Home > Education, Learning, Parenting, Reflections > Homework is stupid and Ms. A is mean

Homework is stupid and Ms. A is mean

“Argh!” I exclaimed in the direction of my four-year-old son’s homework Tuesday evening.

Li’l D looked up at me wide-eyed. “Are you frustrated because I’m doing it wrong?” he asked.

“No, no, sweetie,” I told him while reaching to ruffle his hair. “I’m frustrated that you have homework.”

We had a short but candid conversation about why I dislike homework. I explained that my problem wasn’t with his teacher, Ms. A, or his school’s principal, Miss N, but with the school system for which they’re trying to prepare him.

I believe in open discussion with kids, but there are some risks. In this case, I was pretty sure my son would report some version of the conversation to his teacher. The question was, which one?

Hiding the text of his second note

My son answered my question shortly after we pulled away from his preschool yesterday.

“Do I have to do homework tonight?” he asked.

“Nope. We’re checking out a different school tonight.”

“Oh, okay,” he said. After a moment’s pause, he added, “I told Ms. A you said homework is stupid and she’s mean.”

And there it was: his version of our conversation! “Did you tell her anything else?”

“Nope, that’s it!” he reported cheerfully.

This morning I spotted his teacher on the playground and relayed yesterday evening’s discussion with Li’l D. Li’l D, who usually growls at me when I try removing him from the playground, surprisingly opted to skip playing and instead wrap himself up in my dress this way and that as I talked to Ms. A.

I gave her a more complete overview of my discussion with Li’l D. I explained that we’re considering alternative educational opportunities, and why. The biggest part of this is how Li’l D is starting to see “education” as “obnoxious hoops I have to jump through” instead of “the exciting process of learning about the world,” a change I absolutely do not want to take root.

I’m not interested in pushing him through the “right” preschool to the “right” kindergarten all the way through to the “right” college. I believe emphasizing one “right” path has powerful, hurtful potential to blind children to the prospect of shaping their own individual paths. I want to encourage my son to make his own path, and to find joy in seeking it. I believe that enthusiasm for learning–not hours of worksheets–will be the foundation for his success in life.

When I wrote my popular “What report cards can’t report” post, some commenters expressed concern with teachers. Others believed I was attacking teachers. That was absolutely not my intention, as I explained in this short follow up. I expressed the same to Ms. A this morning, saying I’m grateful she’s been Li’l D’s teacher and that I’ll miss her deeply if we do take him down an alternative educational path.

I stepped away after Ms. A and I wrapped up our heartfelt conversation. Li’l D ran into the school and waved at me through a window. He shouted “I love you!” and made a heart shape with his hands as I have done for him through that exact window for the last many months. I returned his gesture, and then blew him a kiss before wandering away feeling a little discomfited.

Change is hard even when it’s good.

plearning

Li’l D immediately loved the school we visited last night. He spent an hour exploring maybe one-quarter of the classroom before his dad and I were finally able to shuffle his very tired self out the door and toward bed.

If further assessment supports it, Li’l D will soon change schools. He’ll do so because it seems like the best long-term choice for him. It will be right, even if it feels a little wrong to my change-averse self.

I wish I could talk all this through with my mom, who dedicated herself foremost to her children’s education. She was already thinking about college when I, her eldest, was in diapers. Wrote her friend Shannon:

She once told me that with the circumstances you all possessed, you would qualify for aid to any college and any course of study you ever wanted. At the time, my children were so young that I had not even looked that far down the road, but she had.

My mom pushed for my siblings and I to go to schools that would challenge us in right-for-us ways, and successfully fought each of the teachers who tried to get us designated “special needs” because our ways of learning didn’t always fit inside pre-constructed boxes. She was determined to push us out of poverty and into easier living.

I want to ask her, “What’s right here, Mom? What would you do?” I ache that I can’t; she’s been gone for four years. And yet, in the very act of pursuing alternatives, I feel stirrings of my mom inside me. She didn’t know the right answers, either. She did her best to find them with what she had, and I believe time has shown her best worked wonderfully.

I don’t remember any individual discussions my mom had with teachers, though I was there for many of them. What I do remember is the feeling of her advocacy, and the powerful sense it instilled in me that I was worthy of advocacy.

walking toward

When my son started preschool, I told myself to remember:

He is not walking away from me,
but toward who he is meant to be.

