Home > Self-publishing, The Monster's Daughter, WIP, Writing > Two vampires and a merman walk into a bar . . .

Two vampires and a merman walk into a bar . . .

Reminder: Don’t forget to enter my two-book giveaway before Friday!

Once upon a time, which for the more literal-minded among you might look like March 7, 2011, yours truly reported she’d be releasing the second book in The Glass Ball trilogy (begun by The Monster’s Daughter)  in September 2011. The third book in the trilogy would follow by roughly six months.

Oh, March 7 Deb, you’re so cute!

Hope and all things hope-like, I will make you suffer!

When I posted these deadlines, I encouraged y’all to “Remind me I am merely editing already written books, for which six months apiece was probably a lot on the excessive side.” I didn’t (a) bother mentioning that I’d begun writing another book or (b) anticipate I’d finish my first edit of TMD 2 and realize I really didn’t want to wield my pen like a pitchfork just because I could.

I took the month of June off writing. I was driving myself crazy with blogging-related endeavors, so that I felt I needed a total reset before diving into non-blogging projects with energy and a fresh perspective. I considered my works in progress occasionally during that month, deciding I’d nose-down and plow my way through:

1. Editing TMD 2 and release it to beta readers, then editors
  2. Editing TMD 3 while waiting for feedback from 1 above
  3. Finishing the first draft of Elelu (which has massively benefited from my experiences editing TMD)*

I greeted July determined to follow this path. My intentions are always as good, after all, as they are misguided! The problem was that I set out to write a couple hundred words in Elelu one day, only to find a veritable flood of words pouring forth.  Thus it is that one-third of the way through July I find myself going, “Welp, dammit, looks like #3 is becoming #1!”

Seriously, though. One deadline I’m absolutely going to meet? Finishing the first draft of Elelu within a month.

Really. It’s gonna happen. All my other deadlines? Those were different.

This one’s the real deal.

* As I described it in the entry Villains & pedicures, “Every several sentences, I ask myself, ‘Will editing the last few sentences make me want to jump off a roof?’ So far, I haven’t answered ‘yes’ even once, but it’s good to keep checking. This diligence now is an investment in a happier, saner future me.”

1. July 11, 2011 at 6:54 am

” it’s good to keep checking”…. I check the roof to jumping ratio at least three times a day… sometimes just about unloading the dishwasher 🙂

2. July 11, 2011 at 7:30 am

Do my eyes deceive me, or is that My Little Merpony you’re sporting there?

Nothing says “Serious about deadlines” like comfort clothes, though. Just don’t forget to give them a wash once every few weeks! 😀

3. July 11, 2011 at 9:58 am

Fierce! Write on! Edit later.

4. July 11, 2011 at 10:54 am

You’re amazing! I don’t know how you acomplish all that you do! Are you bionic or is it the power of the MLP tank top? Lately, I can’t even manage to get one post out, let alone write and edit books, manage a job and be a mom to a toddler!
    Step away from the roof, give yourself a gigantic pat on the back, and let me borrow that top! 🙂

5. July 11, 2011 at 11:18 am

Lovely evil PJs! 😀

Good luck with all of your deadlines! I’m currently staring mine down too (sometimes I win the staring contest, sometimes it does).

6. July 11, 2011 at 12:23 pm

I am impressed by your plans and diligence–just remember that the best of plans need to be flexible when reality hits. Not jumping off the roof is good, not wanting too is nice too. Chocolate tends to help everything. Sometimes my only goal is “I will not go bonkers today!” I mostly succeed. Hang in there.

7. July 11, 2011 at 12:46 pm

I’ve given up on deadlines. Could never keep them!

8. July 12, 2011 at 9:40 am

Man, I wish I had your discipline!

9. July 17, 2011 at 1:44 am

Funny, I’m adding my comment after the fact… I’m glad I entered the contest and look forward to the goodies. Like you, I love books… Thank you! 🙂
    Again, I’m catching up on blog comments after another long 4 day yoga retreat in Boston… I got back Thursday night to over a thousand emails. Will begin a marathon commenting effort shortly! TY! 🙂