 at 12:59 pm

Hear you on the former paragraph. The latter paragraph has made me LOL multiple times. Spot on.

10. June 6, 2016 at 3:31 pm

Always makes me happy to see another Bernie supporter!

11. June 7, 2016 at 12:43 pm

I voted for him here in Maryland in the primaries, but Clinton got it. I’m with you though. I feel that Sanders represents me best.

12. June 8, 2016 at 3:40 am

You said what so many of us are feeling Deb. I am deeply uncomfortable with Clinton. I have never liked her particularly and I have grown more and more disenfranchised with the DNC. This long slog of a nomination process has torn the curtain from my eyes. I voted for Bernie in the Texas primaries. Clinton is claiming the nomination, despite still not having enough pledged delegates. She will be the nominee though, I find myself disappointed in the process.

I know I will vote for her in the general, despite my misgivings. I will not waste a vote on a third party. I will not put Trump in office. I will not destroy the Supreme Court for the next twenty to thirty years, this to me is the real issue.

• June 8, 2016 at 5:31 am

Re: the DNC, I have already registered to vote as “no party preference.” I am no longer a Democrat. This is not about a specific end result but how that end result was achieved by an organization I only misunderstood as basically representing me.

I am super uncomfortable with the concept of “wasting a vote” as you use it, though I catch–and appreciate–your drift. For me, “wasting a vote” is voting against (Trump) instead of for (Clinton), or casting a vote for one person who doesn’t represent me to stick it to someone who represents me less. For me, a vote not wasted is one applied according to my actual preference.

This year’s primaries have done a fantastic job of illuminating the many flaws of our party system. Unfortunately, it’s likely that miscalculations on the part of both main parties mean we’ll have a long time to reflect in painful isolation from most the rest of the globe how we might in the future achieve something closer to true representation.

I will not cast my vote for the DNC unless it is earned by more than fear (e.g., shouting that voting for someone else is voting for Trump), something which seems altogether unlikely right now. We’ll see.

• June 8, 2016 at 4:31 pm

I understand what you are saying. I simply sit back and reflect how terribly wrong we have gone over the past 50 years. My real fear, is what happens to SCOTUS this is the overriding one for me.

13. June 8, 2016 at 7:22 am

Same. Even if it does feel like I’ll be tossing my vote away on someone who doesn’t really have a shot. I guess we can only do what we can do!