Home > Books, Personal, Silly > Reading While Walking

Reading While Walking

Not ready for readwalking in an outdoor setting

If you’ve ever seen someone reading while walking (“readwalking”), you might’ve made any number of reasonable assumptions:

• They’re reading a really good book
  • They’re probably lacking a little in safety consciousness
  • They spend a lot of time walking every day and have realized that reading while walking maximizes their reading time
  • They spend a lot of time taking care of day-to-day life and realized that reading while walking (the dog) maximizes their reading time

Most of the folks who’ve approached me about my readwalking habit have assumed there’s a direct correlation between the awesomeness of a book and my readwalking: “Wow, that must be a fantabulous book!” Numerous times in my youth, I’d smile and reply, “No, this book is actually pretty awful. I hope the next one’s better!” Then I’d bury my nose in my book and continue on my merry way.

In other words, in my youth, there was very little correlation between the awesomeness of a book and the fact I was readwalking.

Now that I’m an octogenarian, you’re less apt to see me reading a book I’d deem “awful.” There’s definitely a clearer correlation between me liking a book and readwalking, but it’s not a causal one. Instead, it’s a reflection of the fact I spend about fourteen hours a day engaged in working, driving or caring for my (delightful) little one. If you see me readwalking these days, you can assume the book I’m reading is captivating because I wouldn’t waste scarce reading time on anything else.

With time, a reader becomes skilled in the art of checking for traffic, obstacles and other external bars to readwalking, performing these split-second checks without even being conscious of them. A skilled readwalker might occasionally experience readwalking hiccups, such as eating a mouthful of leaves or realizing they’re on the opposite side of a busy street from where they performed their last check.

Such incidents become rarer with practice, which is why an unskilled readwalker should practice the art only in small bursts on empty walkways.

These days, if you see me wandering the streets in half-darkness, leash (hopefully still affixed to a dog) in one hand and book in the other, you’d probably be right to assume the book in my hand is a good one. Still, you shouldn’t necessarily rush down to your local bookseller to buy that book.

As is true of a book’s cover, you can’t necessarily judge a book by its readwalker!

1. May 9, 2011 at 11:01 am

I have to day I’m not fond of read walkers on the tube as they walk too slowly and hold people up but I’ll allow you in the park with your dog 🙂 knowing how clumsy I’m am I’d fall over if I tried!

• May 9, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Oh, goodness! It shouldn’t surprise me to hear folks do that, but it does! I try not to readwalk in close quarters for exactly that reason.

This is a very, very rare instance where my clumsiness doesn’t interfere. Actually, it’s possible that this is why I’m so quick to catch myself when I stumble anymore . . . with or without book in hand!

2. May 9, 2011 at 11:09 am

I’ve become an audiobook addict . . . it’s the only way I can readwalk and not walk into things (not that I don’t always succeed).

I take my dogs for a walk impossibly early in the morning, so I check my email as I go, and let’s just say that I’ve introduced myself to many a branch at 4 in the morning.

• May 9, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Ba.D. is a total audiobook addict! His 60- to 90-minute drives would be much, much more painful but for all the Star Wars audiobooks he’s been listening to for the last year or so.

I mean . . . not Star Wars . . . other stuff. 0:)

I like the way you describe those branch encounters. It sounds very amicable and almost intentional when you put it like that. Heh.

• May 10, 2011 at 3:10 pm

“I like the way you describe those branch encounters. It sounds very amicable and almost intentional when you put it like that.” Heehee. Yes!

3. May 9, 2011 at 11:26 am

Hilarious. Gives me a new meaning to ‘facebook’!

4. May 9, 2011 at 11:36 am

I don’t think I saw any read walkers for years, unless they are young girls (8-13 years old).
    I used to do that though even in the college.

• May 9, 2011 at 8:54 pm

I wasn’t doing it much in the couple of years before I had my son. That might have been due in part to the fact I had a car and a walking buddy in my ex.