Who is he meant to be? I’m not sure, but more so, I’m not sure it’s important I’m sure. What feels much more important is encouraging him to discover and shape that.

I wish there were a pamphlet that would point me the right way for him. There isn’t. So, listening, watching, assessing, and discussing with my husband, I will strive to take comfort in knowing I am doing the best I can with what I have and setting an example–as my mom once did–for my kids to do the same.

Whatever twists and turns lie ahead, my son will also benefit from knowing he is worthy of advocacy . . . yes, even when he tells his teachers Mom says homework is stupid and they’re mean.

1. March 27, 2014 at 11:58 am

When my oldest was in kindergarten, he hated school. He wanted to do math which he was a whiz at, but instead he said all they did was ‘cut and paste’ which given his fine motor skill difficulties wasn’t his strong point. I didn’t blame the teachers–they were doing the best they could with what they had–but I was disheartened to think my son already hated school. That’s when I discovered Montessori, and my kids subsequently went there until middle school. I realize it’s not for everyone, but it was a godsend for my son. He could work at his own pace without being confined to a desk all day. He’s now in high school and had no trouble adjusting to a more traditional school. People sometimes erroneously believe Montessori schools have no structure. They have plenty of structure, but it’s more self-directed.

Good luck with trying to find a good fit for your son. I hope you find something you both love. :) (Homework at age 4? Oh my…)

• March 27, 2014 at 12:12 pm

I emailed you a reply to this comment, but it feels right to say one more “thank you.”

My second child will be here any day now, but I’m hoping s/he’ll wait long enough to get this squared away first! If not, we’ll make do, of course. :D

• March 27, 2014 at 12:45 pm

You’re welcome. I responded to your email. :)

2. March 27, 2014 at 12:03 pm

Well, for a kid as obviously intelligent as yours, I would recommend home schooling. That may not be an option for you, but if it is, you might want to check out some short essays on one lady’s (Marily Howshall) philosophy of what she calls “delight directed learning”. It’s a short series of articles called “Lifestyle of Learning”. If you can get past the religious mumbo-jumbo and her belief that EVERYone should home school (which I do NOT believe), there’s some pretty great stuff in there to glean. Eat the meat and spit out the bones, is what I always say. :)

You can check out more information on this philosophy here: http://www.lifestyleoflearning.org/

I will say that the year we came back to home schooling (after taking 1 year off – eldest daughter was in 3rd grade and youngest in 1st, both had great years in school but wanted to come back home) those books made all the difference! I never thought I would see my 11-yr. old studying Physics on her own! She was checking out videos and books from the library and doing them herself (I seriously couldn’t hope to have helped her with that stuff).

Good luck to you and your family, Deb. I know whatever you decide with be the best course!

• March 27, 2014 at 12:16 pm

My mother-in-law once suggested home schooling. D was very young at that point, and I reacted as if she’d suggested we roast him for lunch. (Oy.)

Maybe a year or so later, I began blogging and started following a couple of parents who home schooled. My perception of home schooling was dramatically altered by what I read in those blogs. Though homeschooling is not an option currently, I admit to (a) being much, much more receptive to the idea now, and (b) hoping my mother-in-law remains an advocate as her retirement nears. ;)

Thank you so much for your encouragement!

• March 27, 2014 at 12:23 pm

You’re quite welcome, Deborah. I’m sure whatever you all decide will be best. I didn’t start home schooling until my daughter began 1st grade. We had a horrible experience in Kindergarten and I had to pull her out midyear and find a church-based program we could barely afford. But it was well worth it!

Those years were hard for us because we were a 1-income family (most of the time, sometimes it was no-income since my husband was self-employed and between jobs – tough when you have a masters degree and still can’t make any dough), but I wouldn’t trade those years for billions of dollars! Nothing changed me like homeschooling, and I have the advantage of knowing that I poured my life into my kids 24-7.

Anyway, just my 2 cents on home schooling. :) Thanks for letting me share.

3. March 27, 2014 at 12:16 pm

I’m a high school English teacher, and unlike many of my colleagues, and in fact many parents, I’m not a fan of homework. The only homework I usually assess is if the student doesn’t finish something in class that they had plenty of time to finish. Or extra reading.
    I know when I was in Canada I saw how much homework my very young cousins were getting and it just seemed ridiculous.
    Good on you for investigating alternative methods for your little one. He is lucky to have a mum who advocates for him and will keep looking until she finds the right fit. Can’t get much better than that!

