Home > FTIAT, Guest blogger > FTIAT: Where I embrace my inner geek

FTIAT: Where I embrace my inner geek

John (The Adventures of Daddy Runs A Lot) had me at “I like Buffy.” Okay, I confess it’s unlikely he said those exact words, but it was somehow established we had a mutual affection for Buffy the Vampire Slayer. As you probably know by now, 99% of the people who like this TV show are 10th-dan black belts in the martial art of “awesome.”

Much like our mutually beloved Buffy, John’s blog is a mix of humor and earnest contemplation. Each of these things is precious of its own right, but it’s the mixing of the two that leads to the truest reflection of life well lived.

Whether through the words “I like Buffy” or otherwise, I simply count myself grateful our blog paths did cross.

Recommended post: Where I contemplate the zombie infestation

Where I embrace my inner geek

I’m not sure how I came to follow the lovely Deborah here . . . maybe I was blog-hopping and she wrote a comment on someone’s blog that caught my eye.  Maybe I was looking for topless photos of Jennifer Garner and somehow came upon her notes from being an extra on Alias.  Maybe she stumbled upon my blog and I followed the link back to her place.  All I know is that, once I figured out what “this,” was, I knew I was at home.

She was the mother of a little child.  She loved to read.  She enjoyed going to a comic-convention or two and has done what I hope to do, someday: complete a novel.  She’s run marathons and can write something to make you sore from laughing one day and bring you to the brink of tears the next.  “Self, you’ve found your home,” I said to myself when I clicked on the subscribe button – and since then, it’s become just a wave of awesomesauce.

So, when the call for guest writers came out – well, I didn’t have much of a choice.  I mean, I’ve already made myself at home, writing a few words seems to be the least I could do.  And, somehow, writing about my inner-geek seems just about perfect here.

Why did I come to this conclusion? Because I delayed writing this because I had the Lord of the Rings on in the background, and I had to take a break for the Cave-Troll battle.

I’m fairly certain that I’ve had full conversations in nothing but movie quotes.  Or Harry Potter quotes.  I lament the fact that second breakfast and elevensies are not part of our culture.  I know there is no greater way acknowledge an order than the words “as you wish.”  When someone has unnaturally blue eyes, I wonder if they’re part-Fremen.  I’ll argue, loudly, that we need to eat Irish babies in order to cure poverty in the world.  I’m fluent in the rules of zombies, and I constantly question why there isn’t a single standard for vampires.  I’m openly distrustful of six-fingered men.  I associate the term “sex and violence” with the Muppets, and I firmly believe that the absolute apex of celebrity is to be on Sesame Street.  The best way for the subject of a prophecy to not learn about said prophecy is to keep that subject from learning to read.  The Seminal Fluids is a great name for a rock band.  My favorite politician of all time is Clinton “Skink” Tyree.  “I know” may be the single most romantic line ever uttered on film, and Han shot first.  If I could have but one item to hang on my walls, it would be the greatsword Ice.  I’d fear a confessor more than I’d fear the electric chair, but not nearly as much as I’d fear thread.  I truly freak out whenever I have an earache, as I’m convinced that the mind-control is near complete.  Sometimes, the shadow of the great story is a better way to tell it, especially if the shadow is that of Bean.  My Room 101 would have Fear Demons that grew well-past their actual size.

There was a long time of my life that I based what I liked on what I perceived others would think about it.  Now, I gladly don’t care . . . and what I love about being around here is that it feels like there’s always a couch available for me.

Thanks, Deborah, for the opportunity.

last Magic Words | Little Gratitude : next

1. January 6, 2012 at 5:54 am

Thank you, again, Deborah, for letting me come in here 🙂

• January 6, 2012 at 6:11 am

Thank you for being here, and making me smile all over again with your post! With this, you’ve redoubled that comfort/community with it, and for that I’m thankful. 😀

2. January 6, 2012 at 5:57 am

And THAT is why John is Mr. Awesomesauce, and my hero.

3. January 6, 2012 at 6:23 am

Dang, John! You are such a kindred spirit! Not only is Buffy the only show I own on DVD (like, all 7 seasons, which I’ve watched straight through on two separate occasions), but my FTIAT post was eerily similar to this: “There was a long time of my life that I based what I liked on what I perceived others would think about it.”