After I had Li’l D, the only moments I could get enough quiet to focus on reading were while walking. This is not coincidentally why some neighbors got a piece of my mind when they snapped at “Library Girl,” not understanding how very tired I was and how very much of a mistake it was to disturb my limited reading time!

Since the early weeks of my son’s life, I’ve gotten a lot more sane and found a little more time to read. Fortunately!

5. May 9, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Oh, I love this!! I’ve been readwalking all of my life, but now restrict my readwalking to inside of my house due to my clumsiness! Just promise me you’ll never readdrive! 🙂

• May 9, 2011 at 8:56 pm

*giggle* One of the guys at my mom’s old church actually told Rache and me, “I fear the day you girls learn to drive.” I know I’ve only read a couple of pages while in the driver’s seat, and then while the car was at a full standstill and I was waiting on someone.

It’s a good thing I waited until I was 25 to get my driver’s license! I might not have had enough sense to refrain if I’d gotten it in my teen years. 😀

• May 9, 2011 at 8:58 pm

This is not, by the way, a statement that all or even most teens would have been at risk of this! This is purely a statement about me as a teen. Because, like I was ever so fond of telling my mom, I was SO wise and I totally didn’t have anything to learn from anyone else. (Oy vey.)

6. May 9, 2011 at 3:36 pm

Readwalking might be dangerous, but I must say it is respectable. However, I have been caught textwalking and that is dangerous and not respectable! While I feel compelled to follow up with phone media while walking, I am not proud of it! You can never “not be” proud of reading–wherever/whenever.
    Btw, I won’t rush to buy it, but what are you reading?

• May 9, 2011 at 9:01 pm

I must confess to having done a little textwalking myself, usually in cases where I’m running late. I try to keep it to a minimum!

The book I was looking at for my “noob” example was the only not-work book I had at the office, An Introduction to Shabbat by Ruth Perelson. The book I was actually reading as of this morning was Michelle Cooper’s The FitzOsbornes in Exile. I’ve finished it now, which is a bummer since it’s probably going to be another few years until the next book is out! *shakes fist at universe*

It was actually reading that book en route for coffee that got me thinking about readwalking. 😀

7. May 9, 2011 at 3:45 pm

They should market a helmet with a light attached just for these people!

• May 9, 2011 at 9:04 pm

I’d benefit from that! If a book is compelling enough, I’ll occasionally stretch out a walk till there’s very little natural light left in the sky. A special helmet (preferably of the invisible variety) would be a nice light supplement for the evenings where I’ve wandered a little too far from home to read the whole way back by natural light.

The more I type, the more all of this sounds like A Problem. Heh.

8. May 9, 2011 at 4:34 pm

i do that too, but not in public. if i walked more around my neighborhood i’d probably start. i treadmill-ipad =)

• May 9, 2011 at 9:07 pm

“Treadmill-ipad” made me chuckle; right now, Ba.D.’s life is “[everything]-ipad”–I only wish I were kidding! The good news about that is it makes me feel a little better about my laptop time. 0:)

The plan when he got the iPad was that I’d be able to use it for Hulu and such. Possibly a little reading. Then he got it and it was twue wuv. Heh.

So it’s me and the print books, crusin’ around with my dog! The good thing about that is it’s a connection to younger me, which is kinda nice despite the fact I was heinous back then!

• May 10, 2011 at 3:15 pm

I don’t like reading on screens that much. Good ol’ print ooks for me!

9. May 9, 2011 at 8:45 pm

i catch myself doing that all the time too! then i remember how a girl in the same grade as me in middle school fell down the stairs and broke her leg because she was reading and walking at the same time…she still does it as a senior in high school. It can be quite a timesave though lol

• May 9, 2011 at 9:10 pm

Yikes! (Talk about being committed, though!) My siblings were the only folks around me who did the readwalking thing, and we never had anything more than an occasional bump or bruise to show for it. I might have reconsidered if we’d seen broken anything as a result!

It is a huge timesave. During finals weeks in law school, I remember cruising back and forth between the main library and law library with my nose in books. Those extra minutes each way helped me get hours of extra studying in!