• March 27, 2014 at 12:31 pm

I briefly taught (using the word in its loosest sense) in South Korea; what I saw there had a pretty profound impact on my perceptions of education and success. My last class of each day was a high school class that ended near midnight. A couple of my students left my class and went to a math academy–every night, including school nights. They explained that this was essential for being routed to the right schools based on how the school system there was shaped. I was deeply saddened by this, and my inability to change anything for them.

It’s a different world here, fortunately, but I feel a discomfiting sense that we’re moving that direction. I would like to do whatever I can to encourage a proliferation of options, and alternative ideas about success, because . . . man, we just don’t have that long to be here, you know? It seems so sad to lose so many precious moments now in bored, disconnected pursuit of something that might someday come to pass.

I am so heartened by your comment, and also by a recent post about homework by another teacher I follow, So Will This Be Graded. Thank you for your encouragement, and your approach to homework!

4. March 27, 2014 at 12:19 pm

Homework in preschool? Is that normal? I can’t imagine…
    I either have a lot to learn before we send the Little Prince off to school or was that more an anomaly than standard practice? Either way, I’m not looking forward to it.

• March 27, 2014 at 12:38 pm

I’m not sure if it’s normal. I meant to look into that further, but months later, have not yet done so!

When D started preschool there last year, I chuckled when I saw that homework was optional; I knew it was an option I would not be taking! I think the sign was meant for the three-year-old class, not for the school, but it didn’t occur to me to clarify.

I debated the homework question the first several weeks it was assigned this school year, deciding I could find a few reasons in support of doing it. But it’s been harder and harder for me to sustain with each passing week, all the more so as I prepare for the arrival of D’s sibling. I think of how little time I have for him after work each evening, and then imagine how that will be diminished when I split the time between two kids. If it were something I felt were vital and useful, that’s one thing. With how I actually feel, it’s another thing all together.

I’d kinda like to reach back through time and assess things differently back in September. Alas, here I am again reminded that a question not fully answered early will expect a full answer at some point!

• March 27, 2014 at 12:55 pm

Lesson learned – always ask questions until you are satisfied you have the full answer. I will definitely need to remember that one when looking into schools for the Little Prince. We don’t live in the best neighborhood, so we will be looking into all of our options, local and not-so-local.

• March 28, 2014 at 6:07 am

Always asking questions until satisfied is likely a wonderful approach in an ideal world. In this one, where I’ve spent nine hours at the office and another 2.5 commuting daily, pregnant and exhausted even apart from all the things I met do at home, the reality is I must focus questions on health and safety first. If there is time and energy for more, fantastic, but the truth is there usually isn’t.

While I made light in my last comment, it’s harder to make light in this one. Reality is limited time and energy resources, and I do not one bit regret making the choices I did then with the resources I had then. I am grateful for a little extra time to revisit these questions now, thanks to leave.

• March 28, 2014 at 7:11 am

We really do need to figure out how to make more time, and energy, might as well while we are at it. ;-)

I hope you are enjoying your leave.

I’m excited for you. That much more love and joy and giggling and silliness in your house…

• March 28, 2014 at 7:14 am

Yes, please, to fighting that out! When leave started, I was anxious about having too much time. Now I look just a few weeks back and think how very, very wrong I had it! :D

I am so excited. There will be a little less time to go around, but the benefits are so much more than worth it!

Happy Friday. :)

• March 28, 2014 at 7:21 am

Happy Friday to you as well. :-D
            The Queen had the same concerns when she went on leave for the Little Prince – what am I going to do with all that extra time.
            I think it took her a week to look around and say – I don’t know how I could have done everything I’m doing and worked too.

5. March 27, 2014 at 12:51 pm

You are doing a great job for your son. You sound like you are too hard on yourself. Your memories of your mom are touching, and it sounds like she succeeded it instilling excellent values in you which you are now instilling in your son and baby to come. Best of luck. You are a great mom.

