Home > Family, Friends, Love, Parenting > I Am Thankful

I Am Thankful

I don’t care for the origins of Thanksgiving, but I do care about giving thanks.

My thanksgiving has little to do with any national history and everything to do with thanks.

Tomorrow as I eat a small, turkey-free meal with my husband and sons, I will be thankful.

I am thankful.

I am thankful for this reminder to be thankful, and to reflect upon the many sources of my gratitude. Life gets so hectic, I sometimes need to be reminded to pause and take it all in.

I am thankful I survived childhood, in large part due to the siblings who weathered it with me.

Mama's generations

Me and my siblings, then and now

I am thankful for my siblings, 900 miles away in space and 0 miles away in heart.

I am thankful for my mom. By all rights, she should have had little to give, but she gave love so greatly I will feel it with me forever.

I am thankful for my friends, who love me exactly as I am.

Also, they're really good at making me laugh.

THESE LADIES!

I am thankful for health insurance, as I remember life without it. I’m thankful for heating for the same reason.

I am thankful for my manager’s flexibility. Because of this, precious little of my time or energy goes into the what-if worries of the works-outside-the-home parent. If something comes up, no sweat. He’ll see me tomorrow or the next day. The freedom of this gives me more of everything to work with and allows me to give more in turn.

I am thankful for this blog and how it has connected me to you.

I am thankful for my working car and the money to keep it fueled and maintained, systemwise … even if it’s terrible to behold from the outside!

I am thankful for my education. I will be paying for my law degree until I’m 57, but my education–unlike most other things in life, save love–is something that can never be taken from me.

I am thankful for Big Brothers Big Sisters. I recall my Big Sister’s warmth almost 30 years later. And my first Little Sister? Well, she long ago became my little sister.

So much to smile about after a fully clothed dip in the ocean

So much to smile about after a fully clothed dip in the ocean

I am thankful for love.

I am thankful for rain and how it reminds me of my first home.

I am thankful for My Little Pony, old and new, and red cowboy boots. Black ones, too.

Boots almost as big as mine

Boots almost as big as mine

I am thankful for words and how, used well, they build bridges of understanding between people.

I am thankful for my sons’ teachers, including those who’ve “only” taught things like not hitting and compassion.

I am thankful for my sons, and to be here to watch them grow together.

15ddlmb

I am thankful my mom lived long enough to meet her first grandchild, and for the prospect Li’l D might someday hold his own child and understand the vastness of my gratitude.

I am thankful for my husband. We grew up in very different homes with very different ideas of partnership, which can make for an interesting ride as we figure out our own kind of partnership. We make lots of mistakes, but our relationship grows stronger with each one we navigate together. In his patient company, I am learning a new kind of perseverance: one that involves togetherness, not isolated fortitude.

I’m thankful for change. A year ago, I thought I wanted stability above all else. Now I understand the thrill of change: seeing new things, learning new things, and growing in ways I never could have had I opted to stay running in place.

1. November 25, 2015 at 1:41 pm

Happy Thanksgiving, Deborah, and thank you for your friendship and support in the last year and four months!xx

• November 25, 2015 at 2:46 pm

Thank you for your openness and beautiful words. My heart is opened further by you, and I wish I could offer more in return. ♡

2. November 25, 2015 at 1:55 pm

I am thankful your words always make me think. How precious everyone around us is. Thanksgiving should be celebrated every day.

• November 25, 2015 at 1:56 pm

Just not with turkey, it would get old.

• November 25, 2015 at 2:47 pm

I agree. I think something similar around this time each year, only to be swept up in the current again and wondering come the next year: How did I only remember in fits and starts?!

• November 25, 2015 at 4:03 pm

Because the world is filled with shiny and blurry things that distract us.

3. November 25, 2015 at 2:20 pm

Happy Thanksgiving.

4. November 25, 2015 at 3:00 pm

Beautiful post. 🙂

5. November 25, 2015 at 3:18 pm

What a beautiful list! It made me a little teary, to be honest. Your gratitude is palpable. I’m an American living in Canada so although I won’t get turkey tomorrow, I think I’m going to take a page from your book and make myself a gratitude/thankful list, too.

• November 30, 2015 at 6:03 pm

I hope your day was absolutely lovely … both this day of belated response, and the day of your comment! ♥

6. November 25, 2015 at 7:56 pm

Happy Thanksgiving!

7. November 25, 2015 at 9:21 pm

Oh yes.
    And I am thankful for laughter, because without it I would surely drown.

8. November 25, 2015 at 9:41 pm

Happy Thanksgiving ❤ I enjoyed reading your list.

• November 30, 2015 at 6:05 pm

I realized after posting it that I’d left out about 800 things, but it perfectly reflected the thanks I felt sitting in my car in a parking lot after getting off work early. ♥

9. November 25, 2015 at 10:47 pm

10. November 26, 2015 at 12:21 am

This is wonderful Deborah. I find when I feel down and out, what gets me out of that pit is to write down thing I am thankful for. Most of the things echo what you shared. Thank you for this! 🙂
    ~Carl~

• November 30, 2015 at 6:09 pm

One of the things that helped steer me away from depression in my late teens and early 20s was thinking about everything for which I was thankful. All these years later, it’s still my most effective tool for such steering-away! 😀

11. November 27, 2015 at 7:21 am

You remind me how easy it is to be grateful, to find gratitude. Thank you. I love you.

• November 30, 2015 at 6:10 pm

In almost every moment, I can find something to make me grateful … save if someone is telling me I must feel grateful, in which case I feel grumpy because that’s about serving them instead of genuinely feeling joy! But in 99% of cases, the thought of what is lovely crowds out the thought of that which is not, for me. Love you, and thinking of you. ♥

12. November 30, 2015 at 10:50 am

Thankful for your insight. Sometimes the answer is the easiest one!

13. November 30, 2015 at 6:11 pm

My sons’ pediatrician was the one who first told me that the simplest answer is usually the correct one! After enough years, I actually began to believe her. Still do. 😉