Home > Love, Reflections > The smile you can’t see

it
either-
or?

A contest
of wills,
one to weep
and the other to wonder?

Can’t
only
one
victor
stand?

What strange supposition,
that the human heart
must be so small!

For I,
knowing no better, perhaps?,
dance while dreading;
lift while lurching;
hug while hurting;
blow kisses while bidding adieu;
and still,
always,
find room
for more feelings
than there are words.

Categories: Love, Reflections Tags: , , ,
  1. July 20, 2015 at 1:29 pm

Lovely work, amazing how our hearts can function in so many ways at once. I know these feelings well…

• July 20, 2015 at 4:03 pm

Thank you! Sometimes I wish they were all praceful, easy feelings (ahem), but there’s beauty in them–and it–all.

2. July 20, 2015 at 1:52 pm

I suppose that’s our mind’s way of allowing us to cope with everything life throws at us. Wonderful post.

3. July 20, 2015 at 2:01 pm

Beautiful expression of the human condition! ❤ I often feel the ability to cope with and juggle so many simultaneous emotions and states of being is nothing short of a miracle.

• July 20, 2015 at 4:05 pm

Thanks! I’d meant to spend lunch reading a book, but reflection ended up being a better use of it. 🙂

4. July 20, 2015 at 2:47 pm

The human condition is a strange thing. It seems as though the natural state of everything is to live in contridiction. Like the double slit experiement. As particles and Schrödinger’s cat, to live all possibilities simultaneously until observed. Awesome poem. Very thought provoking.

• July 20, 2015 at 8:05 pm

This feels so right to me: “It seems as though the natural state of everything is to live in contridiction.” Lots to consider as I wind down this evening. Thank you.

5. July 20, 2015 at 3:22 pm

Beautifully said. 🙂

6. July 20, 2015 at 3:32 pm

Both/and always so preferable (and more true) than any either/or.

(It *is* a “strange supposition” indeed, isn’t it…)

• July 20, 2015 at 8:07 pm

YES on all counts! (In the closer-to-binary room, I’d like to say “yes” to sleep; alas, after two nights of not lending my eyeballs to A, I must do so tonight no matter how blearily!)

7. July 20, 2015 at 5:56 pm

Well, this state of being seems perfectly normal to me. ❤️

• July 20, 2015 at 8:08 pm

To me as well, though sometimes I meet folks who seem perplexed and get to pondering it! Not that such has happened recently, or today. 😉

8. July 20, 2015 at 8:50 pm

Beautiful, Deb, thank you for sharing it. Just keep going is what life is all about.

9. July 21, 2015 at 3:51 am

How can there not be all those things? Are we human and by our nature full of contradictions?

Lovely