• March 28, 2014 at 6:11 am

Thank you so much for your kind words. Sometimes I get a little hard on myself, but that is tempered by remembering how much energy doing the same took from my mom. When I see I’m pouring too much into berating myself for things done, I try shifting that into the useful question of: Never mind then, what do I do now? In general, the best I can. In specific? Well, I’m figuring that out now! :)

6. March 27, 2014 at 1:27 pm

Lil’D is a lucky guy that you have his back on this, and the new baby of course too. It’s also great your mom has inspired this kind of thinking in you. I’m with you on this homework issue–I’m shocked he has it at 4 years old! I don’t think my son did, maybe just in 1st. When I was a kid, my mom was the opposite, I constantly heard “you can do better, what’s your deal when my graders weren’t perfect!” in worse terms than that actually, but you get the point…I was always at fault, My son? Since he was 4 they have been telling me something similar to what you mentioned above–about his non-go-with-the-flow learning style, and it being a problem. But like your mom said, it’s more about not being challenged in the right ways and best learning style for him. It shouldn’t be let’s figure out what kind of “special need” he has…..it kills me that they stick kids in school all day. No nature. Sitting. too much work. Everything about the school structure is the opposite of what we know kids need to thrive, but if they don’t fit in, they have a problem…oh, I could rant forever on this. I don’t on my blog because too many people in my town read it! Thanks as always for an interesting topic to think through.

• March 28, 2014 at 6:22 am

I think I first got a little in first, too, which was part of the discussion I had with D! Pushing it earlier is sad, because isn’t the point of that to begin light preparation for later days to come? Moving that preparation earlier not only seems unproductive but counterproductive, taking–in my case–a handful of moments with my son each evening and transforming them from moments of connection to moments of task completion. One will be far more beneficial than the other in the long run, and it’s not the task completion, IMO!

I wish I could have one minute with my mom to tell her how much I draw on her lessons when making my own. She left this world still believing, I think, the horrible things others said about her as a mother. I am so glad for her examples of seeing each if her kids for who we were and trying to build that, and for her love doing so. In light of these memories, loving encouragement, not perfection, is what I seek. :)

And now, the little guy is awake . . . time to connect!

7. March 27, 2014 at 3:43 pm

I appreciate your words more than I can express in a comment. Learning is seldom what well-meaning adults (the public, parents, teachers, administrators, boards, superintendents, government bureaucrats, special interest groups, elected politicians, textbook publishing companies, standardized-testing companies, big corporations, etc.) suppose it is.

In the words of Mark Twain, “Don’t let schooling interfere with your education.” Our education is ultimately up to us. I suspect you know this, as will Li’l D.

I admire your determination to advocate for him to play and wonder and explore and discover, to learn quite naturally. He’s four years old, for Lil’D’s sake!

• April 13, 2014 at 11:37 am

I love that Mark Twain quote, and second your assessment on learning!

Li’l D’s dad and I did end up enrolling him in the new school. Every day he asks us if it’s time for him to go to his new school. The answer so far is “not yet,” but his enthusiasm is hopeful indeed. :)

8. March 27, 2014 at 4:26 pm

As a credentialed teacher, I am absolutely flabbergasted that a preschool teacher would assign homework! I lost my mom 10 years ago and there have been so many times that I would have loved her input. Many years ago, I had to make a very difficult decision to advocate for my son and went against the grain of consistency, which is really a hallmark of my character. When I thought to myself, “What would Mom do?” I knew the answer immediately. She would do what I chose to do. Protecting her grandson would have been her first priority. It really became a “no-brainer” for my husband and me. I am sure you will do the right thing (whatever that is) for your son. I will say that a love of learning is always the most important thing to nurture!

• April 13, 2014 at 11:40 am

It’s really good to have my homework-huh? intuitions confirmed as right on. I wish I’d lent them more credence earlier on, but am glad to have taken another look now. We have signed Li’l D up for the new school, and he’s excited to begin! It made it a little easier knowing, as you describe, my mom would have pushed to find him the right fit for him. Even if that meant change, to which I can sometimes be averse but which can be very, very important!

9. March 27, 2014 at 6:44 pm

A great post. Homework is a strange thing, especially considering the hours kids are already in school. Love how your son reported the conversation to the teacher. My sister and her husband have no secrets from me now, because their five year old’s comments reveal everything they’ve said–of course, from her perspective.

• April 13, 2014 at 11:42 am

I keep thinking of how he reported the conversation! It reminds me how I misunderstood the first few months of his life that he’s an extension of me; once I realized he was his own person with his own take on things, everything was a lot less agonizing. It does mean we get occasional crossed wires like this, but . . . mostly, these make me laugh so far. :)

10. March 27, 2014 at 7:07 pm

You son is very blessed to have a mother willing to step up for him. Good Luck to you guys!

