Home > Family, Humor, Parenting, Safety > Looking back on 2013. Mostly with glasses.

Looking back on 2013. Mostly with glasses.

I was doing something a second ago. I’m sure of it. But what? Huh.

Betcha I was looking for my glasses. I’m always looking for–

glasses 2014 s

Oh, wait. They’re on my face for once! I should tell my husband. He’d be so proud. Or would he just say “Maybe you should keep them there”? Probably that. Darn.

I still feel like I’m missing something. Oh, I got it, I got it! I was writing a blog! Or I meant to, before I got distracted.

It’s the end of another year. That means it’s time for me to make note of things that happened this year, as I’ve done at the end of each year for the last decade, so that 2013 isn’t lost to my retention-challenged memory as “another year that stuff happened.”

It’s good to have a cheat sheet.

Some years, it takes me hours to capture the highlights. Other years, like 2013, it takes a few seconds:

• I changed jobs. My commute got a lot longer.
  • I moved. Twice.
  • I started baking child numero dos, but not, y’know, in an actual oven.
  • I got married.

I’m sure I’m forgetting something, but these were the things that (I think) defined 2013 for me.

I wrote some, too. It doesn’t take much of a memory to recall that! I have books to eventually finish writing, others to start writing and others still to edit, but this was a year to focus on settling in to other grooves. Most of what I wrote ended up being for my blog.

Much as I protest the designation “mommy blogger,” my most popular posts were overwhelmingly those dealing with parenting:
walking toward

1. Who he is meant to be — My son started preschool first thing this year. He took to it like a fish to water, while I flopped around on land gasping for a diving board. Writing this post helped me join my son in the water.
  2.  “How are you raising him?!” — Shortly after I read The Gift of Fear and Protecting the Gift, Gavin de Becker’s life-changing books about the power of fear, a neighbor gave me a scary but important chance to use what I’d just learned. His accusatory question gave me a chance to reflect on what I am teaching my son, and feel empowered in and by those choices.
  3. What report cards can’t report (Freshly Pressed) — The year began with me handing my son over to new teachers’ care. In the year since, I’ve learned more about myself and my son, making it easier to sort out what is important and what is less so in his journey to becoming who he is meant to be.
  4. Portrait of a Pedophile — Experience has taught me there’s a huge difference between real-life villains and what we expect them to look like. I painted a portrait of one seemingly gentle perpetrator from my childhood in hopes other parents–and their children–would benefit from my experiences.
  5. Breastfeeding, judgment, and–finally–joyous mothering — Halfway through my second pregnancy, I paused to reflect on what I’ll be doing much, much differently the second time around. Hint: It involves a lot less agonizing over others’ opinions than I did the first time around!

It’s fun to wonder what my 2014 retrospective might look like. Only one thing is certain: I’ll lose my glasses countless times between now and then!

. . . but not to these bozos, I won't!

. . . but not to these bozos, I won’t!

ALL
What did you do well in 2013? What do you hope to do better in 2014?

BLOGGERS
What was your most popular post of 2013? Your favorite? Which one best summed up your year? If you want to answer these questions in a post, either link this post or email the link and, if it’s appropriate, I’ll update this post to include it!

1. December 30, 2013 at 5:11 am

Losing your glasses is a sure sign of aging. So is not being able to figure out where the floor is if you aren’t wearing them. Mine are always on my face, sigh, except in the shower and then I get confused.

2013 has been a pretty terrific year for you. Well done! It will be hard to replicate it — I mean getting married again in 2014 would be a challenge. So would having a young child, a newborn and getting pregnant again in 2014! I suggest you rest on your 2013 laurels for a year or two!

As for me, 2013 was an OK year. Except losing my dog — which coincided to the answer to your question — the post I wrote that got the most traffic this year. This one was Freshly Pressed, and so, the stats went way up. http://fiftyfourandahalf.com/2013/08/14/letting-go/ (personally, I’d rather have kept low stats and the dog, but life doesn’t work that way, does it?)

I’m wishing you a wonderful — but different — 2014 — healthy and happy for all 4 (!) of you!

• January 1, 2014 at 10:24 am

I suggest you rest on your 2013 laurels for a year or two!
      Heh. That’s definitely the plan! Of course, it seems that planning for things is the surest way for something else to happen, but that’s no reason not to persevere in planning efforts. :p

I hope your 2014 is lovely!

