Home > Blogging, Education, Parenting > Freshly Pressed, and it feels so good!

Freshly Pressed, and it feels so good!

Last week I wrote about why I don’t take my four-year-old son’s report card too seriously.

Freshly Pressed Deb was at least twenty times crazier than blonde Deb

From an old FP’d post, “Freshly Pressed Deb was at least twenty times crazier than blonde Deb”

Yesterday, the post was Freshly Pressed. I was excited about this post reaching a wider audience; with education being geared ever more toward measuring what’s measurable instead of raising critical thinkers, I was excited by the prospect of putting out a different kind of measure for success.

But I was a little nervous, too. Because comments. From strangers.

I’ve gotten used to loving, supportive comments from folks who’ve developed a pretty good sense of who I am over the last few years. They see any given post as part of a much larger picture, rather than its own miniature whole. Comments from strangers aren’t always like that. Hoo-boy, those comments can pack some wallop! Anyone who’s ever read more than one YouTube comment can confirm this.

Yesterday evening, I was delighted to see folks commenting kindly. There was only one responsive comment I asked my husband to review to ensure it really reflected both our opinions on report cards for four-year-olds.

After reading the original comment, Anthony was frustrated on my behalf. That’s part of why I married him, after all: He has a mighty urge to protect me, though I generally do a pretty good job of protecting myself! “Did this person even read your post? Did he understand what it was actually about?”

“Oh, hon,” I told him, chuckling, “I can see where he’s coming from. He’s probably had lots of frustrating conversations on similar topics. If that’s the furthest astray comment this post gets, I’ll be stoked!”

For more on the whys of that statement, you might check out my August post “Confidence from Blogging.” Here’s an excerpt:

Over the past couple of years, I’ve learned trying to write to other peoples’ liking is a great way to drive yourself nuts while still getting hammers lobbed from the peanut gallery. Sure, it’s good to touch people (in totally non-lecherous, respectful ways), and you’ve gotta write things readers will be touched or tickled (platonically) by to get ‘em coming back, but that can’t be the goal.

Whether or not you read that post, please accept my thanks for your respectful, considerate comments. I’m glad you’re here, whether or not we always agree, and I look forward to chatting more in the days ahead.

May the remainder of your year be sweet, and the new year even sweeter!

1. December 23, 2013 at 6:28 am | #1

you are funny, damn the torpedoes as they say, i hope you win a booker, amen

2. December 23, 2013 at 6:28 am | #3

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah and Mazel Tov! Love that this one about a role you are taking on with wisdom and joy is the one that was discovered.

• December 23, 2013 at 6:31 am | #4

I was SO happy when I got the note Thursday! The other two posts were silly ones I’d typed just so there wouldn’t be tumbleweeds on the blog . . . so for this one to be selected, well, you can imagine I got something in my eyes. Happy holidays, sweet friend! I’ve been thinking of you. ♥

3. December 23, 2013 at 6:47 am | #5

A MUCH deserved Freshly Pressed post :) You are smart not to take any negativity from the blogosphere to heart. I’m still working on that. Defensive is my go-to state of mind :)

• December 24, 2013 at 6:00 am | #6

Thank you! I’ve gotta admit, it’s easier some days than others. Most days, it’s water off my back. Then there are the days I want a gallon of Haagen-Dazs if someone so much as seems to be using a slightly critical tone. Over the last few years, I’ve learned I can plod through those days and leave them behind even if I skip the H-D. It doesn’t mean I always do, but it’s gotten a little easier. :D

4. December 23, 2013 at 8:15 am | #7

I think a bit of silly is good. I will slap the mean out of anyone who dares to lob hammers at you, just point me in the right direction me and your husband can form a wall of protection.

On the real though, I think people can sometimes read with a plank in their eye. It is easy to do, easy to see our own failures, our own fears and react. It is why I read twice sometimes, or read and then return before responding. There are times it simply doesn’t do to comment from my first gut reaction, this is true whether it is because I want to weep all over their blog or I want to scatter buckshot.

Loved the blonde!

• December 24, 2013 at 6:03 am | #8

A dash of silliness has helped through many hard times! The more I can find little glimmers of it, the better everything seems. :)

I try to do what you describe, too. Some days I sit down to comment on posts and realize that stepping away might just be my best bet.

And thank you. It is so good to be part of what feels like . . . almost a team. We might not win any Bowls, but we’ve got our merits for sure.

5. December 23, 2013 at 8:35 am | #9

Congrats! I am waaaayyyyyy behind on my reading so I missed the FP’d post. I will have to read it at lunch.