10. May 10, 2011 at 5:50 am

I’m a readwalker–but only in my house and around my yard! I’m too much of klutz to attempt to venture farther than that. My house is dangerous enough as it is–steep stairs to fall down, toys to trip over, tree roots and rocks to stumble upon… I’ll never quit, though. It’s definitely about maximizing time for me. I also read when I eat, when I brush my teeth, as I cook, as I blow dry my hair… If reading is possible in any given situation, I do it!

• May 10, 2011 at 1:25 pm

That’s how it is around here, as well! It sounds like I’m not quite as dedicated as you, but if a book’s really good, I’ll read it through every possible task. (I was going to phrase that another way, but it ended up coming out not quite as intended. *cough*)

11. May 10, 2011 at 6:15 am

Hi Deborah –

Hahaha…love the humor tossed in there and love the post. I have tried to read while strutting on a treadmill. I cannot keep my eyes focused on the lines of the magazine. I’m not sure if I’m just dorky or lacking in coordination, but lots of other people are doing it and doing it well I assume.

I see the same people at the gym reading while doing the elliptical, stationary bike, and treadmill. Another observation of mine is that most are female and moms. More amazing is that some are so talented that they can take a phone call and if you notice, although their reading slows down, they still flip a page while talking and moving. They really are reading too.

I can’t focus on a simple yahoo news article online when the guy is cutting the grass next store. Moms are amazing!!! 🙂

I smell your new blog coming soon with action video links provided. “Bikini moms reading in motion: How do they do it?” 😛 hahaha 🙂

• May 10, 2011 at 1:43 pm

Reading, moving and talking on the phone is definitely too much for me to manage! Even the thought makes me boggle.

Everything about your comment makes me smile and/or giggle. Thanks for that 🙂

• May 11, 2011 at 11:00 am

Seriously Deborah. I am so coordinated with sports…it’s all natural for me. But on the other hand, I’m the dork who walks into closed sliding glass doors, sees the huge puddle in front of but becomes distracted, stepping in to it anyway…and the idiot who flips a loaded slice of peanut butter bread onto the counter top! Try getting that off without shredding the bread lol. Cya 🙂

12. May 10, 2011 at 6:52 am

I can’t do this. I think I might be too stupid. I become too distracted by where I’m walking and what I might be running into, that I lose focus on the book, which then bothers me. Guess I’ll have to find some other way to burn calories.

• May 10, 2011 at 1:45 pm

I don’t think it has anything to do with intellect! (If it did, in fact, I might never have gotten into this habit. Ahem.)

I do like what someone further below said: I do enjoy readwalking, but curling up with a novel is best! (The downside is that I then tend to drift to sleep, because it’s just so cozy . . .)

13. Jess Witkins
    May 10, 2011 at 7:19 am

When texting first got really popular, there were news articles out about the increase in accidents because people were walking and texting! Apparently, society trips, falls, and bumps into things a lot more. I think your readwalking could fall under similar perils without your expertise in the practice. lol.

• May 10, 2011 at 1:49 pm

I definitely agree! I think I’d be a lot more reluctant to start now. When I actually did find myself on the opposite side of a busy street many years ago, I was 15 and just went, “Hmm, good thing those drivers were mindful of me!” I wouldn’t have quite that response now, if I made it to the other side!

Of course, this now makes me think of horrible cross-the-road jokes . . .

14. May 10, 2011 at 7:21 am

My luck, I’d become so engrossed in a scene that I would stop walking – no doubt while crossing a busy road.

• May 10, 2011 at 1:51 pm

There actually have been a couple of times I’ve been so stunned by something on the page that I stopped walking. That’s not happened while crossing the street yet, fortunately! (I do make a point to keep my eyes on the road during street crossings.)

15. May 10, 2011 at 7:33 am

I’m not sure which is more dangerous in an underground subway, a “readwalker” or “newspaper walker”. I’m thinking the newspaper walker because they have a larger item blocking their visibility…which makes it more likely they will smack right into you! 🙂

Great post!

