Home > Parenting, Photos > Chew marks and all

Chew marks and all

My eleven-month-old son really likes sharing, in three- and four-second bursts.

So when he caught me peeking in yesterday to see if he’d fallen asleep, he naturally chose to share what he had been waving around moments before. He stretched his arm out toward me.

I couldn’t quite see what he was offering, so I broke one of our household’s few rules of naptime: I moved in for a closer look.

I found a sliver of wood.

What the–?!

It took me less than a second to figure out the sliver’s origin.

splinters

I crouched down and saw several more slivers on the floor beneath his crib.

When I rose, I found my little beaver at work again.

chomp

“Hon,” I called to my husband in the living room. “Could you lower the crib? It’s time to move the baby from the portable!”

Littler J beamed at me as I changed his diaper while we waited for his crib to be ready. Around his smile I saw little flecks of white that should have still been on his portable crib.

chompers

After I changed his diaper, I swooped him up and carried him into his brother’s room, now–thanks to his teeth–his room, too.

His dad was busy lowering the beams to their very lowest setting.

crib lower

Watching his dad work, it struck me how quickly the time has passed. Wasn’t it just last week that I’d slept on the floor next to my three-month-old while waiting for his portable crib to arrive? Somehow, in a only a week, that same boy is almost a year old and with a sense of industry larger even than his pearly whites.

I felt the weight of my little boy on my hip and came back to now.

Now is pretty darn sweet, chew marks and all.

Categories: Parenting, Photos Tags: , , , , , ,
  1. March 22, 2015 at 5:29 pm

Awww.
    Such a perfect love filled moment. Thank you.

2. March 22, 2015 at 6:08 pm

I kinda had to giggle just a little bit. Sorry, was I supposed to do that?

• March 22, 2015 at 8:27 pm

I kinda hoped someone would! I did, a little, after a moment spent mentally walking through whether or not I should panic. You can see which way I landed there. 😉

3. cardamone5
    March 22, 2015 at 6:22 pm

Adorable!

4. March 22, 2015 at 7:57 pm

I was just thinking, “He’s your little beaver, ” right before I saw it written! Boy, is he ever getting big! And he continues to be adorable–just like the rest of his family! ❤

• March 22, 2015 at 8:30 pm

Aw. Thank you. ♥

I have pretty … um … “prominent” front teeth, which Littler J inherited. I’d thought they looked adorably beaveresque on him, but now I see it’s more than just a matter of looks!

5. March 23, 2015 at 3:34 am

I can’t believe it’s time to lower the crib already! I look at my youngest who’s 8 and can still picture her in her tiny overalls toddling around with her binky. Sigh.

6. March 23, 2015 at 5:59 am

Now is a good place to be especially with little ones… they grow up so quickly! My “babies” are in their 30’s!! enjoy the blessings and wood chips!

7. March 23, 2015 at 10:31 am

Oh, my Deb, I was chuckling at this! Our kids keep us going, don’t they? He is a little love. What cutie pie kids you have, my friend! XOXO-Kasey

8. March 24, 2015 at 6:05 pm

Oh my gosh he’s almost a year old! I feel like I was reading your post about him just born only yesterday! Time does fly. And what a beautiful family you have 🙂

9. March 25, 2015 at 1:50 pm

Peeper’s crib is marred by teeth marks, too! They are beavers!

10. March 25, 2015 at 6:12 pm

Reblogged this on adventures in existence and commented:
    Add h