• April 13, 2014 at 11:43 am

Thanks, Kate! We did end up signing him up for the new school, and he’s excited as could be. :D

11. March 28, 2014 at 4:13 am

When I first saw this post my immediate reaction was ‘Homework – 4 year old?’ The system is flawed at its core. You are right to look for the most approraite schooling you can find. My boys had to go through state school in uk, which has many issues attached to it, and they have thrived. But I was keen to show them that school is only part of their day, and that some conformity is necessary some of the time when we live in society. But it also right to question why, and make up their own minds. Good luck. No homework!

• April 13, 2014 at 11:47 am

I love this. I’ve had a few conversations where I’ve explained to my son that there’s good in listening, and following the rules unless they are concerning or create risk. “I didn’t feel like it” is not a good reason. I’ve had to have corresponding conversations with his teachers, where I explain that I can’t advocate his always accepting every edict without question. (So far, no big problems! Happily, he understands nuances better every day.)

I, too, will work to emphasize school is only part of each day. It’s an important part, but in the end, just one part.

12. March 28, 2014 at 7:42 am

Homework in Preschool? Phooey!

You are a great mom to be taking and active interest in your son’s education. So much creativity and potential is educated out of our children that it makes me sad. Welcome to the revolution! Raising children who can think for themselves, have educated at well thought out opinions of their own, and love learning new things will change the world (and your life) forever.

I’m passing this along with some thoughts of my own. Thank you.

• April 13, 2014 at 11:49 am

Exactly! When I stepped back and looked at what I wanted for my son, the answer was not “the ability to write beautifully formed letters at four (or even five).” It’s the ability to think for himself and translate that thought to appropriate action. That will be the source of his future success, no matter which field he chooses to enter. It’s a heartening thought.

13. March 28, 2014 at 8:25 am

My son is also in preschool and has never had homework, fwiw (and I don’t recall the other 2 ever either – other than those obnoxious ‘family projects’ that would get thrust on us).

Your “obnoxious hoops” remark brought to light a conversation I had recently with him. He commented that he didn’t like going to school and when I asked why, he said, “Because I can’t play on my [Nintendo] DS on school days.” We had recently restricted him to weekend-only game playing. I told him that this was a problem because it meant he liked playing on his DS more than he liked seeing his friends and playing and learning new things. He responded, “What if I already know all the stuff they taught today?”

He doesn’t talk about school much so I hadn’t thought about whether he was bored or not. He isn’t as far along as the older two were so it didn’t occur to me that he, too, might not be getting challenged much. It suddenly felt like I wasn’t paying enough attention to him. Maybe he’s not talking about school because there’s nothing exciting going on.

14. March 28, 2014 at 9:46 am

Nicely done. I truly believe we are our children’s best advocates. As a parent you get to see so much more clearly how your little one’s brain works than any teacher ever can. If your child is lucky enough to have a great teacher in school, one who really understands that every child learns differently, then it’ll be a great year, even within the rigid structure of the mainstream school system. Sadly though, those teachers are harder and harder to find in that system. The change from “excited to learn” to “bored to distraction” happens as quickly as flipping a switch and if you aren’t on top of it as a parent then it becomes very hard to flip it back to re-engage your child. I’m walking that line every day.

I believe that you ARE doing the best that you can, *and* that your best will indeed be enough for your family. ♥

15. March 28, 2014 at 11:32 am

I’m very grateful that Maycee had a wonderful foundation in pre-school, with NO homework and lots of emphasis on learning to read-both in pre-school and kinder. Now, being in the public school system, I am grateful that where she is at, the principal and teachers are willing to work with her and give her additional challenges because of her high-learning capabilities. The minute she expressed being “bored” at times during the day, I was in the principal’s office meeting with the teacher to come up with a game plan. Advocacy is the key, no matter if you can change schools or not, and staying vigilant. Best of luck with Lil’ D’s new school and environment! XOXO

16. March 28, 2014 at 4:03 pm

Deborah, I smiled when you referred to being mis-represented to your little man’s teacher, as my son used to do the same thing. He would always draw pictures of his mum and dad with writing ‘ I love my mum and my dad is a pest’. We laughed about this in later years and with the teachers when we asked about how we were mis-represented to them.
    I love the way your thoughts are going to your mum more and more at this special time. It says that spirit survives and empowers in ways we will never understand.B

17. March 28, 2014 at 5:31 pm

Four year-olds should not have homework! I’ll tell Ms. A and Ms. N if you’d like.

