Home > Personal, Silly, Writing > Freshly Pressed

Freshly Pressed

Freshly Pressed Deb was at least twenty times crazier than blonde Deb

I was in the middle of walking my dog and reading Bumped by Megan McCafferty when my phone beeped. I glanced at it to make sure it wasn’t a “HALP PLS!” message from my S.O., Ba.D., who was back at our apartment with our sick toddler, Li’l D.

I tucked my book under my elbow and checked my phone. Nope, no text message–just a WordPress new comment notification on my Reading While Walking post. I returned my phone to my purse and prepared to read again.

“Morning!” Two men sitting and smoking on their apartment’s steps called as I neared them.

“Hey, how’s it going?” I asked.

“Pretty well,” the skinnier of the two said with a smile. “We are having the weirdest conversation! How about you?”

“Doing pretty well. My toddler’s sick, so these are my few minutes of peace today.”

“Aw,” the skinny one said sympathetically. “I hope he feels better soon!”

“Thanks!” I said as I moseyed past them. “I hope your conversation gets, um, less weird? Or is at least pleasing if it stays weird!”

Both men laughed. I, too, was smiling as my phone beeped yet again. I extracted it from my purse and saw it was another new comment notification from a stranger. I tried to recall what comments I’d posted on blog buddies’ journals recently to lead these folks to me but drew a blank. I returned my phone to my purse and tried focusing on my book for the ninety seconds remaining on my walk.

My phone beeped again twice in that short window back to the apartment. “What the?” I wondered, my book forgotten.

Back in the apartment, I went straight to Sancho the Second, my trusty iMac. I checked my blog’s site stats page. “How the heck do I have 87 hits already?” I mused. “Wait . . . could it be . . . ?!”

I was in the middle of waiting for wordpress.com to load when I got a comment congratulating me on being Freshly Pressed.

Hellz yes!” I shouted. I ran back to the bedroom, where Ba.D. was reading to Li’l D.

“Can I get a high five?! No, wait! I need a high ten!”

Ba.D. assented, then gave me another high ten when one proved unsatisfactory. “What the heck am I giving you ten for?”

I wasn’t ready to answer yet. I ran around the bedroom whooping and hollering, which led even my feverish son to giggle and shriek with delight.

After I’d mostly gotten it out of my system, I went back to the living room, calling back to Ba.D. an explanation of what it meant to be  Freshly Pressed. “Congrats!” he hollered at me while our son continued to giggle at his crazy mom’s antics.

I refreshed the page and oohed to see 87 hits had turned into 150, just that quickly. My son ran up to me, still giggling at all the excitement, and threw open his arms for me to pick him up.

It was a little while longer before I’d calmed down from the high of realizing I’d been Freshly Pressed. After I had mellowed, I reflected aloud to Ba.D., “You know what’s funny? That was a ‘filler’ post. I didn’t want to have two totally serious posts back to back, so I typed that one up in twenty minutes, all the while planning my Very Serious Post about the importance of kind words . . . and apologies.” Since I posted my humorous reflections on road rage alternatives (Road rage takes a spill! (or: “How parenting is making me a better driver”), I’d meant to follow it up with a more contemplative second part. On Monday morning, I’d finally found my path to those words, but I wanted to delay them a little lest folks mistake me for the 100% cactus* I used to be.

Perhaps the lesson in all this is that a little levity pays. Sure, it’s good to be thoughtful and to practice shaping the world into a better place with kind, gentle words. Occasionally, though? It’s good to say something silly, and rejoice in all the interesting people you might never have encountered but for that silliness!

* Back in college, I was very briefly a Tri-Delt. In one evening of “fun and” games, I was unanimously and probably not wrongly voted the sister most like a cactus. I’ve gotten a lot less prickly since.

1. Barbara @ Just Another Manic Mommy
    May 11, 2011 at 9:42 am

congratulations! I never knew what freshly pressed even meant until my eventful day! And like you, it was for a post that I wrote quickly (and in my case, blindly). Enjoy your moment!