• December 24, 2013 at 6:04 am | #10

Thanks! In its wake, I’m thinking of writing a post about teachers. Although this was a post about report cards and my son and I didn’t want to spend a lot of time reflecting on the teacher aspect of things, I want to make clear teachers are not the culprit in this scenario! In fact, it’s hard to pinpoint just one thing that could be named culprit, but folks who want to change children’s lives? Not it!

6. December 23, 2013 at 9:27 am | #11

Congrats on Freshly Pressed!!

7. December 23, 2013 at 11:47 am | #13

Congratulations. I wrote a piece two months ago I am still getting comments on, some of which are longer than the post. But, I find that if you reply defending your argument, the vicious ones will be too embarrassed to reply back. In the end I’m grateful they are reading and the point is to spark debate, which we did. People disagree on earth, some just can’t handle it.

• December 24, 2013 at 6:08 am | #14

This is something I said in a reflection on book reviews. When I first published my novel . . . OK, let’s pretend I’m ever going to edit my others and call it my “first novel” . . . I wanted everyone to read and love it. Five-stars all around! A couple years out, I realized even one- and two-star reviews meant people were reading, and feeling strongly enough to say something afterwards. Maybe that’s part of how I’ve reached this point.

I do block an occasional comment here, such as one last night where the commenter called me a “hippie” without any actual thought or contribution to discussion. It didn’t feel like a personal hit. I just don’t want my blog to be the forum for name-calling, although courteous debate is fine!

• December 24, 2013 at 4:08 pm | #15

Maybe the blog could be a forum for name-calling if the names are silly/archaic, like “you flimflamming flibbertigibbet, you!” And “oh, scurrilous scalawag! Don’t be daft!” ;)

8. December 23, 2013 at 2:00 pm | #17

Hey Congrats for being freshly pressed. I read your post and it was amazing. And please don’t worry about comments from the strangers…I mean we strangers are humans with two ears like you ? We love you and I know you love me too now :P Many best wishes for Xmas….Have fun ! xx

9. December 23, 2013 at 3:33 pm | #20

Late to the party, as has become my standard. (And WAY more than a dollar short, but that’s a WHOLE ‘nother story. ;) ) Congrats on being FP’ed! Your writing deserves to be widely spread. (Whereas mine needs to be more deeply buried…. ;) )
    And a very Merry Christmas to you and yours!

10. December 23, 2013 at 4:09 pm | #23

Congrads on being freshly pressed – I am off to read the post that all the commotion is about. :-)

• December 24, 2013 at 6:10 am | #24

Thanks! I think/hope you read it knowing my beef is not with teachers, about whom I’m apt to write a second post. ♥

• December 24, 2013 at 8:33 am | #25

I completely understand where you were coming from!

11. December 24, 2013 at 11:14 am | #26

That a way … and Congratulations! Enjoy the time in the spotlight! … Off to read it. … and may the spirit of the holidays bring you peace and happiness. :)

• December 24, 2013 at 8:42 pm | #27

So far, so good! Last year, Li’l D didn’t seem to pay the holiday much mind, but this year he’s beside himself with excitement. The presents aren’t super exciting to him, but the prospect of Santa is . . . even if he spends half the time not convinced Santa is real. ;)

12. December 24, 2013 at 4:06 pm | #29

Oh, hooray on being FP! That’s exciting! I’ll head over now and read that post.

13. December 25, 2013 at 6:36 am | #31

Congratulations! Great accomplishment :) Happy Holidays!!

14. December 25, 2013 at 10:25 am | #33

Whoo hoo! :)

15. December 27, 2013 at 11:57 am | #35

Hi Deb! Congrats on the Freshly Pressed AGAIN! What a voice you bring to so many topics that are so important to the masses. I’ve enjoyed your blog so much over the years. I love that you’re back into it and never run out of life to write about! >hugs<

• December 28, 2013 at 7:42 am | #36

So good to see you, Marie! It’d been a couple of years since the last Freshly Pressed post, so I wasn’t holding my breath for another one. I’m so glad this was the one, and for everything I’m getting to learn as a parent. Some of the lessons are frustrating and painful, but many enhance my capacities for love and wonder. What a ride! *hugs*

16. December 29, 2013 at 4:16 am | #37

Congrats on being Freshly Pressed! I have been away for the week and just saw and commented on that… I’m glad the comments were positive, you brought up a great topic for discussion…

• January 1, 2014 at 10:52 am | #38

I’m still waiting for the onslaught of grumpy comments. It can’t be that easy, can it?! *remains suspicious*

It was a nice way to usher out the now-old year. :D

17. December 29, 2013 at 2:17 pm | #39

Congratulations, Deb – whoo hoo hoo! Couldn’t happen to a nicer blogger.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 2,443 other followers