2. December 30, 2013 at 5:20 am

You’ve had quite the year, Deb! Congrats to you for everything.

I just checked and my most viewed post this year was On Blogging.http://shesamaineiac.com/2013/02/28/on-blogging/

Whoa, I am shocked a post all about blogging would do so well. ha!

• January 1, 2014 at 10:30 am

Ringing in the new year last night, Anthony said 2013 wasn’t a bad year or a good year. I offered that I thought it was a pretty great year, earning The Look. “Oh, right . . . except for the first four or five months.” I’m glad that the latter months were good enough to dampen memories of the early part of the year. 😀

Very curious what 2014 will hold in store, but I sure do hope it’s sweet to you!

3. December 30, 2013 at 5:26 am

haha…that’s me constantly looking for my glasses. I have been guilty of asking my students to help me spot my glasses, to which they reply “you’re wearing them” or “they’re in your hand.” Still, sometimes it’s not that easy and 30 pair of eyes looking usually finds them pretty quickly. D2 gifted me three more pair of readers to help me not play “Where are they?” Most popular post came out in May, I believe, where I vacillated between wishing to move to the country house or staying in the city house. This year was marked by deciding to move from the house where the girls grew up…there are a lot of nooks and crannies I will miss…but it’s time to move on to the next chapter. My hope in ’14 is that leaving won’t be followed by cognitive dissonance. I love following your thoughts on your blog and so proud of your staying power. Congrats on another year on the blog.

• January 1, 2014 at 10:32 am

Many thanks for your encouraging words. ♥ I’m due for another pair of glasses, and I definitely need to get that so I have back-up! It’s easier to intend than to make the time, but seriously. It’s gotta happen! Getting some cheapo back-ups would also be a good idea, as would getting one of those chains I’m constantly bookmarking and never actually buying.

4. December 30, 2013 at 6:02 am

Congrats on a busy year!

I see Michelangelo, but I can’t see the color on the other one. Is it Donatello? M was always the troublemaker. I bet M stole your glasses, and D is trying to get them back for you.

• January 1, 2014 at 10:32 am

You called both of ’em! I had to share your comment with Anthony, who agreed you’d gotten it just right. 😀

5. December 30, 2013 at 7:15 am

Ha ha! This is so funny because I am always misplacing my glasses. Of course they are the first thing the babies head for when I take them off so I try to stash them out of reach and then I can’t remember where I stashed them. I think its worse too because now with Clearly contacts I have a few pairs so I am less attached to each specifically. Here’s to a happy and clear new year 🙂

• January 1, 2014 at 10:34 am

I was just watching a video of six-month-old Li’l D playing with his dad. He was totally focused on the interaction at first, but then, attention shifted: DADDY’S GLASSES! I could watch that moment over and over, how smoothly the glasses are relocated to Daddy’s face and out of chubby, tiny hands! :p

6. December 30, 2013 at 8:59 am

Very funny! I just last week bought myself my first pair of “readers”….sigh. The tired eyes of a mama. It’s interesting to see what your most popular posts were as well. It’s funny, I never thought of myself as a mommy blogger too but those kiddos do tend to invade our world whether we like it or not. And yes, my most popular ones too were ones revolving around my son and parenting. Things that make you say Hmmmm…..look forward to reading more from you in 2014! You had quite an eventful year!!!

• January 1, 2014 at 10:36 am

I used to have amazing eyesight, and then law school happened. I’d frequently photocopy four pages onto one page to save pennies, only to eventually discover that the savings to my bank account were matched by deductions from my vision bank. Would that I could go back in time! In this now, though, I should at least make sure I have a back-up pair of glasses! Call it a resolution . . . ?

7. December 30, 2013 at 10:36 am

Oh my, how I laughed when I read this post. I hated glasses so much I got contacts practically as soon as they were invented. Now, I must wear reading glasses on top of those and perpetually misplace them. Solution? Several cheap pair in my purse, my coat pocket, my car…
    My most popular blog post was actually one on aging well, as it was Freshly Pressed. http://livelifeincrescendo.wordpress.com/2013/06/04/aging-well/

Looking forward to smiling at more of your posts in 2014.

