Home > Charity, Health > Beautiful baldness

Beautiful baldness

Sunday marks one year since I shaved my head bald for St. Baldrick’s. My anxiety diminished along with my hair; at the end, I looked at my bald self and rejoiced, for I was finally seeing “me unconcealed.”

I liked what I saw–not the surface stuff, but the truer things beneath that. No matter what anyone else did or did not see, I looked into my own face and saw a me I wanted to be.

before after

It was powerful. It was liberating, even apart from its inspiration, which was hope for an end to childhood cancer.

This weekend, a woman I’ve never met but admire tremendously will be shaving her head for St. Baldrick’s Team Robot Boy. Her son, almost exactly my own son’s age, has battled cancer for much of his life so far. She’s written about that here, and she’s written about his spirit on this very blog.

If you are able, please donate $5 for Robot Boy–or in honor of someone you love, in memory of someone you love, in hope for a future free from childhood cancer.

1. March 20, 2013 at 7:43 pm

I think you look absolutely fabulous, even more beautiful without hair… 🙂 And what a great cause, my best friend shaved her head when her co worker got cancer and lost her hair…I have never seen her look more beautiful either xox

2. Donnell Jeansonne
    March 20, 2013 at 8:02 pm

Thank you so much, Deb. You and everyone I’ve met over the last year who were involved in St. Baldrick’s events have been my inspiration. And , of course, Robot Boy-the little super-hero who continues to break through walls every day.

3. Donnell Jeansonne
    March 20, 2013 at 8:09 pm

Reblogged this on A Wordsmith's Brainworks and commented:
    A wonderfully written blog about inspiration and saving lives.

4. March 20, 2013 at 11:03 pm

Scrolling through my reader I saw your photo and I’m fairly sure I commented when you first shaved your head, on how it felt for me when I lost my hair from chemo. Children having cancer is just unspeakably awful, and I admire anyone who raises awareness especially from putting themselves out there. Since seeing your photo the first time I’ve relapsed, lost my hair again and gone back into remission, but even on my darker days I would look at my healthy son and know life could be so much worse. Going to the hospital for my treatments, and seeing children…words can’t describe… Off to check out your friends blog now xx

5. March 21, 2013 at 1:07 am

I am sorry. I am too stretched to donate this time, but my heart goes out to everyone affected by this vile disease.

6. March 21, 2013 at 3:18 am

I thought you were beautiful without your hair. I still think you are beautiful for bringing these stories to us so we can take part in stepping up and helping.

7. March 21, 2013 at 7:00 am

Do you know what I did? I changed the email address on my WordPress account and now I don’t see all the new posts because I don’t look through that account. I’ve missed so much! So now I’ve got some catching up to do.

On behalf of Team Robot Boy, I thank you once more!

8. March 21, 2013 at 7:03 am

I remember when you did this. Good for you for bringing such an important topic to light. My nephew was born with cancer in both eyes. He lost one eye, but today he is healthy, happy and picking out colleges!

9. March 21, 2013 at 7:44 am

You are beautiful with or without your hair and your generosity shines through for with your brave heart.

10. March 21, 2013 at 12:57 pm

I can’t believe it’s been a year already! Chris and I are headed to Chicago again next weekend to cheer on this year’s shavees, meet a few new folks, and reconnect with the amazing people we met last year. i already donated to Team Robot Boy. 😉
    Nice to see a post from you! It’s been a while. Thinking of you. xoxo

11. April 4, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Wow! I think that’s so brave! I’ve thought about doing that, but that’s where the action stops. I’ve donated my long hair a few times, but it’s not the same. But then I see beautiful pictures like yours and I think “maybe it’s not so bad…” But in the end, I’m a chicken.

1. March 22, 2013 at 4:47 am