I loved this post not only for all of the fond, geek-filled memories it churned up, but for the way it embraces who you are with pride! You’re saucy in the awesome-est way.

• January 6, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Your entries reached my inbox really close together, which tickled me to no end! I love being in such good company here. ❤

4. January 6, 2012 at 8:44 am

“There was a long time of my life that I based what I liked on what I perceived others would think about it. ” Oh MY GOD yes!!!

I, too, am highly impressed by Deborah’s turn on Alias. I didn’t watch Buffy but maybe I can be sort of part of the club because Alias is maybe a distant cousin, yes? No? You guys let me know if I’m in.

And speaking of inner geeks Deborah stole my heart when she told me about one of her true loves. Ask her about My Little Pony. Really. Ask.

So fun to visit two pals in one place!!

• January 6, 2012 at 8:39 pm

Many of my Buffy friends were also Alias fans, so I’d say you’ve got something there! (Also, just six more months until I add new ponies to my desktop “stable!” Yeah!)

5. hormoneminefield
    January 6, 2012 at 9:51 am

I know few of the references of which you write, and yet you’ve made me smile. Maturity, wisdom, age? What is it that gets us to the great place of not caring what opinions others may form of you? To thine own self be true! Love your post!

6. January 6, 2012 at 10:33 am

I know there is no greater way acknowledge an order than the words “as you wish.” – So very, very true.

7. January 6, 2012 at 11:48 am

John, you sound like my kind of guy! Funny post. Glad to meet ya. 🙂

8. January 6, 2012 at 11:55 am

John, I think you might be my new favorite. This post was awesomesauce.

9. January 6, 2012 at 12:07 pm

I, too, embrace my inner geek. It’s a sickness, I suppose–but the symptoms are easily managed. And it’s certainly not terminal. Here’s to inner-geek-dom!
    Kathy

10. Kasey MacInnes
    January 6, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Inner Geek: one lurks within each of us-even those who don’t want to admit it! And, I can’t say that I understood any of the terms you used in the heart of your post, but nonetheless, it’s like visiting a foreign country: somehow, you still get the meaning and understand each other famously.
    🙂 Favorites from this post? Love the word “awesomesauce”! And, really, if I can get my just-turned-eight-year-old to respond to my orders (or I prefer to think of them as “requests” hee, hee) with the words, “as you wish”, well, then let us join the deeper geek kingdom of which I have yet to enter! Is there a movie called “Lord of the Geeks” (I have watched Lord of the Rings)? If so, I crown you, my sir! Great post, and thank you so much for sharing your embrace. 🙂

11. January 6, 2012 at 4:24 pm

Hi! I was a big fan of Buffy. Now I am going to visit your blog and will likely be a big fan of yours. Thanks Debra for introducing John to me.

Cheers,
    Louise

• January 6, 2012 at 5:08 pm

What Louise said!

I loved Buffy and still have “Hush” on a scratchy VHS tape with which I am unwilling to part! That episode scared the pants off me and made me howl with laughter! Both! How about Firefly? Seen that series that morphed into a movie?

• January 6, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Thank you for reading, and welcoming him here–and there!

12. January 6, 2012 at 5:27 pm

You are genius, John.

Almost as good as second breakfast.

Loved every word.

And thanks for introducing me to another great blogger…

• January 6, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Good to “meet” you, Julie, and know already you have impeccable taste! Which, of course, makes one of us. 😀

13. January 6, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Mmm… elevenses. And troll battles.

Let’s hang out. And kudos to Deborah for hosting you.

14. January 6, 2012 at 8:49 pm

Love reading you someplace new {to me}, John!

15. January 8, 2012 at 1:59 am

TY for sharing your blog with us John… The lovely Deborah is a special blog friend and I’m glad you appreciate her the way we do. 🙂

16. January 9, 2012 at 6:27 am

Is it embarassing to admit I’ve had full conversations with Silence of the Lambs quotes?

17. Lance
    January 10, 2012 at 6:54 am

Buffy and Angel fan.

My 8 yr old daughter, Lyla, ‘s name was inspired by Lilah, the villain on Angel.

geeks unite

18. January 20, 2012 at 9:23 am

Love the embracing of the inner geek. Can I be a geek if I only understood 1/8th of the references? Maybe a geek-in-training.

1. January 6, 2012 at 5:40 am