• January 1, 2014 at 10:39 am

My husband’s been trying to encourage me to get contacts, but you have to sit through a paid training session on how to use them first–ugh! This is possibly the year I’ll just bite the bullet, do the training, and get myself contacts. And when I say “year,” it should probably be more like “month.” It’s not going to get easier after the baby is born!

Checking out the post you linked now–or, a moment from now, as I want to wish you a rewarding 2014 first! 🙂

8. December 30, 2013 at 11:01 am

I’m gonna be lazy, and let WordPress deliver my stats. They’re gonna stink compared to last year, but c’est la vie. None of my posts really reflected my year – I wrote most of my posts to avoid the reality that kept annoying the piss outta me! Though I am kinda fond of my latest, “Shadows and Stardust”, and an earlier one I did, “Star Light” – sci-fi love poems, as one of my followers dubbed them. Even total clods can get lucky once in a while! 😉
    Frankly, I’m just waiting for 2013 to get the heck outta here, and hoping 2014 is a LOT smoother for me. And here’s my wish for a VERY Happy New Year’s Eve and Day, from my horde to yours!

• January 1, 2014 at 10:42 am

I wondered why my visits went down so much; finally it hit me lots of folks are reading via email and readers! I’ve temporarily switched to preview only, but I might switch back after getting a sense of where things are at now.

Since it took me a couple of days to comment, I’m pleased to report . . . 2013 is now over! I’m sure you hadn’t noticed. 😉

Seriously, I hope 2014 is kinder to you. Strike that! I hope it is kind to you, not just “somewhat kinder than last year.” This year same as last, I’ll be thankful for the smiles you bring.

9. December 31, 2013 at 1:03 am

Congrats again on the wedding and baby, I hope 2014 is a fab one for you all!

10. December 31, 2013 at 4:05 pm

2013 was your year, Deborah – and you earned it.
    Well done!

• January 1, 2014 at 10:43 am

Thanks, Hook! The early part was somewhat painful, but the latter half was sweet enough to more than make up for it. 🙂

• January 1, 2014 at 11:54 am

Our lives are a mix of pleasure and pain, Deborah.
        I hope the mix remains balanced for both of us.

11. January 1, 2014 at 6:39 am

First – I have multiple pairs of glasses. I keep them in my car (driving glasses for night and day). I keep them in my office (computer glasses with pink tint to cut glare and bounce). I keep them by the side of my bed and my reading chair (reading glasses). I keep them in my purse (just in case glasses bifocals for shopping and walking around the world). I keep them in my computer bag (computer glasses). I know, cray cray but I was always losing them and it was the only way I could function. Not all are prescription but some are.

Your year has been fabulous and I am so grateful you have shared it here. I constantly learn from you; I learn grace, I learn peace, I learn tenacity, I learn humor, I learn empathy and compassion, I learn forgiveness and humanity.

You are a teacher and a blessing. I wonder, do you know?

I love you. Happy New Year.

• January 1, 2014 at 10:45 am

I love you. I love the openness of your thoughts and heart. I am heartened by your words, whose sentiments I sometimes echo . . . and other times don’t, but am glad to know through others’ that what I do or don’t feel isn’t necessarily always the truth.

Happy new year. ♥

12. January 1, 2014 at 1:21 pm

I hope I am keyboarding the correct keys, as I too am looking for my glasses. Oh, there they are! And just look at that first sentence! I can keyboard without them. That grade 7 typing class has to date been one of the most valuable courses in all my years of education, although I did not think so at the time. It’s made writing a full-fingered experience. I cringe whenever I watch my little loves (quite grown up now) limited to only two fingers and just their thumbs whenever they’re using their cellulars. I’m screwed, though, if the old-fashioned keyboard is ever modernized. I suspect I’m programmed for life in this respect.

Deborah the MC, I don’t even remember how I stumbled upon your blog now, but I’m glad and grateful I did. Thank you for sharing your stories and so much more.

As I read your list of happy life changes, I recalled my own, so many years ago now, that are nearly identical to yours. Happy memories, indeed! I wonder how I accomplished it all, as my life now seems so much simpler.

May all the moments in your life keep you healthy, happy, and wise! Happy 2014 and beyond!

• January 12, 2014 at 8:19 am

Many thanks! I have no complaints with the new year so far. But, now that I see that typed out, it doesn’t seem strong enough. Not only am I without complaint, I am with a whole lot of thanks. I hope your year is being kind to you! 🙂

1. January 5, 2014 at 10:31 am