Home > Nerd, Parenting > Weekend Coffee Share: This silly scaredy-cat

Weekend Coffee Share: This silly scaredy-cat

If we were having coffee today, I’d sip sparkling water since I’ve already had my daily coffee.

I’d inquire how you’re doing, asking as few or many follow-up question as you seemed interested in fielding.

It might take me a little while to figure out what to say about my own week. After all, I already told you about my younger son’s growing ability to communicate with spoken words, my new job, and my brother’s impending graduation. What’s left to say?

I’d probably tell you about my surprising reaction to the movie Krampus. If you’d polled me right after I left the theater last night, I’d have described it as grim, but not necessarily scary. And yet, I’d say with the hint of a smile, I was filled with dread when I drove up to my house and saw all the lights were off. I walked up to the front porch ready to turn on inside lights as quickly as possible, but opened the door to the darkness, looked at the first lamp ten feet away and said, “Hell, no!” I quickly closed the door and began strolling around my neighborhood, returning home only when my husband told me he was moments away.

2L Deb, imbued with the powers that accompany wearing a dress ominously on one's head, has come to steal her future self's baby for nefarious purposes!

From my horror post picture archives

I wouldn’t take offense if you laughed at me. I’d still be laughing at myself, too! In my thirty years of enjoying horror movies, I’ve never had this extreme of a reaction after watching one. I certainly didn’t expect it from Krampus!

I’d wrack my brain for anything else to share. I might tell you about my first parent-teacher conference as the parent of an elementary school student. Two years ago, I was offended by the very existence of report cards. This time around, I saw Li’l D’s report card as a useful indicator of what my son’s lovely teacher witnesses. As she walked me through his first-term report card, it was clear to me we see lots of the same things.

(Disregards many instructions? Does things his way? Communicates well and always wants to share his every thought with everyone around him? Yep, that’s my boy.)

It was also clear that the report card was not implicitly ghastly, but more of a useful communication tool. Did it measure the things most important to me, like compassion, curiosity, or wonder? Not by a long shot! But it did tell me how D’s doing in certain quantifiable areas, and help me understand how I can better guide his learning in those areas.

I would search for a moment or two before shaking my head and saying that’s it … and, grinning, reporting that I’m already looking forward to meeting next week.

weekendcoffeeshare

1. December 5, 2015 at 8:13 am

I am glad you enjoyed your parent teacher conference and that you found some value in the report card. I am required to do report cards too but I also have a “talking points” paper that I created and use for each student’s conference. I include on this not only academics but social observations and other aspects I note about the students as classroom citizens. 🙂

• December 6, 2015 at 3:38 pm

His teacher had a few of those, too. She was delightful and the experience was illuminating. But the card itself? I will unlikely ever be a fan, for reasons that extend much deeper than any piece of paper itself. And yet … no shooting the messenger, particularly when she’s building up my little guy. 🙂

2. December 5, 2015 at 3:03 pm

Wow, that’s an extreme reaction to a horror film. You have me curious. I might have to hunt it down.

• December 6, 2015 at 3:45 pm

I wouldn’t necessarily recommend it. In fact, of I had the choice, I probably wouldn’t watch it again. Now that I’m a parent, some scares aren’t fun to me anymore, and those involving kids … even if cutely packaged, and with fun music? No, thanks.

I dislike the combination of children and horrifying inevitability now, and I think all those feelings as a parent were what had me on edge. For me, the horror factor was greater than the entertainment one in the end, leaving me with the same no-thanks feeling I’ve had trying to watch horror movies without supernatural elements. (I don’t find those entertaining, either. Things that humans could and actually do to each other are just really sad and sickening to me.)

• December 7, 2015 at 1:10 pm

Ah, sounds less appealing now.

