Home > Uncategorized > FTIAT: A Poem, if You Please – I am Thankful for These

FTIAT: A Poem, if You Please – I am Thankful for These

Katy (k8did)’s a teacher and nurse,
Full up of compassion.
She also writes  verse
I’ve got no hope of matchin’.

Her blog’s oft good for a giggle,
A dream, and a sigh;
Others, you’ll sniffle,
And think, “What a guy.”

The poem’s k8’s realm,
And I h8 to defile it!
So I’ll hand her the helm,
At least for a bit.

Recommended post: Give up the peanut butter cup and nobody gets hurt

A Poem, if You Please – I am Thankful for These

With kids of their own
My hardest work – done!!
Such joy I have known.

The body I complain about
It’s fluffy – not fat!!!
Is sturdy and strong
And I’m thankful for that.

My home, solid and cozy
Filled with laughter and love
I’m so grateful to be
A proud owner of.

Five healthy grandkids
Whose hugs I adore
Their pure child-love
I am so thankful for.

Work that I love
Where I stretch and I grow
I’m more grateful for
Than you’ll ever know.

Good friends I have made
Both virtual and real
I’m so thankful that
They understand what I feel.

Sisters who love me and
Always have my back
My heart fills with love
No gratitude I lack.

A dog true and faithful
Whose love knows no bounds
I am thankful for Shelby,
The most loving of hounds.

Swaying palm trees
In a soft Gulf breeze
Sparkling white sand
I am thankful for these

Writers and readers
Hours of pure blogging bliss
Enriching my life
And I’m thankful for this.

My life’s filled with blessings
Of that there is no doubt
My heart’s full of gratitude
My thanks I do shout.

May I always know what I have
And carefully tend to my gifts
In pure gratitude and joy
My thankful voice lifts.

–-

last: The Strongest Woman I Know | The Waiting Room (4/27/12) : next

Categories: Uncategorized
  1. April 13, 2012 at 5:48 am

I am grateful for these words, that remind me to be grateful for the small things. I am thankful for you, Deborah, for providing this space. I wanted to respond in verse, but couldn’t find the words today. Maybe next time.

• April 13, 2012 at 6:12 am

Lisa, it is National Poetry Month so I am endeavoring to rhyme as many times as I can!!! It is nice that Deb provides this outlet for readers/writers to share their thoughts on the lists of things for which we should be grateful – both mighty and small. We are, even the most challenged amongst us, blessed in many, many ways. I appreciate your stopping by and when you feel the urge to respond in verse – let ‘er rip…

2. April 13, 2012 at 5:54 am

This is positively wonderful, and very very clever.

• April 13, 2012 at 6:15 am

Thanks, Renee’, I appreciate your praise. I seem to have hit my stride here lately with the poems – it is a relaxing outlet for me. Of course, it is also a diversion that keeps me from doing some of those important things on my to-do list; things like serious writing, cleaning the house, and filing my taxes (which are done, just not completely sent in). I am, truly, blessed in ways that I couldn’t have imagined would give me such joy 20 or 30 years ago. It’s a wonderful thing.

3. April 13, 2012 at 6:23 am

For I am thankful this blessed day, to have read these words that carried me away. Thank you K8did, your poem was bliss, I am grateful to not have missed. 😉

• April 13, 2012 at 9:30 am

Thank you, Fraha…love your rhyming comment. Maybe one day I’ll do a post and insist everyone comment in verse. Yes, yes….I’m gonna do it yet this month for National Poetry Month. Thanks for the inspiration!

• April 14, 2012 at 7:31 am

Ohhh. That sounds like fun!

4. April 13, 2012 at 6:50 am

Another wonderful poem, Katy! I love it. I was smiling just thinking about Shelby 🙂

• April 13, 2012 at 7:10 am

P.S. – Oh and Deb, your introductions keep getting better and better! “And I h8 to defile it” really cracked me up!

• April 13, 2012 at 9:39 am

That Shelby – she is a source of great joy. Except when she gives me a big old slobbery kiss in the night (unless I am dreaming of Timothy Olyphant, of course). Thanks Jules – glad I could make you smile. You usually are just so serious all the time.

5. April 13, 2012 at 8:04 am

You are blessed. This is gratitude so wonderful and abundant. You own the virtual poem genre, k8. Thank you for lifting us through your verse. Thank you, I think I feel a soft breeze.

• April 13, 2012 at 9:31 am

I truly am blessed. Enjoy that breeze – usually they come from your direction across the Gulf.

6. Carrie
    April 13, 2012 at 8:14 am

She makes me smile. 🙂 What a wonderful heart she must have to be able to write that. I love seeing such a bright spirit. It’s clear that she CHOOSES to be thankful. I am blessed to be surrounded (online and in life) by positive and optimistic people.

• April 13, 2012 at 9:34 am

I do choose to be thankful, most of the time. I have my bitchy, I want what I want moments but they aren’t frequent and they are usually forgotten quickly. I love being surrounded by positive and optimistic people, as well, but even those who aren’t serve as a reminder – to be thankful, to remember that others are suffering, and that happiness can be short-lived. Thanks for stopping in and commenting. It is nice to meet you.

7. Carrie
    April 13, 2012 at 8:16 am

Oh, and I love your screen name k8did. I call my younger daughter katydid all the time. 🙂

• April 13, 2012 at 9:36 am

(8>))) (That’s me, with my glasses and many chins!)

8. April 13, 2012 at 9:08 am

What a lovely, lovely poem. I’m tearing up here at the important reminder to appreciate all I have.

Thanks to Deb for presenting this series – that’s a pretty good poem there, too!

• April 13, 2012 at 9:29 am

Well, we are not quite even, then. I remember sobbing when I read your post in this series. It is astounding to me that all the things I thought would make me happy when I was younger mean so little in the grand scheme of things. Even on my worst day (and there aren’t many) I am richly blessed beyond measure.

9. April 13, 2012 at 9:58 am

This was awesome, I loved it indeed, and wanted a lift for a morning in need! It was great to read someone who’s gratitude and grace, could fill up our hearts in this wonderful place. For blogging is something I’m grateful for, too, as it gives me the gift of meeting writers like YOU. 🙂 Thank you, k8edid for this smiling start to the morning! 🙂 XOXO-SWM

• April 13, 2012 at 10:03 am

Whoa!!! That was great. Thanks for the verse-i-fied comment. I loved it.

10. April 13, 2012 at 10:28 am

Just when I think you can’t top yourself, you do. I loved every line! What a wonderful poem to read today, puts me in a happier frame of mind for the weekend. I wish for more blessings for you and your family, Katy!

• April 13, 2012 at 2:15 pm

I would love more blessings, Darla!!! I’m trying hard right now just to deserve the ones I’ve got. Enjoy the weekend, glad you’re in a happier frame of mind. Wait! Wait. You have an anniversary, right? Twelve years? I feel a poem coming on….

• April 13, 2012 at 2:40 pm

You deserve every single one and then some. And a poem for my anniversary would be fantastic!

11. April 13, 2012 at 4:30 pm

wonderful! Thank you!

• April 13, 2012 at 6:30 pm

You are most welcome!!!

12. April 14, 2012 at 1:27 pm

This is beautiful! I feel very thankful to have read it! The simple pleasures shared with family and friends are the best! 🙂

• April 14, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Yes, yes they are. I am glad (and thankful) that you enjoyed it.

13. April 16, 2012 at 8:41 am

You know how I feel about your poetry creations. Thank you. You are a pleasure.

1. April 13, 2012 at 6:08 am