18. March 28, 2014 at 8:36 pm

I wonder if ideas on homework aren’t changing. I saw a story on the news a couple of nights ago about a teacher who is having his high school students listen to his lectures on their ipads or computers in the evening, then doing the actual worksheets in class where the teacher can help them and discuss. That made a lot of sense to me. Have you heard anything about that and what are your thoughts?

19. March 29, 2014 at 4:42 am

Things are changing so much, from when my sons were in school and obviously from when I was in school. I had three very different experiences, but one I want to tell you about because at the time it was experimental and I was most fortunate. I was in the 4th grade, but our classroom included students from 4-6, the classroom was large about 50 students with two teachers and 3 aides. We were sorted based on our competency in different subjects versus our age or ‘grade’. We only attended ‘class’ activities or lectures a few times a week, mostly we worked on packets, in the classroom in groups and individually. When we finished a packet we turned it in for grading and if we had completed it correctly we moved on to the next one. It was a great way to learn.

That school was a wonderful school and all of the students taking part in that program did very well. It is unfortunate they didn’t continue the ‘experimental’ program past the three years I was in the program.

I think you are doing a wonderful job. There are no rules beyond making loving decisions and helping our children flourish. You are doing this. What more is there?

20. March 29, 2014 at 2:15 pm

Oh Deb, you’re just beginning and I’m getting ready to end this crazy worlwind of the education gig; however, my oldest is going to be a teacher, so maybe a new part of it is just beginning. Lil’D is so blessed to have you for his mother (I believe that I have stated that before), and that you realize the need to be an advocate. He will succeed in finding his way, as you and your husband continue to advocate for him. Love your comment that you can’t remember the conversations that your mother was having with the teachers, even though you were in attendance, but you remember the feeling of having an advocate!! Seems to me you walked away with the most important message!! :)

21. March 30, 2014 at 9:47 am

My husband and I have often discussed what kind of education environment we want our daughter to be a part of, and she’s not even 9 months old yet! I take heart in the fact that there are more (affordable) options these days with charter schools, magnet schools and the like. I believe strongly in public education, but sometimes the mainstream schools aren’t best for kids. I hope that the school you visited turns out to be a good choice for Lil’D.

22. March 30, 2014 at 7:06 pm

I love
    “He is not walking away from me, but toward who he is meant to be”

I need to keep this in mind when I watch my boys grow – it makes it seem a little less sad that they are growing up!
    Thanks for that!

23. April 3, 2014 at 5:21 am

I read this last week and didn’t have time to comment. There are so, so many things that I love about this post. My favorite part is you knew you had your mom as your advocate. It’s an amazing feeling to know that someone loves you enough to intervene so that your needs are best being met. Lil’ D will know that same comforting feeling. :)

As a 16 year veteran of teaching, I’m in agreement with you about homework. There’s absolutely no reason that a four year-old child should have it. I taught 8 year-olds and limited my homework giving to very short, meaningful assignments–only when I felt that reinforcement of a concept was needed. It certainly was never ever an every night occurrence. It sounds like Lil’ D’s assignments are, in part, to condition him for tons more homework in the coming years in the current school system that he’s in.

While I was in college, I worked at the university preschool. It was discovery learning based with small stations of short, guided activities and hands-on lessons for the children to do, as well as lots of educational play, socialization, and community field trips. Worksheets and homework were never part of the curriculum and learning was fun.

I think you’re making a wise decision in moving him. You do want him to enjoy the process of learning and not see it as a necessary chore. You’re lucky to be in a large area with lots of choices, and I know you and A will make the very best choice for him. Your mom would be very proud of you! :) xx

24. April 20, 2014 at 11:12 am

There is no Homework in preschool that values child development, except homework that is a suggestion of fun activities to engage your child’s imagination and love of learning and connection with his world and the people in it. Preschoolers should be busy exploring the wide open spaces of life not narrow artificially defined spaces that make learning seem like a chore. Learning is sometimes a struggle, but it should be a meaningful experience that excites the quest for more learning. Hopefully the learning never stops. That is homework I guess, but it less about the work and more about continuously developing new possibilities.

1. March 28, 2014 at 9:01 am

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 2,959 other followers