3. December 5, 2015 at 5:24 pm

I haven’t watched a horror movie in a long time, but I bet I’d end up feeling pretty scared afterwards

• December 6, 2015 at 3:46 pm

Unfriended scared me and left me feeling horror satisfaction instead of horror exhaustion. If you get a hankering to feel scared, I’d go with that. I know it’s a big “if,” of course. 😉

4. December 6, 2015 at 1:40 am

Sometimes when things hit a nerve we have a strong reaction. I always cry in disney films, its very embarrassing. I love the snowflakes on your blog very cool and Christmas

• December 6, 2015 at 3:48 pm

There was definitely some nerve-hitting in the movie, thanks to the presence of multiple kids! I have a tendency to cry in lots of movies, Disney and otherwise. 🙂

There’s an option to turn on snow somewhere in settings. I can’t recall where it is since I did it a few years back. It turns off automatically in early January (I believe) and turns on again after Thanksgiving.

5. December 6, 2015 at 12:42 pm

So funny that after the horror movie you had to stroll around the neighborhood until you had reinforcements! I always make myself to go into the darkness, heart pounding, because I’m stubborn that way and have to prove to myself that I am in charge. Probably not smart when it’s a bump in the night and not a horror movie. Ha!

Though my boys finished elementary school long ago, I remember all too well those first meetings and report cards. Maybe soon you’ll be blessed to have your son in the classroom of a teacher who is able to convey via all that dry assessment that not only is your son doing well, but that they also enjoy having him in their class. It will come. I suspect the “talking points” paper that Shoes mentions up above is this exact type of thing. School does tend to get easier for boys and mothers of boys as time goes on.

Also, congrats on your new job. I’m interested to hear more about it.

• December 6, 2015 at 3:52 pm

I think I should’ve emphasized better that while I’m no fan of report cards, his teacher is fantastic! I’m seriously grateful for her, and know by D’s abundantly stated thanks for her that she’s helping him build those non-report card skills, too. (That was the biggest part of our school selection process.)

Our conference was lovely, as was her explanation of what was on the report card and what didn’t have space in it.

If I’m going to have to deal with report cards, I’ll be glad to do so with her! 🙂

6. December 6, 2015 at 2:24 pm

I’m hoping that we’ll get to go see Krampus this weekend, since Little Jedi will be with his dad. I’m especially curious now! I also keep intending to go to Krampus Gras, a big Krampus-themed festival here in New Orleans, but we haven’t been yet.

• December 6, 2015 at 3:54 pm

A Krampus-themed festival? Wild! I’m curious about that. I’ll probably go check out the set-up at Universal Studios.

I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on the movie if you watch it! The beginning was super entertaining to me, but it got more and more depressing to me as it neared its conclusion. It felt a lot like another kid-related horror movie that left me discomfited in ways that disheartened more than entertaining.

7. December 7, 2015 at 1:56 am

Thanks very much for the coffee Deborah. We’re about to get our kids’ school reports and it should be interesting. Looks like neither child is getting a speech day award, although my daughter has excelled in external tests etc. Not sure what that’s about. Meanwhile, our son has won the prize for being able to stretch a jelly snakes the longest. It turns out he was the reigning champion from last year. He actually put quite a lot of thought into it and I’ll definitely be writing a post about this. We knew he’d eventually find his thing!
    I’m sure there’s a hidden message in there somewhere!
    xx Rowena

8. December 7, 2015 at 4:07 am

I would tell you all about my week with new people, not quite new really but changes in relationship status maybe. Then I would tell you about my work, how that is also changing and maybe forcing me to make new choices.

I would tell you how I hate this time of year, sometimes passionately.

I am glad you enjoyed the Report Card with the teacher. So often this process doesn’t give us anything we truly need. I would laugh at you on your reaction after the movie, I wouldn’t be able to hold back.

9. December 7, 2015 at 7:39 am

LOL, love your take on the report card! 🙂 Have a great week! Have you started the new job yet? (Forgive me, time isn’t always linear for me and it’s hard to keep up with timelines!)