Home > Family, Love, Parenting > Call me Deborah?

Call me Deborah?

“Mommymommymommymommy!”

“Yes, sweetheart?”

“Mommy, look what I drew, Mommy!”

“That’s lovely.” I’m not quite sure what it is, but his enthusiasm really is inspiring.

“Mommy! I added a line! Look, Mommy! Mommy, look! Mommy!”

“Oh, my word! Can you please give me a second?”

“Yes, Mommy.”

Beat.

“Mommy? It’s been a second! Mommy!”

“How about you just call me ‘Deborah’ for now, kiddo? Could you do that?”

If I hear “mommy” one more time, I am going to run screaming.

“Yes, Deborah. Deborah, see the circle I drew. Deborah, Deborah, look at my circle!”

“Wow, what a circle!”

“Do you like it, Deborah? Are your circles as pretty?”

“Sometimes–”

“Deborah, Deborah, Deborah, look at my square! Isn’t it great, Deborah?”

“Kid, is there anyone else here with us?”

“No, Mom-I mean, Deborah.”

“You don’t have to call me anything, then. Just talk to me!”

“OK, Deborah … Deborah, Deborah, Deborah?! I love you!”

I smile. If he’s going to say my name ten times a second, he might as well say what he knows as my real name.

“Just call me ‘Mommy,’ kiddo. I love you, too.”

Sometimes 1,000 “mommies” a minute feels like 999 too many.

In the middle of the workday, though, I find I yearn to hear that lovingly spoken name. I’d be happy to hear it 1,000 times, if doing so meant I got to hear it once in that beautiful little voice.

Categories: Family, Love, Parenting Tags: , , ,
  1. September 23, 2014 at 1:29 pm

So sweet! It is such a precious age!

• September 24, 2014 at 5:21 am

It really is! I have moments of failing to appreciate it, but I always get back to where I need to be. 🙂

2. September 23, 2014 at 1:33 pm

I wouldn’t mind hearing a sweet little “Mommy” around my house. Instead, with teenage boys, I get a deep-voiced, “Hey Mom,” or simply, “Hey,” or worse, just a deep grunt. 😉

But I remember those days. It can get a tad…er…um…grating, can’t it?

• September 24, 2014 at 5:24 am

This made me chuckle. Reading blogs giving me good reminders that what I have now will only be for so long … then he’ll be right onto other stages, leaving me missing these moments where he was completely content just to sit and draw next to me for hours on end!

Anthony and I have called each other “Mommy” and “Daddy” since D was born. I called him by his name a couple of weeks ago, prompting him to express joy at being called by his actual name. He explained he loves being called “Daddy,” but not all the time. I was a week or two behind him on this one. 😀

• September 24, 2014 at 6:07 am

The hubs and I try to avoid calling each other Mom and Dad, but sometimes it slips out. 🙂

3. September 23, 2014 at 2:40 pm

My kindergartener always starts off stories with “Um, Mommy, …” and if he gets interrupted (or if anyone else in the room speaks – even if not to me or him), he pauses, grunts in frustration, and starts all over again with “Um, Mommy, …”. So when he restarts 20 times and still hasn’t gotten past, say, “Um, Mommy, today at school, I…”, I too get tired of hearing Mommy. I’ll tell him, “You don’t have to keep addressing me. You have my full attention. *Please* just start where you left off!”

• September 24, 2014 at 5:25 am

Hee. With D, “Um, Mommy” usually sounds like, “And then … and then … and then …” The number of times he says “and then” between parts of a story is our yardstick for how tired he is!

4. September 23, 2014 at 2:59 pm

I have fond memories of those days! Thanks for the smile! 😃

5. September 23, 2014 at 3:10 pm

I remember the very first, “your not my mother”. My response? “You are so right, my children would have better manners”.

Then it was, “what do we call you?” My response? “How about ma’am, till you get better manners.”

It has been nearly 34 years, I relish every single ‘Mom’, every single ‘Grandma’ and mostly every single, ‘I love you’.

Loved this one my friend.

• September 24, 2014 at 5:28 am

Everything about this comment made me beam. (That includes the fact that all my boys are asleep at the moment, giving me a moment to reply to it. For a morning person who hasn’t had a few moments of morning to herself in weeks, this is amazing. YES!)

Almost every time I hear the word, I remember how being a mom wasn’t on my roadmap for life … and how being a mom has brought such joy. Even in the middle of a three-week stretch of colds and coughing-related sleeplessness!

6. September 23, 2014 at 6:04 pm

Aw! Yep, as much as my kids can drive me nuts with the constant “hey Mom?” (and it is near-constant with my seven year old) I still try to appreciate the fact that I am blessed to even hear it at all.

• September 24, 2014 at 5:29 am

Amen to that (and remembering your beautiful FTIAT on a related note). Sometimes it takes me a little while to reorient myself, but mostly … that name, in that voice? It’s music. The very sweetest music.

7. September 23, 2014 at 6:13 pm

Yes, we will hear “mommy” or “daddy” that much and even hear it in our head even if our little one’s are sleeping or in school. And those times they are not physically calling us, we do miss those repeated words, not by ears, but by heart. All the best of memories to you & your family.

• September 24, 2014 at 5:38 am

Yesterday was an especially heavy missing. It seems funny sometimes to experience such a missing while my boys are physically so close, but it’s there. Oh, it’s there, leaving me so glad when the day is done and I get to enjoy those little boy snuggles once again.

8. September 23, 2014 at 6:22 pm

Very lovely story, I miss those days! Enjoy that sweet little voice, Deb! Kindergarten is the best, they are so excited about everything. Thanks for sharing this with us. 🙂

• September 24, 2014 at 5:39 am

Kindergarten is awesome so far! Faced with the challenge of so many new things to learn, Li’l D’s expanding to absorb as much of it as he can. We can see him changing every day and, more exciting still, being proud of the changes underway. So sweet!

9. September 24, 2014 at 5:06 am

Good one … and your conclusion made me laugh.

• September 24, 2014 at 5:40 am

I’ve gotta say, it was weird having him call me Deborah. Good thing he pointed out the flaw in my plan so quickly!

10. September 24, 2014 at 6:50 am

LOL! Too cute, and yes, there are times that it can be so aggravating, but it’s good to be able to step back and appreciate the love that comes with it!

Several years ago, my son and I were helping my mother out as she started a small business and we attended several craft fairs (Years of craft fairs)… the result was, that in order to sound more professional, my son called me by Kate. And he realized that I tended to hear that before I heard “mom”, and well, he’s called me Kate 75% of the time since then. I never really noticed it, as it’s all the same to me, but when we are in a group of new people, there are always some looks/comments/questions. I had one friend ask me “Are you and Mr. T okay?” And I was baffled at the question, and they went on “Well, he’s calling you by your first name, so I thought there was an issue.” 😀

11. September 24, 2014 at 11:01 am

Agreed! Sometimes being one mom is just about all I can handle.