• May 10, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Oh, goodness! I’ve never seen a newspaper walker, but that is a terrifying thought! I have a hard enough time managing the newspaper over the kitchen table, I shudder to think what it’d be like doing it on the go.

Thanks 🙂

16. May 10, 2011 at 7:34 am

What a fun post! And congrats on FP-ed. Hope you can keep walking while reading all of these comments. This will be the real test of your readwalking skill.
    Kathys

• May 10, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Thanks! I don’t think I read any of these comments on the go, tho’ (a) this comment made me chuckle and (b) I did read a fair number while waiting for my son to be seen by the pediatrician!

17. May 10, 2011 at 7:36 am

I can Readwalk, but I haven’t gotten to the point where I can fully pay attention to the book. Must practice! 😉

18. May 10, 2011 at 7:45 am

Be careful with the door infrooooooooooooooooooont 🙂

19. May 10, 2011 at 7:46 am

I can see the future now. Words on a screen in front of your eyes with special goggles, yet they allow the view in front of you to backlight the words. The future of readwalking safely. ;P. (Hugs)Indigo

• May 10, 2011 at 1:56 pm

I would really, really love for someone to invent such a thing, preferably in the next couple of months! If they could have built-in pepper spray dispensable with 360-degree access, that’d make them an even better safety enhancer. (Pretty please?) *hugs*

20. May 10, 2011 at 7:49 am

That picture is a riot!

21. May 10, 2011 at 7:50 am

I’m with John, I go for audiobooks these days… and some of the Doctor Who ones have the added bonus of being read by lovely people like David Tennant or Russell Tovey, so I’m all for them. 😀 Audiobooks are actually a great way for me to motivate myself to run the dog… I have a rule restricting my audiobook listening to when I’m out exercising. So if I ever want to listen to that new Doctor Who audio (read by Matt Smith, yeeeeeah!) I’d better get the leash out and get my Fivefingers on and get ready to pound some pavement.

My only real readwalking experience was in junior high (I was totally reading a book about how to hunt ghosts man, it was interesting stuff :D), I readwalked my way all the way home from school (which was quite a long walk), and then realized I really remembered nothing of the journey and though I’d very deftly maneuvered my way through traffic, it probably wasn’t a good idea to do it again. 😀

And in other news, you got FPed! *Puts on shades David Caruso-style* YEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAHHH!

• May 10, 2011 at 2:00 pm

That is an excellent motivational tool! I need to do something like that for my stretching, or I’m going to keep not doing it . . . leading to me battling plantar fasciitis for much longer than need be!

Hear, hear to getting FP’d! It’s funny because I was actually out readwalking (Bumped by Megan McCafferty) when two guys chatting on a porch interrupted me to say good morning. I had a nice exchange with them, then heard my phone beep. Then beep again. I went, “Wow, someone must really have liked a comment I left somewhere!” Not so, my friend. Not so!

I look forward to your feeling the goodness of this. 🙂 But more than that? To hugs!

22. Summer
    May 10, 2011 at 7:51 am

Loool!! i really liked the last line.. I have never read another readwalker.. I don’t it sometimes just to do some sort of exercise and not waste my time sitting!

• May 10, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Hear that! When I was in Japan, if it was stormy outside I’d pace through my apartment with a book in hand to meet my need to move . . . without simply pacing back and forth purposelessly.

23. May 10, 2011 at 7:52 am

you don’t look like an octogenarian. I tried read-walking a couple of times but can’t just walk straight or read straight :/

• May 10, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Definitely not an octogenarian, tho’ I’d love to be one someday! That was just meant as a silly contrast to the fact I kept mentioning my days of youth in the prior paragraph. At 32, those days of youth aren’t so far past!

24. May 10, 2011 at 7:56 am

Awesome. I did too much readwalking in college, so now I have an aversion to it. Perhaps later in life?