• May 11, 2011 at 7:43 pm

I’ve been following Freshly Pressed about half the week the last month or so. (I mean to check every day, but . . . not such a high success rate there!)

I definitely enjoyed the moment and am definitely enjoying the comparative quiet that seems to be returning in its wake. 😀

2. May 11, 2011 at 10:03 am

I don’t know what Freshly Pressed is, but I’m guessing your post got shared somewhere that draws in new readers? That’s so awesome!

• May 11, 2011 at 7:45 pm

You’re absolutely correct! The folks at WordPress select a handful of blog entries as their “Freshly Pressed” blog entries each weekday. Mine was one of those selected yesterday, which meant that my typical 100-hit day was replaced by a 2,500-hit day. o.O I still haven’t caught up on comments, or visiting folks’ blogs!

3. May 11, 2011 at 10:04 am

I really loved that post. I still have pictures in my mind of people blindly wandering the streets. Kinda like zombies. Different from zombies because I don’t know that zombies even WANT to read.

• May 11, 2011 at 7:49 pm

Tee-hee! This comment is a gift that keeps giving. I love zombies and I love Freshly Pressed, but I’m not sure the combination is my favorite. 😀

4. May 11, 2011 at 10:11 am

So funny, I saw FP and a post about reading and walking and thought I’ve just commented on a post about the same thing then my brain kicked in and I realised it was you! Yay congrats 🙂 I love that it wad a fun filler post, good things happen when you least expect it!

• May 11, 2011 at 7:51 pm

Thanks! And you’re so right about good things happening when you least expect it. I actually wrote a few entries going, “This is gonna be it! Really it is! I can feel it!” Then of course it’s the one I do without any special aspirations. Perhaps that made it more honest? In any case, it was hecka fun!

5. May 11, 2011 at 10:31 am

Congrats! I have no idea how one gets Freshly Pressed (sounds painful) but congrats!

• May 11, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Thanks 🙂 I’m not sure about the exact process, either! My friend Mackenzie sent me a link about five criteria to help you get Freshly Pressed, but . . . it’s all very mysterious, and by the time you receive a notification letter, you’ve already gotten 50 comments!

6. May 11, 2011 at 10:35 am

Congratulations on being Freshly Pressed! I love your telling of how you found out. Especially your little toddler giggling up at you as you danced around the house. What a great story.

• May 11, 2011 at 7:55 pm

Thanks! It was so adorable how hyper Li’l D got about everything. I think if I’m having a gloomy morning some day in the future, I’m going to find something to get that happy about again . . . just so I can revel in his delight at that!

I wonder about those guys on the porch. Would I have remembered that exchange any other morning? I’m glad it happened as it did, because those guys had already made my morning happy. 🙂

7. May 11, 2011 at 10:50 am

Congratulations. I think it’s hilarious that your computer is named Sancho. My dog is named Sancho.

• May 11, 2011 at 7:57 pm

How’d you come by his name? Mine was named that after a character in a Trey Parker/Matt Stone movie, though I can’t for the life of me recall why!

8. May 11, 2011 at 11:37 am

I always figured you had to apply to be freshly pressed or something – congratulations on the new readers – I absolutely LOVE finding my way to new audiences 🙂

• May 11, 2011 at 8:01 pm

Definitely no application! It was awesome to get a little new exposure, but I definitely now see the merits of slow and steady exposure by commenting on other folks’ blogs 😀

9. May 11, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Congrats again! Glad you’re pleased!

10. May 11, 2011 at 1:23 pm

I’m glad you were freshly pressed because it introduced me to your cool and clean writing style. xoxo

11. May 11, 2011 at 2:12 pm

My daughter’s Mac is named Fred. What’s with naming Macs? I guess it’s because they cost nearly as much as buying a whole human toddler! How’s your toddler feeling? Congrats again to you! Love the blond pic!

