Home > Blogging, Humor > The perfect blog!

The perfect blog!

I gazed at the two two-cup Pyrex containers side by side on the counter and shook my head in dismay. “Honey, these two containers are supposed to be the same size and they’re not!” I called to my fiancee the next room over. “Pyrex is supposed to be, I donno, infallible.”

“Mmm,” he replied non-commitally, unable to muster enough chagrin to warrant looking away from his computer. “That’s in a different market,” he mumbled. “Glass storage isn’t their forte, yet.”

I glared at the containers side by side on the counter and shook my head. “I think I need to blog about this. Seriously, folks need to know they should invest in Ziploc* glassware. This other stuff is solid, but not irreplaceable. I mean, unless you like leaking sauerkraut-laced chocolate donuts. Which, fortunately, our son does.”

The dream of the 80s is alive in my wardrobe

The dream of the 80s is alive in my wardrobe

I’d no soon uttered the minilogue than I started laughing. At myself. Yep. The perfect blog! Other perfect blog titles flashed before my eyes:

• Why My Socks Are Better than Yours
  • Bringing Back the Cassette Tape: Let’s Do This!**
  • The Necessity (and Winningness) of Shoulder Pads
  • Canoes: The Perfect Living Room Accent?
  • Teaching Newborns Couponing (It’s Never Too Early!)

There’s definitely a place for posts like these.*** That place is just not on my blog.

I still resist my old doctor’s suggestion that I’m middle aged**. By most accounts, I’m at least a half-decade away. But in moments like those in which I feel an earnest hankerin’ to blog about the pros and cons of assorted glassware, I’m reminded I’m inching closer by the day.

You know what? I’m A-OK with that, as long as I keep on feeling young at heart.

Thanks to this dude, I do

Thanks to this dude, I do

What blog ideas have you nixed as not feeling right for your blog?

* This is not a sponsored post. No, really!

** OK, not really old, but former. Not because of this “middle age” thing. No, really!

*** In fact, I welcome you to write them. Especially the shoulder pad one.

1. July 3, 2013 at 6:46 am

Gosh, there have been plenty I’ve nixed–but my favorite here is about the canoe in the living room! Hope you’re doing well.
    Hugs from Ecuador,
    Kathy

• July 5, 2013 at 8:28 pm

That one was based on the fact we actually have a half-canoe in our living room! This one houses pictures, but it’s fun to imagine other reasons one might have a full, usable canoe hanging about their living room. ๐Ÿ˜€

2. July 3, 2013 at 7:25 am

And just what, are you implying, would be WRONG about a post about the crushing disappointment of non-matching Pyrex containers in a world gone horribly awry? I’d read that. What? Whaaaat????

3. July 3, 2013 at 7:40 am

I can’t post about veggies on my blog. It just wouldn’t fit. I can’t tell anyone that last night Radley actually said to me, “Hey…you’re not eating a salad for dinner. That’s weird.”

• July 5, 2013 at 8:30 pm

I did a double-take just reading this in comment! My mind is blown, a little. (A little times a LOT, that is. o.O)

I’m glad to read it here. ๐Ÿ˜€

4. July 3, 2013 at 7:54 am

I cannot write about parental dysfunction with a story or two from my childhood because my mother reads my blog. This would start many problems that I really do not want to go over again.

• July 5, 2013 at 8:31 pm

Oh, I hear that! Sometimes I wonder what my mom would say if she could see how much I’d written about her. I think she’d be happy that so much of it is (rightly) sweet, but I can’t say I’m 100% sure.

5. July 3, 2013 at 8:58 am

Sexual dysfunction

Yeah, can’t write about that ever.

But I would read about mismatched Pyrex if you wrote it.

• July 5, 2013 at 8:31 pm

I’m kinda tempted to write about it now. Isn’t writing about the things one typically avoids good writing development? Then again, there are constraints . . . sometimes, it’s just trouble!

6. July 3, 2013 at 10:51 am

Ha! This is hilarious! I find that when I think about writing a post where all I want to complain about something I can’t. I mean, I might write about something that wasn’t great, or something that went wrong, but I like to have the solution included…there’s enough bad news goin’ around that my blog doesn’t have to participate, lol! XOXO-Kasey I want the canoe!

• July 5, 2013 at 8:33 pm

HEAR THAT! Sometimes I wonder why I like to wrap up my posts on a hopeful note, even though life isn’t always like that. I think the answer is in the question. So much of life is messy and unanswered, it’s nice to occasionally find the ribbon that wraps up–if only for a moment–one otherwise messy question. Love you.

7. July 3, 2013 at 11:37 am

I try to avoid writing about anything that sounds whiny because pretty much all of my problems are First World Problems. That’s why I choose not to write about things that annoy me or frustrate me until I have time to gain perspective. Then, if the idea still feels worthy, I write about it, but make fun of myself.

• July 5, 2013 at 8:34 pm

That’s pretty much how I feel about it, with rare occasion. I think that’s why I was so startled in that moment: “Wait, seriously? I was going to write a serious blog about that?!” Oy. Writing it this way gave me a chance to poke fun at myself, which is–as you indicate–generally better for everyone. ๐Ÿ™‚

8. July 3, 2013 at 2:11 pm

I always swore I’d never write about sex. Well, I finally caved and wrote ONE post about sex (a funny one, naturally) but I can promise you, I will never do it again.

I’d love to read the shoulder pads post!

• July 5, 2013 at 8:36 pm

I just might have to write one! My mom would be tickled to know that I, she-of-the-shoulder-pad-ravaging, now occasionally leave the shoulder pads in jackets. I think there could be fun in it.

And I KNOW I read the post you’re talking about, but I can’t recall it . . . so I might just have to do some rummaging! ๐Ÿ˜€

9. July 8, 2013 at 6:17 pm

From someone who is definitely middle-aged, I say this with a happy heart. It’s not so bad. You can leave the house without a babysitter and have enough money to buy things.

• July 11, 2013 at 5:12 am

From everything I’ve read, I’m looking forward to it! Truly. I still often think of Transitioning Mom’s post about this from a couple of years back. I like the thought of being still more comfortable in my own skin.