Fun post — perfect picture! 🙂

• May 10, 2011 at 2:06 pm

This reminds me of talking to my doctor! She’ll come in to find my reading, shudder and say, “You will not find me doing that for fun!” Apparently reading becomes a little less leisurely on the other side of med school :p

25. May 10, 2011 at 8:02 am

I learned to readwalk by reading an archie comic book while following my parents around the grocery store. Its a great skill to have, as you well know!

• May 10, 2011 at 2:07 pm

ARCHIE! It’s been so long since I read those comics! The reference makes me recall so many visits to my childhood best friend’s house. I don’t think I ever read that in the grocery store, though; I was too busy bugging my mom for treats. *cough*

26. May 10, 2011 at 8:02 am

As a fellow reader I totally got this. I agree with an earlier comment that e-reading is somehow more respectable than e-texting. (Although I guess it depends what you’re reading.) What’s your take on doing this with an e-reader though? I’m still not sure about them as I wrote in a recent post: http://middleofthefreakinroad.com/2011/04/21/ereaders-ebooks-comparison-kindle-nook-ipad/

• May 10, 2011 at 2:09 pm

I could see doing it with an e-reader, although I only made it through one dog-walking session reading Pride & Prejudice on my phone. After so many years of connecting the experience to the printed page, it feels a little awkward to me. That’s not to say I won’t ever give it a try again, but . . . it will probably be a little while!

27. May 10, 2011 at 8:09 am

I have always been a reader and a walker but never thought to mix the two until I started working with someone who was a skilled readwalker. Every day we would both take off our heels and slip on our walking shoes to go for a walk during our lunch break and while I picked up my MP3 she would pick up her book. She saw me with a book everyday and one day asked why I didn’t just read while I walked. My reply to her was ‘I can’t.’ The look she gave me after I said that made me start and now I am just as skilled as she is I am sure. I dodge puddles, cars, branches, and people all while face deep in the book of the moment, regardless of how great the story is. 🙂
    Great post!!

• May 10, 2011 at 2:11 pm

The look she gave me after I said that made me start
      This made me laugh! I’m not sure what her face looked like, exactly, but I picture my S.O.’s face when I say something he finds ridiculous.

Thanks both for reading and sharing your path to readwalking!

28. May 10, 2011 at 8:12 am

I think I’m a readwalking noob… I even live in the wide open spaces of country life, but it never fails that I would walk into a tree or pothold in the ground.

• May 10, 2011 at 2:12 pm

It’s not bad to be a noob! Everyone starts somewhere, and I’m pretty certain my early days of readwalking weren’t especially graceful. 🙂

29. Jane
    May 10, 2011 at 8:27 am

It’s all about peripheral vision, noobs. That and practice. ; )

30. May 10, 2011 at 8:29 am

Oh my goodness I have to comment again – congrats on being Freshly Pressed! I feel so proud that I had commented before knowing this 🙂 Very funny post, well done.

• May 10, 2011 at 2:15 pm

I’m glad you commented before, and love that you’re commenting again now! I have to admit I was a bit crazy after I realized I was FP’d this morning. The good news about that is that my son, who’s a little sick right now, giggled at my celebratory shenanigans. Heh. Thank you for reading my blog, before today and today!

31. May 10, 2011 at 8:31 am

I can’t do two things like read and walk…at the same time! Super funny post. Congrats on Freshly Pressed.

• May 10, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Thanks 🙂

I’m definitely not as good at multi-tasking as many of my friends. Reading and walking is one arena where practice has helped, but I start feeling harried when I’m required to do two things at a time and one of them isn’t reading.

Being a mom has helped improve that, but only a little!

32. Briel K.
    May 10, 2011 at 8:32 am

I still do a little read walking! Mostly here at work while I’m on my break or coming back from a break. Fun entry Deb! 🙂

• May 10, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Thanks, B! I think I’ve even seen you do a little readwalking, although I can’t exactly place when. Maybe in your old apartment? ❤

33. May 10, 2011 at 8:33 am

Congrats on being Freshly Pressed. I enjoyed your post. I’m not a readwalker myself, it makes me just too oblivious to the outside world. I’m bound to get run over. I do walk with audiobooks often though – around the block with the dog, doing chores in the house. I just wish my MP3 player would plug in to my car stereo.