• May 11, 2011 at 8:06 pm

I’ve named a few inanimate objects. I think Sancho the first started it, following which I named my car Pinky Sylvanas. I decided naming inanimate objects was too time-consuming after that, but Sancho the Second is just carrying the torch. 😉

Li’l D is doing much better today! His doc said the problem isn’t ear-related, which makes me really happy since she suggested “ear tubes” would be a discussion topic if his ears were still looking bad by mid-May. Phew! Just as I started typing that, he started hacking these horrific coughs in his sleep. Ugh! The fever is gone, though . . .

When I showed my officemate that pic, he just said, “Um, wow, Deb? You make a really beautiful brunette.”

12. Monica
    May 11, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Yay, Deb!

13. May 11, 2011 at 9:28 pm

I love your freshly pressed dance pressed fresh from your soul 🙂

• May 11, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Thanks! I feel a little bit silly about it today, but hoo-boy! I was possibly even more excited than when my sister informed me–while I was penniless and forlorn in a computer room in South Korea–that I’d been accepted to UCLAw. Something about that seems wrong. Hmm! :p

14. May 12, 2011 at 12:04 am

You deserve it! And all this when actually doing the “read walk” 🙂

15. May 12, 2011 at 5:45 am

Congratulations, Girlfriend!! I’d be tickled to death too. It means you’ve been ‘recognized’. Cool, huh?
    Hey, just looooove the pic! Ha..ha.. Reminds me of when I was young and used to throw a long white towel over my head and pretend I was Rapunzel. (God, I can’t believe I just admitted that. Too embarrassing.) Again, “Good for you!”

• May 12, 2011 at 5:55 pm

It is nice to be recognized by a few more people, but I have to say, it’s not so bad being recognized by a small circle of awesome people!

Tee-hee @ “Rapunzel”! The story I’m working on involves (very un-Ariel) mermaids, which got me to thinking a few days ago how my just-younger sister and I used to press our feet together while swimming and call ourselves mermaids. I loved the dream, and remembering it now makes me happy.

I was trying to find another crazy pic when I happened across that one and went, “Nope! That’s it!” It was a wig one of my law school roommates got for his Halloween costume. Of course, the girls had to try it on too. I’m glad law school itself is over, but I miss the moments outside the school itself!

16. May 12, 2011 at 6:34 am

another wonderful post–especially enjoyed the tip on levity and “the happy dance” moment…hope to one day have a happy dance of my own thanks to WordPress!

• May 12, 2011 at 5:58 pm

I hope you’ll get to experience it as well! I’m still trying to tell myself the awesome last week or so isn’t lead up to something really tragic. Sometimes it’s just going to be good, and there’s no use looking for the “uh-oh” around the corner . . . right?

I think my mom would be happy to know about that reflection on levity. I was always so serious compared to her. I’ve found a lot more levity over the intervening years, and am especially pleased to report I now resort to using her karate chickens to cheer up my little one when he’s grumpy. More levity, less mortification–increasingly prevalent ingredients of my present-day life!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

17. May 12, 2011 at 6:49 am

Congrats. 🙂

• May 12, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Thanks! I’m finally starting to calm down. OK, well, I’m actually trying to hold off posting tomorrow’s entry right now because schedules really help keep me in check, but I’m starting to calm down from the FP bit. 0:)

18. May 12, 2011 at 10:03 am

Congrats!
    I also really have no idea what that is, even though I’m on WordPress, but I’m doing a happy dance for you anyway 🙂

To be honest, all the comments would probably stress me out and cause me to go postal with my OCD, but it could be fun stress if a few new fun blogs were discovered (such as this one, after you commented on my post.) Now I’m hooked and you’re famous!

• May 12, 2011 at 6:08 pm

I have to admit the excitement of all those comments quickly turned to fear: “Oh, shoot! I’ve got to reply to each of these comments and check out the different blogs!” This ended up being a delightful endeavor, but from the front end, it was a little daunting. 🙂

I’m happy to have found some really awesome blogs to follow. And I’m tickled, too, by your comment implying my blog is fun (which I like much more than being told my blog is like a kick in the junk, tee-hee) . . . and the delightful sentence following it! “Famous” on a very small scale, but I ❤ the "hooked" part.

