Home > Communication, Family, Parenting > Happily, howls of no

Happily, howls of no

My toddler howled and writhed when I tried putting his socks on him this morning. He was no more receptive to his shoes.

“Fine!” I finally grumbled, setting aside both socks and shoes. “You can go without!”

He immediately relaxed and smiled. “All done!” he said triumphantly as he slid off my lap. “Say no!”

I burst into laughter as he toddled off. Yeah, he made his “no” clear!

And it was a delight, for he babbles more than he speaks, and each new word he does speak tells me so much more about who he is.

I love him without many words, but I love getting to know him by his words, too.

I revel in the discovery, and look forward to even the howls of no ahead!

Categories: Communication, Family, Parenting Tags: , ,
  1. Deb
    December 2, 2015 at 10:56 am

Sometimes it’s so very hard not to laugh as they exert their independence. I have come to appreciate this more and more now as a grandma, much more than when I was the mom. Congrats for ‘getting’ this concept now and sustaining the joy that comes with it.

• December 2, 2015 at 5:57 pm

I wasn’t laughing at his exerting his independence; I loved that! I laughed at his “say no” afterward. This is his first time saying a phrase anywhere near this, and it sounded so sweet–especially in his defiant tone!–that laughter just poured from me … not at him, but in response to the entire situation. I love his clarity. 🙂

2. Susan
    December 2, 2015 at 11:42 am

How cute. I have a 3 yo grandson who is really at the height of his “No” time. We are trying to give him two choices. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. 🙂

• December 2, 2015 at 5:58 pm

Giving my older son choices has been super helpful! Even if neither choice is one he likes, the fact he has one makes all the difference. With the littler one and things like socks on a cold day … well, it’s either “be cold” or “don’t be cold.” :p

3. December 2, 2015 at 11:54 am

Haha too cute! The learning words thing is awesome. Although when BG chews us out I think I prefer the babble to knowing what she’s really saying 😉

• December 2, 2015 at 6:01 pm

This reminds me of a few bygone times with D! I loved how I’d have no idea at all what exact words he meant to be saying, while being crystal clear he was cussing me out with everything he had. (That might be just around the corner with J!)

4. December 2, 2015 at 12:04 pm

🙂 those were very longwinded conversations, especially as I only spoke school-German – for some reason teachers think essays about eco-friendly electricity are more important than arguments about socks.. (way back when I was an AuPair)
    I never took them to Kindergarten barefoot, though I would have loved to sometimes!

• December 2, 2015 at 6:03 pm

It’s a very different experience with my two boys. D was super verbal from the very beginning, talking about anything and everything from a very young age. J hasn’t been as concerned with words, making it very exciting that he is now becoming interested in them. 😀

(I left J’s shoes in his bag this morning. He’d embraced shoes sometime during the day, clearly, because I picked him up with them on, and there they stayed through our very long commute!)

5. December 2, 2015 at 12:45 pm

I understand that no was my first word. And that my parents had to go by the tone to tell whether my no was in fact a yes.
    Loving the joy you are finding, relishing, sharing.

• December 2, 2015 at 6:05 pm

There’s another blogger I love–one I haven’t followed as closely the last couple of years, since I’ve really meandered away from FB–who wrote about her joy in her toddler daughter’s love of “no.” I thought of that this morning and just beamed with it. That one little word can mean so, so very much. I encourage its being spoken … and truly heard! (Indeed, that single syllable is so much more instructive than a couple dozen irritated but ambiguous cries!)

6. December 2, 2015 at 3:30 pm

Isn’t it fun when their personalities start poking through and suddenly they are not just your babies but also little human beings!!

• December 2, 2015 at 6:07 pm

That is exactly it! I think he must’ve had a brain explosion, because he’s done a bunch of new things today, including hiding from me when I came to pick him up … because my presence meant he didn’t get his outside time! I wasn’t sad that he tried hiding from me, but rather excited to see him recognize the existence of choices. Of outside-versus-Mommy. Lovely!

7. December 2, 2015 at 3:40 pm

This is so cute ❤

• December 3, 2015 at 5:15 pm

I loved how it showed me who he’s becoming! I’ve gotten another few tastes since, which has left me both glad (yay! really him!) and a little annoyed (but why does he have to express this part of him right now?!). :p

• December 4, 2015 at 3:35 am

Haha! I wish you many many more :p

8. December 2, 2015 at 4:26 pm

lol!! I am pretty sure no is my three year olds favorite word! Along with I will do it by myself. He is a stubborn independent little thing 😉

9. December 3, 2015 at 8:27 am

Why do children hate the process of putting shoes and socks on? Is there a flaw in human DNA that makes us want cold feet?

• December 3, 2015 at 4:34 pm

I would love to know! He’d been so complacent about them the last week that I’d been lulled into a sense of “ah, we are past that now!” (I jinxed myself, didn’t I?)

Based on your comment, I think you might appreciate today’s post by Twinfamy. It made me LOL multiple times.

10. December 5, 2015 at 6:36 am

I am giggling to myself at this one. I am personally a perennially barefoot human (when not in high-heels). I understand your son completely. He is letting you know early his preference, smart young man! I think I love him.

1. December 5, 2015 at 6:32 am