• Liz
      May 10, 2011 at 8:50 am

Hi Carol! I have one of these for my car and if you have an audio input it works GREAT!
      I have also used the ones that are corded to a cassette and where you feed it through a radio adapter and had a lot of issues with them not working the way they should.

34. May 10, 2011 at 8:49 am

You don’t look eighty to me.

Crystal

35. May 10, 2011 at 8:56 am

Congrats on being FP!! AWESOME!!!

• May 10, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Thanks! I’m trying not to feel apprehensive about it, actually. I went into this day going, “Man, the last few days have been great!” then spent several minutes rejoicing being FP . . . before going, “Wait, if everything balances out, that means I’m SOL at some point!” Trying to be a little more optimistic 😉

36. May 10, 2011 at 8:57 am

I think I practiced this only when I “had to” in college…going over notes before a test. I never had an accident…but then that might have been the perfect excuse to buy more time.

• May 10, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Perfect excuse indeed! 🙂

I did do a lot of this during law school, but it wasn’t nearly as enjoyable as the other sort. I know, I know–how could law school reading not be fun?!

37. May 10, 2011 at 9:13 am

I have been thinking about readwalking a lot lately. I read while on the bus, and sometimes I get to my stop only to be at an important part of the book. I just don’t want to put it down. I have considered readwalking, but I was wondering if it’s a weird thing to do. You have inspired me! I am doing it!

I have successfully played Price is Right on my iPad while walking, so readwalking should be a piece of cake… a walk in the park, if you will.

❤ Milieu

• May 10, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Thanks for this comment, which I’d happily have readwalked! I’m looking forward to glancing over at your blog later in the evening, after the little one’s awakened from his nap, tired himself out again and gone back to bed.

38. theveryhungrybookworm
    May 10, 2011 at 9:20 am

hahaha…I am also a readwalker and have highly developed peripheral vision as a result! Sometimes there are books you literally cannot put down!

• May 10, 2011 at 2:24 pm

That highly developed peripheral vision ends up coming in handy for a lot of not-readwalking activities, doesn’t it?!

39. May 10, 2011 at 9:35 am

I readwalk too but not very well as I always seem to bump into things :/ Its on a list of things I really shouldn’t do!

• May 10, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Sometimes I wonder whether I ought not ditch the habit in favor of listening to music. That resolve has never lasted more than a day or two, especially when the book is really good!

40. May 10, 2011 at 9:38 am

Ahh! A real life read-walker! I have naver managed to successfully complete this task and have often wondered… what sort of a book would make someone risk death by breaking neck whilst dodging fellow commuters and navigating the steep stairs of an underground station?

• May 10, 2011 at 2:27 pm

A Brief History of Montmaray might be worth it. Generally, though, I try to avoid readwalking in densely populated/highly obstacle-riddled places!

41. May 10, 2011 at 9:42 am

I have had people tell me “you can’t read and walk at the same time.” And yet, there I was doing just that. Great post.

• May 10, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Thanks! I’ve heard those words before, too. They never fail to make me smile.

Then again, I used to say, “I can’t cook.” I’ve since actually tried 😀

42. May 10, 2011 at 9:55 am

My worst-ever readwalking story cured me of it…

I had surgery scheduled to remove all four wisdom teeth (under general anesthetic in a hospital). I walk in, reading, nervous, and notice the halls are painted with animals in pastel colors….This is my hospital? No….the emergency entrance of two major Toronto hospitals directly face one another and I’d readwalked into the wrong one!