Also? A ditto on that last part! (I hope the fact I'm listening to Baby Signing Time as I type this isn't making this comment too special. If so, my apologies. Ahem.)

19. May 12, 2011 at 11:53 am

Nice post. I too know the excitement of being notified of a blog comment. It’s only Thursday and this week I’ve already received a visit to my blog – and a comment too! – from you!

I had one visit last week too, but it was from my mom, so your visit was better.

• May 12, 2011 at 6:10 pm

Thanks for (a) stopping by and (b) the chuckle! I have a very hard time believing I’m the only visit to your site this week. In fact, I’d say . . . if I believed that, you should also be prepared to believe my name is Angelina. 🙂

20. May 12, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Well done!! I’m so happy for you! I “know” somebody famous now 😀

• May 12, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Thank you! *giggle* “Famous” on a very, very small scale, perhaps! (Ba.D. works with actually famous people, so I have to say this kind is much preferable to me!)

I am so delighted that it took me exactly the length of one Baby Signing Time DVD to respond to comments! *cheer*

• May 12, 2011 at 6:14 pm

That is not to say it’s a chore, by the way! I love it, but I love getting things wrapped up in one sitting whenever possible. It’s very seldom possible, so I must rejoice in it whenever it does happen!

• May 13, 2011 at 6:30 am

It’s definitely a good idea to do it all in one go! 🙂

21. May 12, 2011 at 6:33 pm

Love hearing about your FP Day. And, thank you for visiting me and commenting. Made my day. High FIVE!

• May 12, 2011 at 8:11 pm

Thanks for stopping by here and commenting! Your high five comment flew right over my head when I glanced at it fifteen minutes ago, so that I just reread it now and laughed aloud. 😀

Suffice it to say I’m glad all my mental heavy lifting is done for the evening. Now it’s time to browse through WordPress a little while catching up on my Hulu. Just the way I like it, that. Mmm.

• May 13, 2011 at 5:38 am

Ha…ha…we have to slow down when we read. The other day I commented on a Mother’s Day article entitled “From a Greatful Dad”, and me being a 60’s, 70’s child read “…Greatful Dead” Needless to say I haven’t heard back although I tried to use “levity” in my response.

22. Melinda
    May 13, 2011 at 4:39 am

Congrats!! Gotta love you are not only entertaining readers but two guys hanging out on a porch as well. 🙂

• May 13, 2011 at 9:03 am

Thanks! 😀 I really hope I run into those guys again, so I can tell them just how much their random cheer brightened my morning. I was seriously beaming even apart from the Freshly Pressed bit!

23. May 13, 2011 at 9:46 am

This shows you are lucky. You walk and read and your FP is ‘freshly pressed’. I walk and read, and my FP is a ‘face plant’ into a light pole. 🙂

Having no idea what freshly pressed was before finishing this post, I honestly thought you were gonna say those guys were commenting on your article – which also would have been cool!

• May 14, 2011 at 5:51 am

I walk and read, and my FP is a ‘face plant’ into a light pole.
      Tee-hee! I prefer my FP variation, if those are the options!

If those guys had commented on the article, I might have done my own “face plant” style FP in shock, both at the underlying news and being informed of it by strangers! I love that kind of thing in movies, but I tend to get a little more creeped out IRL. :p

24. May 17, 2011 at 12:53 am

Congratulations again and I love that photo of you above! The family reaction made me laugh again! 🙂

• May 17, 2011 at 9:05 pm

Thanks for the congrats! I’m glad this brought you some laughter 🙂 I actually reread it after I got your comment and found myself giggling anew. If only I had a picture capturing Li’l D’s excitement!

1. July 19, 2011 at 5:13 am