• May 10, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Oy vey! I’d like to say I’ve never had a similar experience . . . but I’d be lying. *cough* Fortunately, it has been a number of years. 🙂

43. cmege
    May 10, 2011 at 10:24 am

I am so relieved to know that I am not a weirdo, or, at least, I am not a lone weirdo! I began readwalking when I was seven or eight, to my mother’s great chagrin. At the time, she was supposed to be clocking me to see how quickly I could walk home from school (in case of an air raid during the Cuban missile crisis). Apparently my incipient multitasking skills were not yet perfected, as my time from school to home was dismally slow (at least, compared to the other children in the class!). I also readwalked into the bathtub for my bath, still partially clad, and subsequently dropped the book (accidentally, of course) into the tub. Unfortunately, the book belonged to the school library. However, my book yearnings were not cured,as I persisted in readwalking to avoid losing the thread of my precious book-of-the-moment. More than once, my mother had to call a neighbor down the street to ask her to come out of her house and nudge me on from a median where I commonly lingered if the plot thickened. However, I could not see the need to take a break from reading. The books were simply too engrossing. Thanks for sharing your story — it delighted me!

• May 10, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Thanks for sharing yours, which was a delight to me! I can assure you you’re not alone, as all four of my mom’s kids (and a handful of friends) livened walks up by reading. 🙂

44. May 10, 2011 at 10:38 am

Oh my, and I thought I was the only one readwalking! But maybe I’m a pretty bad case because when I readwalk, I sometimes do it even for a meaningless article in some random newspaper. Love your article! (Which I read sitting in front of my computer, but maybe iPad-walking will be the next big thing to come for us?).
    Greetings from Switzerland

• May 10, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Thanks! In certain moods, I’ll read just about anything to keep my mind occupied with external “noise,” so I can relate. On the iPad-walking front? My S.O. does a fair deal of that around the house already. Trend-setter? 😉

45. MrPopularSentiment
    May 10, 2011 at 10:59 am

I’m a huge readwalker! My dad once asked me how I was able to readwalk without readwalking right into things. My kidself answered: “I can see around the book, too.”

This is now one of my parents’ “family stories”!

• May 10, 2011 at 2:44 pm

“I can see around the book, too.” I’ve tried explaining this to folks in the past, but I’ve never done so as succinctly as you did then! I suspect I’m going to have to quote this in the future.

• May 10, 2011 at 2:45 pm

I may also have to adopt the word “kidself.” 🙂

• MrPopularSentiment
        May 10, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Have at it! 🙂

46. May 10, 2011 at 11:17 am

hey, these days almost everyone walks while texting or otherwise having their faces buried in their phone screens. so why not walk and read a book? great post! 🙂

47. May 10, 2011 at 11:38 am

I took a course on children’s literature and thus was born my habit of readwalking (or else I’d never get the books done on time). I’ve walked into a few people, but you just have to get the technique of holding-your-book-at-chin-level right so you can see what’s coming your way. Honestly though, if it’s a good book, I just can’t waste precious time walking and not reading when I could be walking and reading something awesome.

• May 10, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Your comment underscores the importance of finding just the right “zone”! I didn’t really think about that while writing, but there’s a very particular zone in which a book must be held to maximize the benefit of peripheral vision.

This!

48. Alive aLwaYs
    May 10, 2011 at 11:41 am

I cannot readwalk, I don’t know why?
    I like to sit in a place, very calm and enjoy reading.
    I had tried readwalking once, but could not concentrate, eventually sat down by the bench, lolzz

49. May 10, 2011 at 11:42 am

Love it! Great post. Readwalking is now on my list of things to try. I’ve always wanted to try a mouthful of leaves, this could be my chance. 🙂 dara

• May 10, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Thanks! Since we’re talking about multitasking, this would be a great way to kill a few birds with one stone 🙂

50. May 10, 2011 at 11:52 am

I have been caught occasionally reading while walking though I’m sure it worries those around me. 🙂 I suppose Audiobooks are a good substitute but its just not the same as reading them yourself! Though of course I am rather fond of Doctor Who audiobooks as they are read by David Tennant and Matt Smith. 🙂

• May 10, 2011 at 2:51 pm

I daresay you are my friend Mack’s kind of people! I’m surprised she hasn’t commented on this yet 😉

• May 10, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Haha oh excellent! I just love reading all the time :)Great post!

Comment pages